FedEx Home forges my signature on an ISR pkg

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I ordered an expensive item (~$600) from a well known company that we all deliver from.
I'm tracking it and see that the shipper deemed it ISR (indirect sig. req.) I also see that it was due to be del'd on Tues. but, wait.
My cell phone rings Monday afternoon and here's how it goes:

me: "Hello, this is Mr. 7"
MM: "Hi, Mr. 7, this is Mickey Mouse from Fed Ex. I have a pkg. here for you from (insert well known brand name) do you want me to sign it off for you"?
me (confused) "Who is this"?
MM: "It's Mickey Mouse"
me: "Who? Is this Donald Duck"? (I happen to know the home driver's name. He doesn't know where I live and, that I'm an Express CRR)
MM: "No, Donald Duck works for me. He's off all this week" (So, it's the actual contractor) So, where do you want me to leave it"?
me: (I tell him a safe place to leave it)
End of conversation.

When I got on line and looked at who signed for it, it didn't say Mickey Mouse, it said Mr. 7. So, this is not a case like Upstate NY has had where he signs his name for a pkg. due to a customer's instruction. This is total forgery.

BB can argue that I did agree to let the guy sign for me (b/c I wanted the pkg.) but, I'm pretty certain that according to all FDX rules, Indirect sig. does not mean the driver can sign (either his name or, the recips. name) and then type in the recips. name as the consignee. If that were the case, I'd be calling all my ISR customers who aren't home and asking if I can just sign their name. (think Verizon).

BTW, I never told Mickey Mouse who I was or where I worked. This should go to all you guys, you never know who you're dealing with.

DS

Fenderbender
IMHO you told him where to leave the pkg,and he followed your instructions .
He,not knowing about the wisdom he would have had he been a bc member,
signs for the pkg on your behalf using some weird name he decides to use.
Unorthodox? yup,but he needs to be given credit for calling you instead of a NI 1 bye bye.
It bugs me that everyone frowns on these guys.They are just trying to make a living like you and me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
IMHO you told him where to leave the pkg,and he followed your instructions .
He,not knowing about the wisdom he would have had he been a bc member,
signs for the pkg on your behalf using some weird name he decides to use.
Unorthodox? yup,but he needs to be given credit for calling you instead of a NI 1 bye bye.
It bugs me that everyone frowns on these guys.They are just trying to make a living like you and me.

True, but now they're taking my living to make their living. Fred is the architect of this whole deal, so maybe he deserves our scorn.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not defending it one bit. File a complaint and follow up with it. Customer Service is a bitch, but you have every right to complain and see to it that steps are taken to eliminate the problem. I don't see why he didn't just come back the following day though. Indirect signatures can be handled with a delivery notice. And no, 7, I am not blown away at all.

CJinx

So, this is not a case like Upstate NY has had where he signs his name for a pkg. due to a customer's instruction.
I'm not even sure if that is allowed. But signing a customers name is all kinds of wrong and corrective action needs to be taken.

The strangest thing I've ever done to help satisfy an indirect sign is to have the customer (who isn't home and won't be around to leave a note) write me an email to my fedex.com address and I print that out and give it to a driver to attach to their signature card. haha

LTFedExer

Quite a while back, I sent a package DSR with Express. Only to see the courier released it. I found out who the courier was (we had access to the system back then) and called the station and left a message for him to call me. When I explained what he did was a terminable action, I heard in his voice....fear. I did let him know I wouldn't say anything, but you NEVER know who's package you're delivering. I'll bet he never released a DSR again.

I also knew a courier with 12 years that was fired for releasing a DSR. 2 weeks later ANOTHER courier (same station) with almost 20 years was fired for the same thing, but he got his job back. How? I have no clue.

When will people learn?

dvalleyjim

Ok, again, you told the guy to leave it, got the package and your still crying. I have to believe you anti-ground 'tude is at play here.

STFXG

Back a few years ago I had ordered a computer and was home for the week off. Driver forged my sig and left it outside my door in an apartment complex. Tore into him when I saw him again. It happens...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You don't this was a co-worker taking care of another co-worker?

It is rampant at Express, which has higher standards, so why wouldn't it be widespread at Ground as well? The pressure to "get it done", and work during breaks can be intense, because bringing back unattempted pkgs (Code1's) is going to get you yelled at, or maybe even a letter, and not making goal will get you a continual string of OLCC performance "reminders".

Again, over here at Express we often cover the same geographic area as several UPS drivers (I currently have 3 UPS drivers in my area), and we also have on-call pickups, where the customer can call any time up until the cut-off and be guaranteed a pickup. This makes for a lot of juggling. We also have regulars (house stops at UPS) that need to be worked in to the mix.

In short, it doesn't take much to mess up the flow and start the clock ticking against you. Granted, the UPS guys handle more pkgs and more stops, but they are much closer together, and a most of the pickups are house stops.

Forging signatures is rampant, because you don't have time to do an indirect, and you don't want to see the pkg again the next day. Many customers will just direct you to sign their name if they are not home because they want the pkg. I never do it, and I've never done it, but I absolutely know many couriers that do regularly, especially the suck-ups that want to get great numbers. Trouble is, they're fake, because they forge signatures and work through breaks. The smartphone has done alot to enable this. Just snap a picture of the ASTRA label, dleiver the pkg during your "lunch", and then refer back to the picture when you "POD" the pkg after your fake break.

Managers at FedEx don't have to worry about a union to check their power, and if they want to make life hard on you...they will. Like I said, all they care about is getting it done and making the numbers. Management knows full well how it works out on the road, and nothing is said until someone signs for "Joe Harris" and Joe is in Japan or something. Then, they follow through and the courier is fired or suspended.

STFXG

Back a few years ago I had ordered a computer and was home for the week off. Driver forged my sig and left it outside my door in an apartment complex. Tore into him when I saw him again. It happens...

You don't this was a co-worker taking care of another co-worker?

Home delivery and ground have separate buildings in my area. I had never met the guy. I do things by the book so it pissed me off that he cut corners. I was home in bed and by the time I threw a shirt on and walked to the door he was gone.

I knew his terminal manager so I went in the next week in the morning and asked who delivered to my house. Went and handled it personally. No need to get ex involved.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Quite a while back, I sent a package DSR with Express. Only to see the courier released it. I found out who the courier was (we had access to the system back then)

You guys don't have access to a computer terminal at your station?

but you NEVER know who's package you're delivering. ...
When will people learn?

You also never know which recipient is checking fedex.com every 5 minutes. I've never known a courier who admitted to faking sigs but I know some who have released resi pkgs before they were delivered. Anywhere between a few minutes and an hour or 2.

whenIgetthere

You guys don't have access to a computer terminal at your station?

You also never know which recipient is checking fedex.com every 5 minutes. I've never known a courier who admitted to faking sigs but I know some who have released resi pkgs before they were delivered. Anywhere between a few minutes and an hour or 2.

I know at least one courier who did this. I was sent to help this courier out on P2 during peak one year, I meant him around 1430, and he gave me some SOS due by 1500, but he asked me not to scan about 4 or 5 on the far end of the route, because he had already released them on the power pad. I told he could deliver those ones himself, and I'd take the rest. This was a 25 year man, who was being squeezed by his manager, but it's still no excuse. I'll take the lates over falsification any day.

bbsam

Staff member
This thread started about Ground/Home. The more that's posted, the more it sounds Express is no different. Except we make higher profits.

Goldilocks

I know at least one courier who did this. I was sent to help this courier out on P2 during peak one year, I meant him around 1430, and he gave me some SOS due by 1500, but he asked me not to scan about 4 or 5 on the far end of the route, because he had already released them on the power pad. I told he could deliver those ones himself, and I'd take the rest. This was a 25 year man, who was being squeezed by his manager, but it's still no excuse. I'll take the lates over falsification any day.

No excuse. And for that manager, well, he needs to be squeezed on his SFA...