Fedex vacation

MAKAVELI

When you quit you will get 2 paper checks. One with all the hours worked your last week, and a separate one with all unused vacation. The vacation one may or may not arrive the same day your last hours worked check arrives (Fri after last pay period).
That depends on your state laws. Some states ( like California) require the employer to pay both at the time of termination or resignation.

overflowed

I think makelveli is right. Sounds like too many different ideas on this topic. When I left this :censored2: hole , I was given 1 check for 4500 dollars. My last week, vacation plus my left over days. They also called me immediately the next day after I left and wanted me to pick it up right then. Don't know why.

!Retired!

You have to work at least June 1st(into next FY) to receive the next years vacation checks, he wants you to leave on the 26th to avoid paying them.
Wrong. Vacation time is accrued based on your hire date. You do not have to work until the new fiscal year before quitting to get paid for it.
I though vacation was earned the previous year. June 1 gets the sick days and personals and floaters. Might be wrong.
You are correct...THOSE you do not get paid for when quitting.

BootsOnTarmac

I wonder if next year I can take all of my 4 weeks in May and then take 4 weeks in June and then quit at the beginning of July? Assuming I have the seniority.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I wonder if next year I can take all of my 4 weeks in May and then take 4 weeks in June and then quit at the beginning of July? Assuming I have the seniority.

Yep. Or you can sit on all of your vacation time. Quit at the end of May and get paid for the 4 weeks for that FY and the 4 weeks that you accrued for the upcoming FY.

MAKAVELI

Yep. Or you can sit on all of your vacation time. Quit at the end of May and get paid for the 4 weeks for that FY and the 4 weeks that you accrued for the upcoming FY.
I would think sitting on all your vacation for the whole year would raise a flag with management.

outtatime

Many years ago at the ramp I worked at there was a CTV driver that took 3 weeks in a row off. His first day back they sent him for a drug test, which he refused. He was fired immediately.

BootsOnTarmac

I believe we have answered the OP's question. He will get what he has accrued. Everyone, don't forget to Honor those on this Memorial Day. If you are out today or tomorrow don't hesitate to thank the guy / gal wearing a cap stating their service. You might just be thanking my Father, who is the strongest Man I have ever known.

!Retired!

I would think sitting on all your vacation for the whole year would raise a flag with management.
Not necessarily. There's plenty of couriers that go overseas for 2-3 weeks. So taking all 4 at once wouldn't be unheard of. But, if you were going to quit, why not.....not use this years vacation and quit at the end of April. You would then get a check for 8 weeks of unused vacation.

MAKAVELI

Not necessarily. There's plenty of couriers that go overseas for 2-3 weeks. So taking all 4 at once wouldn't be unheard of. But, if you were going to quit, why not.....not use this years vacation and quit at the end of April. You would then get a check for 8 weeks of unused vacation.
Scheduling and sitting on mean two different things to me.To do as Dano suggested you'd have to not schedule your 4 weeks at all.

dezguy

Scheduling and sitting on mean two different things to me.To do as Dano suggested you'd have to not schedule your 4 weeks at all.
This is my plan for the year I retire. Gonna try to get a waiver from the DM, sit on all my vacation and use it before I retire. May as well leave 5 weeks early and still get paid for it before I have to start withdrawing from my FedEx and personal RRSP's

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is my plan for the year I retire. Gonna try to get a waiver from the DM, sit on all my vacation and use it before I retire. May as well leave 5 weeks early and still get paid for it before I have to start withdrawing from my FedEx and personal RRSP's

That's how it generally works here------they determine our retirement eligibility date and we work backward from that date, subtracting vacations, personal and/or sick days, to determine our last working day. We receive those checks all at the same time and will receive our first pension check on the first day of the month following our retirement date.

vantexan

Don't know how it works in Canada but in the States there's some lag time between when you leave and when you get your retirement funds. FedEx makes Vanguard wait 45 days to pay out your 401k for example. If someone has 10 plus years in and doesn't take any vacation before leaving that fiscal year they'd get their 4 weeks plus any time accrued in the new year. Leave early December you'd have 6 weeks coming to you. Can really help out in the time between leaving and your pension starting or getting 401k money.