FedEx to give employees bonuses, raises, 401k

Downwardspiral

Watched that headline on a news channel earlier today. They are just advancing the raises to april.
While I am thrilled to be getting a raise much sooner, they are just giving us back something they took away a couple of years ago,( April raises vs. Oct.),and then touting it as rewarding their employees because of the new tax plan. In my opinion, they only did it to keep up the optics of a "people company"
This, exactly.

fedex_rtd

This is all nice, but every one needs to remember we used to get a pay action in March, we went 18 months without a raise a few years ago, so in my eyes this is just returning what we lost.

Now if we got our traditional pension back, along with the 2nd & 3rd shift pay they also took away from us, then I would say this is a good deal. Otherwise it’s something that should have happened earlier.

!Retired!

Good points. But it could also be seen as giving raises six months apart. Still, I don’t want to wait 18 months for the next raise.
You're getting October raise in April. No matter how you look at it, you come out ahead. Example..I would make over $1000 more in the 6 months from April 1 - October 1. That's assuming a step progression bump and 35 hour work week. 1 thing though....the October raise is in the 2019 budget. But, I wouldn't hold mt breath waiting for both.
What is $200,000,000 divided by 400,000 employees? A whopping 500 bucks.
I would make over $1000 based on a step bump and 35 hour week.

Oldfart

Will say it again on this post. People are getting a raise just a few months after getting up to 7% raise and still are complaining. People will complain no matter what. Bummer

Oldfart

Let's take a closer look at this thing.

1. Pay raise. All they're doing is front loading you're raise but in doing so they're extending the timeline between raises.

2. Pension contribution: In all likelihood all they're doing is prepaying their future pension obligations for the benefit of future hires much in the same way the USPS is currently doing.

3. Expansion and modernization of hubs. The key here is modernization which likely means more automation and while they do plan to expand the automation they plan to introduce takes the luster off the expansion plans. The end result could mean a net loss of jobs.

4: The takeaway: In keeping with past practice X again gives you one thing and takes it back someplace else. In addition it would appear this action is indeed designed to avoid giving high profile bonus's the hourly X employees in order to avoid putting ground contractor's in a position of having to do the same for their employee drivers thereby keeping Ground's double digit margins in place. You can't help but be impressed by their cleverness.
Maybe you can go make some MAKE BELIEVE stock purchases again.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Let's take a closer look at this thing.

1. Pay raise. All they're doing is front loading you're raise but in doing so they're extending the timeline between raises.

Employees get an extra 6 months at a higher rate and you seem to think that's not good.

2. Pension contribution: In all likelihood all they're doing is prepaying their future pension obligations for the benefit of future hires much in the same way the USPS is currently doing.

Don't know why this would bother you.

3. Expansion and modernization of hubs. The key here is modernization which likely means more automation and while they do plan to expand the automation they plan to introduce takes the luster off the expansion plans. The end result could mean a net loss of jobs.

Can't have any of that modern stuff, can we?

4: The takeaway: In keeping with past practice X again gives you one thing and takes it back someplace else.

Where are they taking it back?

In addition it would appear this action is indeed designed to avoid giving high profile bonus's the hourly X employees in order to avoid putting ground contractor's in a position of having to do the same for their employee drivers thereby keeping Ground's double digit margins in place. You can't help but be impressed by their cleverness.

It's not often that I read stupid posts, but when I do, they're usually written by you.

59 Dano

We got an email today saying they are giving us raises in April, step progression raises. Its hard to tell by he terminology they used if we will also be getting one in October, or if it's just they are advancing the raises to April. But for sure, we are getting raises in April this year due to the tax plan.

News reports FWIW are saying that the 2018 raises will be enacted six months early. That suggests that they are moving them up and not granting another in October.

bacha29

Employees get an extra 6 months at a higher rate and you seem to think that's not good.

Don't know why this would bother you.

Can't have any of that modern stuff, can we?

Where are they taking it back?

It's not often that I read stupid posts, but when I do, they're usually written by you.
It would appear that you haven't been around Ground very much . As for Express the discussion surrounding pension and healthcare issues recently it looks like Express may have taken a cue from Ground.

59 Dano

I don’t remember starting a day with prayer either. I DO remember bible class in public elementary school. That’s how I still remember some of the first books of the Bible. Lol.

I remember when it wasn't a big deal if students wanted to pray in school. I have a kid on a sports team and the players prayed with their coach before each game. The parent of another student (not on the team) raised hell about it. Apparently, no one who works for the school system in any capacity can lead the prayer. The team captain immediately decided to lead the team and coaching staff in pregame prayers, which only ticked off that one parent even more and became a much bigger deal than had she not made a rear end of herself.

bacha29

I remember when it wasn't a big deal if students wanted to pray in school. I have a kid on a sports team and the players prayed with their coach before each game. The parent of another student (not on the team) raised hell about it. Apparently, no one who works for the school system in any capacity can lead the prayer. The team captain immediately decided to lead the team and coaching staff in pregame prayers, which only ticked off that one parent even more and became a much bigger deal than had she not made a rear end of herself.
Murray vs. Curlett has stood for 55 years and after 55 years I believe that it's safe to say that it's finished law. So tell me something. What does school prayer have to do with this morning's Fedex announcement?.