Feeder Driver Opening Need Advice

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
They told me I won’t get a free CDL that I’ll have to get it and then they’d send me to feeder school. Does that sound normal?
Here in Wisconsin they will not train part time employees without a cdl. You can use earn and learn to get it at a technical college. Then apply for a transfer.

swing_drv

We have to pay for our cdl too. The first week of feeder school is also non paid. Only second week production week is paid.

jetcat

I was in package for 22 years .... then I went to Feeder. Feeder is like a different world ( as in, way the heck better ) . I should had done it much earlier. In my case, I was able to become a "Sleeper Team Driver" cuz I had the company seniority to do it .... Feeder is like a different life at UPS, especially after you are in Feeder for a while and gain some seniority in that department. If possible, you might try to talk with some of the guys who do the job in your area .... I can say for sure I never saw anyone from package ever go back to package again after doing feeder. I hope you check it out .. .. ..

CD0314

Well the package driver they had originally offered it to went ahead and took it so I got bumped. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe another opening will come up as many of them are close to retirement.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was in package for 22 years .... then I went to Feeder. Feeder is like a different world ( as in, way the heck better ) . I should had done it much earlier. In my case, I was able to become a "Sleeper Team Driver" cuz I had the company seniority to do it .... Feeder is like a different life at UPS, especially after you are in Feeder for a while and gain some seniority in that department. If possible, you might try to talk with some of the guys who do the job in your area .... I can say for sure I never saw anyone from package ever go back to package again after doing feeder. I hope you check it out .. .. ..

Dunkin or Krispy Kreme?

Box Ox

The #1 piece of advice I could give a BC lurker and/or somebody thinking about working for UPS is to make sure they’re applying to a location that puts up feeder bids. A lot of smaller locations don’t, and their FTers have no choice but to run package routes for life.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Well the package driver they had originally offered it to went ahead and took it so I got bumped. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe another opening will come up as many of them are close to retirement.
Definitely do it. You won't have to listen to delivery guys whining. But you will have to listen to feeder guys whining. Lol.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Be prepared if you are low on seniority , especially if your just hired ,you’ll most likely be a cover driver , work all ends of the clock , no summer vacation, and when volume drops , or not enough men on vacation , you could be sent back occasionally to the preload/ Twi or pkg car for a while

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
During progression in ENE district, If they
Hire a temp during vaca or peak , you automatically get bumped up to temp pay till they are let go ,

purehavanne

Be prepared if you are low on seniority , especially if your just hired ,you’ll most likely be a cover driver , work all ends of the clock , no summer vacation, and when volume drops , or not enough men on vacation , you could be sent back occasionally to the preload/ Twi or pkg car for a while
Around here you can take a voluntary lay off if volume drops instead of coming back to package. So far no one has ever come back to deliver. Is that how it is everywhere?

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
Around here you can take a voluntary lay off if volume drops instead of coming back to package. So far no one has ever come back to deliver. Is that how it is everywhere?

Each supplement is different. Some buildings even do things slightly different.

That said, where I’m at, I am the absolute bottom feeder relief in my building. However, of my two years in feeder, I think I’ve worked a combined 15 total days back in package. That’s not bad in two years.