Fedex vs Southwest part time jobs

fedexdave

Well I have been offered both jobs at the same time, no way I can work the schedule out to work both of them (fedex said this was ok).
Here is the matchup
Southwest P/T Ramp TWU 555 local $10.28 an hour with a $26.00 hour 11 year top out
30 hours per week. Overtime , shift trades etc
FedEx Material Handler Ramp Side 13.28$ an hour 17.5 hours per week must work a year before doing anything else, however they said u may get extra hours when its busy..

Please comment what you think?

fedexdave

oh they both got benefits, healthcare. flight benefits etc.. Southwest health insurance for part timers is like $523 a month ( not worth it). I wasn't planning on getting any healthcare as Im already on a plan till the end of the year.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
First of all, there basically IS no top out anymore at FedEx and for those Material Handlers who are lucky enough to have reached top out, it is $19 and change. That varies by district though. Some higher, some lower.

FedEx will keep you at or below 17.5 hours except for Peak when they will beg you to work. The insurance is cheaper than insurance at Southwest but it has high deductibles and copays. It's only good for preventive care and you have to be careful with that too.

There is room for advancement to Ramp Agent, RTD (tractor trailer driver), courier or CSA (customer service agent), as far as hourly goes, but again, no top out. You'll have to weigh it out.

fedexdave

Ramp Agent, RTD are those full time positions? I have a class A CDL OTR, but I been OTR and the time away from home was just horrible..

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ramp Agent, RTD are those full time positions? I have a class A CDL OTR, but I been OTR and the time away from home was just horrible..

Yes. I think Ramp Agents are only FT. It's hard to get a FT RTD position. You would probably have to go PT first. FedEx Express RTD mostly go from airport to stations and back. There are some longer hauls, but they come back every day.

In some areas they're having a hard time keeping RTD's so anything's possible.

fedexdave

I think I have to wait a year.. but fedex said I could work for American or some other airline part time or full time if I could work the schedule.... I don't need the insurance im on my wife's plan...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I think I have to wait a year.. but fedex said I could work for American or some other airline part time or full time if I could work the schedule.... I don't need the insurance im on my wife's plan...

If I didn't need insurance, I think I would rather work at Southwest. They seem much happier there.

MAKAVELI

If you have a class a , check with UPS Freight. I've seen many openings for city and road drivers. They are union with excellent pay and benefits.

overflowed

Yes. I think Ramp Agents are only FT. It's hard to get a FT RTD position. You would probably have to go PT first. FedEx Express RTD mostly go from airport to stations and back. There are some longer hauls, but they come back every day.

In some areas they're having a hard time keeping RTD's so anything's possible.
I know for a fact they have part time ramp agents now.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Full time ramp agent positions were eliminated at the hub I'm at. However, I know several that worked as much as 120 hours a week (yes I said week) during last peak. One agent slept in his car in the parking lot, only going home to shower. Claimed the paycheck was worth it.

Serf

Maybe I am biased, but it sounds like the grass is greener at Southwest. Promotions, promised wage scale, etc.

SmithBarney

Southwest definitely has better flight benefits... while FedEx might say we do, we are the very last people on the standby list...unless you are going somewhere boring, getting a flight is really hopeless.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well I have been offered both jobs at the same time, no way I can work the schedule out to work both of them (fedex said this was ok).
Here is the matchup
Southwest P/T Ramp TWU 555 local $10.28 an hour with a $26.00 hour 11 year top out
30 hours per week. Overtime , shift trades etc
FedEx Material Handler Ramp Side 13.28$ an hour 17.5 hours per week must work a year before doing anything else, however they said u may get extra hours when its busy..

Please comment what you think?

Go with SWA. Better company, more hours, a union, and much better travel benefits. You will never top-out at FedEx, and as a Material Handler you'll probably start at 0300, get 4 hours or so, and be sent home, except when there is late freight or at Peak. As an added bonus, you'll be treated like crap and expected to be 100% dedicated.

Southwest.

hypo hanna

Southwest is the way to go. Far better treatment of their front line employees. Also they are expanding with new routes all the time. If you are young and willing to move some, there should be lots of opportunities to advance.