Fedex to pay $228 million to settle independent contractor case

bbsam

Staff member
Its the system, our managers are decent. However, they are on the reward system with DNA (did not arrive/attempt) which I am assuming you all know what that means. If they keep there 98 or 99% for the terminal they are rewarded. I believe they don't personally care about customer service from the heart but its all about their bonus but they discuss as truly caring about the customers package. Lets cut through the crap and be real now.....
For some reason one of the ops managers let slip that I have to fail at 85% of what the region does for a day before they can approach me about service numbers. 85%! I could leave a whole route sit.for a day and still beat 85%!.

gixxer squid

The only time they ask me that is right before peak, but it makes sense then.
Gixxer, you can pretty much ignore them on vehicle appearance. It's at your discretion to maintain your trucks at a standard consistent to customer expectations. They've been hassling me for 4 years about the same rims and some mirrors being rusted on the back. I say, "thanks, I'll get right on it." I haven't done a thing and have no intention to and they still pay me for it. Press them on providing an actual standard beyond what some dude from maintenance says on any given day. They won't provide one so it goes back to your discretion. It always ruffles the feathers of new managers but there's nothing they can do about it.

Interesting. They have given every contractor by June 15 to get everything on their (fedex) list fixed or we cannot enter into negations (LOL) for ISP. We have had to repaint 6 of our trucks at a cost of 2400 per truck including new decals. I will admit, 2 or maybe 3 at most needed a touch up but all 6, no way. There goes 3 months of profits now. On one of the trucks, the loaders leaned boxes all up the side scratching our 1 week old truck, luckily we went to manager with photo's and he actually accepted responsibility and is going to have the truck fixed. Another truck just painted our :censored2: driver was pulling forward, yes forward, not backing into, out of his numbered space and side swiped the yellow pole leaving scratches 10 feet down the side. To make matters worse, he did not tell us and I saw and he said he didn't know it happened. LOL Serious gouges down the side and you can't feel it. He was let go.......

We are also dealing with the CARB laws in California. We were FORCED into getting rid of 2 trucks, a 86 and 89 because of the laws in Cali and them being over the new mandatory age. The saddest part about that was that these TWO trucks gave us the absolute least amount of maintenance including the newer trucks in our fleet. Those 2 trucks while not pretty outside, were superstars. Now we have two truck payments that we did not have before. There goes profits again....

I think my friend that things have changed and they have tightened the screws for ISP from whence some of you guys initially got in....

gixxer squid

Gixxer isn't looking in the right places.

Its with a broker now.......

We found a buyer and we agreed on the amount 6 months ago but he could only come up with half money up front and wanted us to carry remainder. As long as we are carrying, I am still responsible. No thanks, I want to walk away and never look back.....

gixxer squid

When I was at ground years back, I watched as contractors would buy out other contractors. Eventually years down the road, I can still see each ground terminal be run by one single contractor. It's like a game of monopoly, eventually there is only one winner.

And the winner is FRED!!!!!! Next.......

gixxer squid

Two larger contractors were bought out within two months of listing them in our terminal $700k and $800k and a couple singles as well. There are many, many buyers if you are in the right areas

2 new contractors in our Hub as well. The smaller one is doing ok but the larger one is struggling 20+ PSA's he took on with no experience. Has asked us for trucks and help, I try when possible but just shake my head and wonder why on earth anyone would take on such a large responsibility without having any experience whatsoever. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many DNA'S they have had the past few months as now the info is on myfedexground biz if you know where to look.

I can only imagine how many times management has called them in asking "what is your plan." The sad part is they are really trying but the vultures are already circling waiting to get a few crumbs. They actually appealed to the fedex customer relations with a very well written thought-out letter. They are still wondering why they have not received any acknowledgment and response. I told him, "Who pays the salary for our customer relations rep, do we as contractors or Fedex?" The face had kind of a blank look to it, end of story. They only look out after their own asses....

FedGT

20+??
That is ridiculous no one should step into a mess bigger than 4-6 without experience unless there are a couple managers in place and even that could be a massive stretch. Heart goes out to them, I started in a very rough patch and can't imagine being on the brink of losing everything with all the anxiety that goes with it.

TUT

I believe they don't personally care about customer service from the heart but its all about their bonus but they discuss as truly caring about the customers package.

You mean they are Americans? Face it none of us are going in on Monday because it's just cool to help people.