Feeder driver fired for refusing unsafe trailer?

local804

Anyone hear anything about the feeder driver who was fired because he refused to take a trailer that had damaged brakes? Farmingdale bldg?

yuhjnm

yuhjnm
no but i will ask some feeder drivers at suffolk... off topic but i did hear smithtown and kings park will go to the Suffolk bldg in the stony brook center i dont have a date yet

Mechman

Anyone hear anything about the feeder driver who was fired because he refused to take a trailer that had damaged brakes? Farmingdale bldg?
Local when you say damaged brakes, What was wrong with the brakes and was the auto shop aware of the problem?

Fredless

APWA Hater
I hope he has a nice savings account, he should enjoy his nice paid vacation at company expense.

I really do not get management...what are they trying to prove?

raceanoncr

DOT clearly states that a driver will not be disciplined for refusing to drive unsafe equipment.

BUT, the catch is...was it really unsafe or perceived (by him) to be unsafe? To me, ANYTHING wrong with the brakes is unsafe. Did he go to the shop and have it dianosed? Did the shop refuse to fix it? That still does not mean the driver has to take this equip.

There is a DOT 800 number I have to report management forcing or disciplining drivers for unsafe equipment. Will dig it up if some on here want it.

New Englander

DOT clearly states that a driver will not be disciplined for refusing to drive unsafe equipment.

BUT, the catch is...was it really unsafe or perceived (by him) to be unsafe? To me, ANYTHING wrong with the brakes is unsafe. Did he go to the shop and have it dianosed? Did the shop refuse to fix it? That still does not mean the driver has to take this equip.

There is a DOT 800 number I have to report management forcing or disciplining drivers for unsafe equipment. Will dig it up if some on here want it.

That would be an interesting number to have. Feel free to PM it or post it.

Thanks

moodaddy247

I can't drive 55
I questioned my hub mgr. about a power unit (tractor) that I had written up in the DVIR bout six months ago. I had informed my boss that this 'boat anchor':censored2: truck need not be in service for which we use it. I advised him of what the shop had informed me of...to which his reply was 'what do you want me to do? crap a tractor right here for you or what?' If the shop says its ok to run ...then its ok to run. Well, thats true if its running in the city or in the yard to be a shift tractor...not a road tractor.

We as Drivers must be vigilant in letting our Supervisors be made aware of our equpiment issues...even if we have to but heads about it from time to time.
To my benefit; there were a half a dozen other drivers who witnessed our lil' blow up in dispatch. Mgmt says were not getting any more equpiment until fall. But yet, they continue to bring on seasonals; and more PC drivers up to feeders...but yet the rest of us feeder drivers (who lack seniority to them) aren't working a 40 hour work week. Now; somebody plz explain that one to me.:whiteflag:

local804

Local when you say damaged brakes, What was wrong with the brakes and was the auto shop aware of the problem?

I am hearing bits and pieces of this story and still have not found out what driver it was. I hear there were 2 major cracks in the pads and the shop cleared the trailer safe for the road. He didnt feel safe still, refused to take it, then was fired. He called the union on the spot and was told to have another mechanic in the shop look at it. The second mechanic said the trailer was unsafe for the road and proceeded to fix the pads. If anyone knows what driver this was, please pm me.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I am hearing bits and pieces of this story and still have not found out what driver it was. I hear there were 2 major cracks in the pads and the shop cleared the trailer safe for the road. He didnt feel safe still, refused to take it, then was fired. He called the union on the spot and was told to have another mechanic in the shop look at it. The second mechanic said the trailer was unsafe for the road and proceeded to fix the pads.
Good for him! He was only protecting himself & the public from a possible disaster. I always used the trump card about what if it was the Sup's family or a bus load of school kids that got run over by me being forced to take unsafe equipment. Suddenly the laod of packages wasn't that important!

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
I am hearing bits and pieces of this story and still have not found out what driver it was. I hear there were 2 major cracks in the pads and the shop cleared the trailer safe for the road. He didnt feel safe still, refused to take it, then was fired. He called the union on the spot and was told to have another mechanic in the shop look at it. The second mechanic said the trailer was unsafe for the road and proceeded to fix the pads. If anyone knows what driver this was, please pm me.
If he'd have taken that unsafe trailer out on the road and had an accident mngmnt woulda fired him for an avoidable accident..guarantee it:whiteflag:

local804

One mechanic gave the OK for service call along with a supervisor. The driver had a 2nd mechanic (trailer mech) look at the brakes, after he was put on a 72, and he said it was unsafe for the road. They fixed the brakes on the spot and the driver hasnt heared anything about his 72(go figure). Does a non trailer mechanic have a right to say if a trailer is road safe? What would have happened to the driver if the trailer mechanic didnt look at when he brought it there the second time? Why does UPS take things to levels where they dont have to go? I cant wait and see what transpires out of this mess.

wannabeups

2 MAJOR CRACKS in brake pad are you kidding me? They were gonna allow it on the road the driver did the right thing.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I got thinking about some of the fiasco's I have witnessed with trailers over the years. Most of the time automotive management wants to put a band aid on the problem instead of fixing it right. The last incident happened in Jersey in below zero weather when the brakes caught on fire because of frozen air lines. The driver got the Meadowlands shop to fix??, unthaw the air lines. He lost over an hour on the BOP. The brakes started smoking again by the time he reached Parsipanny, into the shop again for another hour or so. he departed for meet point in Pennsylvania. Brakes started heating up again at the Delaware Water Gap Bridge. He went to a truckstop and called in. The UPS mechanic from the local center was dispatched to the truckstop to help assess the problem. Air lines froze up again. The truckstop shop said repairs couldn't be started for over 2 hours till other work in their shop was completed. The mechanic went back to the package center, got an empty trailer and some help. The trailer with the bad brakes was off loaded in 45 minutes in a parking lot. Why wasn't this done at either of the 2 Hubs were more resources were available? The driver lost over 3 hours, shop time was over 2 hours & the problem never was fixed. Like Pogo in the comic strip was fond of saying" We've met the enemy and it's us!" Almost every issue could be fixed with common sense.

local804

I got thinking about some of the fiasco's I have witnessed with trailers over the years. Most of the time automotive management wants to put a band aid on the problem instead of fixing it right. The last incident happened in Jersey in below zero weather when the brakes caught on fire because of frozen air lines. The driver got the Meadowlands shop to fix??, unthaw the air lines. He lost over an hour on the BOP. The brakes started smoking again by the time he reached Parsipanny, into the shop again for another hour or so. he departed for meet point in Pennsylvania. Brakes started heating up again at the Delaware Water Gap Bridge. He went to a truckstop and called in. The UPS mechanic from the local center was dispatched to the truckstop to help assess the problem. Air lines froze up again. The truckstop shop said repairs couldn't be started for over 2 hours till other work in their shop was completed. The mechanic went back to the package center, got an empty trailer and some help. The trailer with the bad brakes was off loaded in 45 minutes in a parking lot. Why wasn't this done at either of the 2 Hubs were more resources were available? The driver lost over 3 hours, shop time was over 2 hours & the problem never was fixed. Like Pogo in the comic strip was fond of saying" We've met the enemy and it's us!" Almost every issue could be fixed with common sense.

I agree totally with the band aid of the problems which goes back many years when my truck was dead at a stop. While on the phone w/a mechanic suit, I was told to hit the starter with a fire extinguisher and to be careful not to hit the threaded bolts. (positive lead) When I did that and the truck started I was told just let the truck run and to tape the key in the on position so I wouldnt shut it off as a force of habit. What a joke when we look back at situations that happen in the past. Today they would fire me for leaving the bulk head door open but 10-15 years ago I can leave the truck running while I am inside a business.

On a different note, how does the driver see that he has cracked brakes without taking off the wheel? I dont even think I ever checked the brakes once on my pretrip on the package car.

How on earth would the driver know there were cracks in the break pads? Wouldn't you have to take the tire off to be able to see that? Just seems kinda odd to me.

While working as a shifter, there were a couple feeder drivers who were notorious for finding things wrong with their trailer at the last possible second (causing a yard delay AKA more OT). They would get there at start time, do their pre-trip, go socialize, then wait until pull-time to casually find a mechanic to fix that broken marker light and leave 30 minutes late.

Not saying that's what happened with this guy, but it's within the realm of possibility.

sx2700

Banned
How on earth would the driver know there were cracks in the break pads? Wouldn't you have to take the tire off to be able to see that? Just seems kinda odd to me.

While working as a shifter, there were a couple feeder drivers who were notorious for finding things wrong with their trailer at the last possible second (causing a yard delay AKA more OT). They would get there at start time, do their pre-trip, go socialize, then wait until pull-time to casually find a mechanic to fix that broken marker light and leave 30 minutes late.

Not saying that's what happened with this guy, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Yeah, the same thing happens at our place. The feeder driver won't take 5 minutes to put a trailer up for us (because it doesn't benefit him at all) but he'll stand around and BS for 45 minutes leave late and then we get chewed out the next day at PCM for not getting the load out on time.