FedEx To Expand Ground U.S. Operations To Six Days Per Week

12yearsaslave

So this is a dumb question- if the operation runs 6 days a week but the drivers only work 5 then who covers that extra day?
There are no dumb questions, just dumb people.
How do you think restaurants cover 7 days? does everyone work 7 days? what about cops? literally any other industry. Welcome to the 24/7 America.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people.
How do you think restaurants cover 7 days? does everyone work 7 days? what about cops? literally any other industry. Welcome to the 24/7 America.

Yeah no :censored2:. My point/view is if the FedEx contractor business model currently is for drivers to work five days and now all of sudden drivers may have to work six days a week that seems like it could be a major shift for everyone

Also if all of sudden as a contractor you have the expanse of another service day without the increase of packages per say how do you handle this?

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
They have been running trailers on Monday at our building for a few months now and we see a spike of about 10% per route. Now how are they going to find more linehaul people to do even more? They go over on hours of service as it is and that's why 90% of our late trailers are "late".

It will be fine

Yeah no :censored2:. My point/view is if the FedEx contractor business model currently is for drivers to work five days and now all of sudden drivers may have to work six days a week that seems like it could be a major shift for everyone

Also if all of sudden as a contractor you have the expanse of another service day without the increase of packages per say how do you handle this?
Fedex doesn’t care about your additional expense. Honestly if you’re running overlapped routes it’s not going to be a big deal. Stand alone HD contractors will have the biggest issue and I think Fedex will just use this as another incentive to run overlapped service areas. They’ll argue you’ll be more profitable getting another day of use out of your vehicles, it doesn’t matter that’s not true.

It is what it is. Adapt, sell out or abandon ship. Fedex doesn’t care one bit which choice you make.

In your opinion, if you are running 100 percent overlapped routes will increase expanse to a point where it will hurt overall profits? or will increase volume make up for any increase expanse?

It will be fine

In your opinion, if you are running 100 percent overlapped routes will increase expanse to a point where it will hurt overall profits? or will increase volume make up for any increase expanse?
Profit will go down, the increased expense always outweighs the increased revenue. The model is broken which is why you’re beginning to see systemic failures across the country.

bacha29

Profit will go down, the increased expense always outweighs the increased revenue. The model is broken which is why you’re beginning to see systemic failures across the country.
Broken model?......They just killed Cock Robin which is something everybody knew they would do eventually. It was never designed to do what Fat Freddy demands from it and even for it to be able to fulfill it's original objectives required an abundance of cheap energy and cheap labor.

BTW.. A couple of seeks ago ago Express called me over for an interview. I knew right from the very start what they were up to, bring in a couple of ancient artifacts for interviews for no other purpose than to make it look like they are compliant with age discrimination laws. Even though they were burning up my gas and I already knew that I wouldn't even be granted the common courtesy of a rejection letter I had nothing else going on that day so just for fun I played along with it.

vantexan

Broken model?......They just killed Cock Robin which is something everybody knew they would do eventually. It was never designed to do what Fat Freddy demands from it and even for it to be able to fulfill it's original objectives required an abundance of cheap energy and cheap labor.

BTW.. A couple of seeks ago ago Express called me over for an interview. I knew right from the very start what they were up to, bring in a couple of ancient artifacts for interviews for no other purpose than to make it look like they are compliant with age discrimination laws. Even though they were burning up my gas and I already knew that I wouldn't even be granted the common courtesy of a rejection letter I had nothing else going on that day so just for fun I played along with it.
Did you apply? Never knew FedEx to cold call prospective employees, ancient or otherwise.

bacha29

Did you apply? Never knew FedEx to cold call prospective employees, ancient or otherwise.
Two years ago just for fun I put my name on one of the job boards. In addition the former courier who was the regular guy in the work area I was at along with the swing driver who filled in for him remembered me and passed along my name to their station personnel awhile back. They're efforts were well meaning but I'm sure that they had no idea what the true intent was. Nevertheless it was a nice day for a drive over. Moreover, I perfectly contented with life as I currently know it and I do not from an economic perspective need to climb back in one of those tin coffins on wheels and go back out there.

vantexan

Two years ago just for fun I put my name on one of the job boards. In addition the former courier who was the regular guy in the work area I was at along with the swing driver who filled in for him remembered me and passed along my name to their station personnel awhile back. They're efforts were well meaning but I'm sure that they had no idea what the true intent was. Nevertheless it was a nice day for a drive over. Moreover, I perfectly contented with life as I currently know it and I do not from an economic perspective need to climb back in one of those tin coffins on wheels and go back out there.
So they did what they were supposed to do, but you were just having fun. And now you're claiming they had ulterior motives when actually you wasted their time. Of course they contacted you, they need people. Since I'm currently unemployed guess I should apply at a bunch of places then tell them I'm just having some fun at the interview. I'm sure they'll have a good laugh.

instiches

There is no increased revenue with this. They added another service day, but there isn't any 'new' additional volume in the system that comes with it.

I've long thought the model is being strained and pushed to the limits, but what systemic failures are you seeing? I don't see anything unusual in my area.

bacha29

So they did what they were supposed to do, but you were just having fun. And now you're claiming they had ulterior motives when actually you wasted their time. Of course they contacted you, they need people. Since I'm currently unemployed guess I should apply at a bunch of places then tell them I'm just having some fun at the interview. I'm sure they'll have a good laugh.
They'll no doubt have a good laugh if based on their belief that I didn't know the game they were playing. Then again you left voluntarily so what difference does it make whether or not I took their motives seriously.
BTW if things over there in Bezerkistan , Lower Slobovia or wherever the hell it was you were were as great as you claim you should have easily found gainful employment and stayed there.

vantexan

They'll no doubt have a good laugh if based on their belief that I didn't know the game they were playing. Then again you left voluntarily so what difference does it make whether or not I took their motives seriously.
BTW if things over there in Bezerkistan , Lower Slobovia or wherever the hell it was you were were as great as you claim you should have easily found gainful employment and stayed there.
Didn't need gainful employment there, and I'm back in the States. What I would never do is mess around with the hiring process. It isn't a game, they wouldn't have contacted you if they weren't looking for employees. Believe it or not there are couriers in their 60's, and in a tight labor market they have to consider everyone. You have a chip on your shoulder about your Ground experience, I get that. But please don't talk about them trying to look like they are filling some government obligation when it was you who screwed with them.

bacha29

Didn't need gainful employment there, and I'm back in the States. What I would never do is mess around with the hiring process. It isn't a game, they wouldn't have contacted you if they weren't looking for employees. Believe it or not there are couriers in their 60's, and in a tight labor market they have to consider everyone. You have a chip on your shoulder about your Ground experience, I get that. But please don't talk about them trying to look like they are filling some government obligation when it was you who screwed with them.
I went through the process looking as interested as possible but when they saw me with no hat and all the gray hair they clearly had a surprised look on their their faces making it quite obvious that I'm older than they thought I was. ......Which by the way may I remind you that given all of your whining and waaing and tales of unjust treatment at the hands of X what difference does it make to you how I responded to their questions? They interview fresh meat everyday and given the turnover and retirements ask yourself this question: Why would they hire a retirement age person to replace another retirement age individual who has retired?

It will be fine

There is no increased revenue with this. They added another service day, but there isn't any 'new' additional volume in the system that comes with it.

I've long thought the model is being strained and pushed to the limits, but what systemic failures are you seeing? I don't see anything unusual in my area.
The new revenue should come from growth. They are currently targeting large shippers that “may” give us more volume with the additional residential service day. It’s a move to keep up with current market conditions so as not to lose shippers with the potential to gain more.

There are multiple ISPs failing around here. I know of at least 7 contracts being terminated in the surrounding areas over the last year. Hundreds of DNAs everyday. Fedex is offering contingency stop rates and they still aren’t getting any takers. ISPs are stretched too thin already to help Fedex out even if they wanted to, which most don’t.

bacha29

The new revenue should come from growth. They are currently targeting large shippers that “may” give us more volume with the additional residential service day. It’s a move to keep up with current market conditions so as not to lose shippers with the potential to gain more.

There are multiple ISPs failing around here. I know of at least 7 contracts being terminated in the surrounding areas over the last year. Hundreds of DNAs everyday. Fedex is offering contingency stop rates and they still aren’t getting any takers. ISPs are stretched too thin already to help Fedex out even if they wanted to, which most don’t.
You've been around long enough to know that they come up with theses crazy new operating models but from that point onward it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution. Just wait until the HD barcode label is eliminated and everything is under the Ground bar code label.
I sure you obviously know that X sees Saturday purely from the standpoint of unused capacity and come hell or high water they are going to capitalize on it to the full extent and you the contractor will continue to be dragged along behind.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
You've been around long enough to know that they come up with theses crazy new operating models but from that point onward it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution. Just wait until the HD barcode label is eliminated and everything is under the Ground bar code label.
I sure you obviously know that X sees Saturday purely from the standpoint of unused capacity and come hell or high water they are going to capitalize on it to the full extent and you the contractor will continue to be dragged along behind.
How will I know what to throw across the belt if it has no H!!!!