FEEDER 101: Other Work

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Better study it really well if your gonna put that in. Lol
We have a guy that every single day has a dead 20 minutes between his last pickup and a letterbox. He has the DOK sheet posted above him in his package car. Tells us every day he sits there and studies it and codes it either as T84 or O77. Did his yearly ride along two weeks ago. Couldn't remember about half of them. It was so bad it was funny.

Johney

We have a guy that every single day has a dead 20 minutes between his last pickup and a letterbox. He has the DOK sheet posted above him in his package car. Tells us every day he sits there and studies it and codes it either as T84 or O77. Did his yearly ride along two weeks ago. Couldn't remember about half of them. It was so bad it was funny.
The OP is talking about feeder, try and keep up.

bluehdmc

If you're driving all around a yard looking for a trailer that's not on the spot it's supposed to be, "Late Dispatch Delay". I was told to do that by an on-road. It keeps you off a report for too much "on property time".

If I'm waiting for a trailer to be loaded, "Equipment, trailer no ready delay".

We used to use central sort for that but they told us to use this, it's their toy, I just work as directed.

When they pull us into the office with a steward it's, "Approved Meeting".

trickpony1

bluehdmc-
Any "other work" options that might make management look bad have been removed from our IVIS.

We had "gate delay" but, as you might guess, it disappeared.

After all, everything is the drivers fault.....

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Usually just meal or central sort. If they want me to do anything else they can come tell me and I'll work as directed.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We used to use "training" as a catch-all-when-in-doubt-time coverage whenever we were in the office for most reasons. There wasn't a week went by that our feeder department didn't have to fill out at least a 2-page safety quiz. And any time called in to talk about the hot button topic for that time (pull times, ta times, etc.)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They made a big deal about not going on central sort til we burn at least 45 minutes of meal so if it's early in the shift I'll just stay on TA. If they want me to do something different they can come tell me about it, I don't really care tbh.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I suppose every area is going to be a little different. As others have said, going into the office to answer sups questions, we automatically go onto "Other Work" and usually code it as Approved Meeting. If the safety guys want to talk, it's Training. When I run a route that has Central Sort built in, I go on Other Work, and stay on it until I'm done with meal, hooking up and Central Sort. I'll just code it all in separately when I'm done. If I run a Bid Cover job, which is just covering a time slot, and they're not sure what they'll have me do that particular night, they tell us to go on Other Work, Washer while we pre-trip and wait for an assignment.

Like I said, each building tends to do things a little differently. I don't worry about it, and just follow instructions. Never decide these things on your own. I always have a supervisor's name who instructed me, in the likely event that another supervisor asks why I'm doing what I'm doing.