Feeder and Disability

undies

Hello. I was wondering what the physical requirements are for being a feeder driver? I’m assuming they’re the same as package…but hoping they’re not! Currently I am labeled as permanently disabled with a 40 pound restriction…definitely can’t go back to driving like that. My hope is the weight limits are different somehow and I can convince my doctor to adjust the restrictions. I really don’t want to have to take some clerk job in the hub 😤

quad decade guy

Can you pass a DOT physical?
Don't think it matters....

He can't lift past 40 lbs. We have to be able to lift at least 70.....in case of loading a trailer.....that happens every day in feeders. I can think of several other scenarios requiring 40 pounds of force.....

Otherwise he can't do the job(as designed).

Now.....ADA accommodations.....whole other subject.

undies

Don't think it matters....

He can't lift past 40 lbs. We have to be able to lift at least 70.....in case of loading a trailer.....that happens every day in feeders. I can think of several other scenarios requiring 40 pounds of force.....

Otherwise he can't do the job(as designed).

Now.....ADA accommodations.....whole other subject.
Alright, with that line of thinking, would a set restriction of 70 pounds be ok? I know as package we have to be able to do up to 150 pounds, with help, IIRC. Im just trying to think of a way to sell it the doctor, so I can get behind the wheel of a truck, even if its feeder.

over9five

Staff member
How heavy is a dolly tounge
Ya, I was thinking along those lines. Theyre supposed to be counterweighted so theyre not more than 70 lbs.
BUT, we all know sometimes you have to move it... a few inches.. maybe out of a hole. Can be WAY more than 70 lbs force required to do so.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hello. I was wondering what the physical requirements are for being a feeder driver? I’m assuming they’re the same as package…but hoping they’re not! Currently I am labeled as permanently disabled with a 40 pound restriction…definitely can’t go back to driving like that. My hope is the weight limits are different somehow and I can convince my doctor to adjust the restrictions. I really don’t want to have to take some clerk job in the hub 😤
You will be perfect for feeders…sign that next list! As long as you can lift that 64 Oz Pepsi you get at the loves truck stop you will be fine…

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ya, I was thinking along those lines. Theyre supposed to be counterweighted so theyre not more than 70 lbs.
BUT, we all know sometimes you have to move it... a few inches.. maybe out of a hole. Can be WAY more than 70 lbs force required to do so.
Like the super truckers who move it 100 feet across the yard then have to do the heave ho to move it 90 degrees to hook it up to a trailer… lol saw that many times when I had a shifting run… so stupid

undies

lol. Its not that I literally am unable to lift either 40 or 70 pounds. The doctor set me up as a preventative measure, I can do the job now, but they think if I keep at it, I will get seriously worse, which means more liability for UPS. Im hoping if the heavy lifting of feeder is maybe once a day, as opposed to all day every day in package, they will allow me to do it. Also, I'm already on the list, top 10, so I can be in the next class as soon as my doctor gives me the ok. Just gotta convince him somehow...

Karma...

if working in feeders makes you anxious then see if you can work inside in the small sort. ....that has worked well for many drivers who are not 100%.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Bro just lose weight.

I've actually lost 10lbs in 2 months by being EXTREMELY careful about what I eat. No pop only water, almost no alcohol, high protein foods only.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Like the super truckers who move it 100 feet across the yard then have to do the heave ho to move it 90 degrees to hook it up to a trailer… lol saw that many times when I had a shifting run… so stupid
Exactly- many of those yard horses are equipped with dolly spotting devices. Seems it would be easier to be nice to the shifter and politely ask him to move a dolly if necessary.

PCM Troll

I can't remember the last time I lifted anything more than 20lbs in feeders. The hardest part of my day is fine tuning the A/C so that the temperature inside the cab is just right.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Exactly- many of those yard horses are equipped with dolly spotting devices. Seems it would be easier to be nice to the shifter and politely ask him to move a dolly if necessary.
Damn right… there were times where I pretty much built sets for people who were behind or had to go to the power shop for something…they appreciated the gesture and it gave me something to do between moves…sometimes shifting is boring as hell..

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You have to be able to lift a dolly. When you get some seniority you can bid a run that just has single trailers

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I’ve seen people do some stupid things with dollys and I know just by the way they were jerking them around that the next time they woke up their backs were absolutely going to be jacked. Think our top 2 injuries in feeder are screwed up backs and shoulders because of dollys and slipping or falling out of the tractor….lol go figure.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My favorite is watching a dolly start to roll and the drivers are trying to stop it from rolling.. even seen a few hop up on the frame to slow it down and ride it like a damn snowboard…their extra weight didn’t do anything… word of advice, just let it roll…it’s like 2500+lbs and once it start to go just let it go…lol