Feeder question 2.0 newbies

Sparkey86

Got some new meat coming into feeders fresh from feeder school. Need ideas about hazing, initiation rituals you all have done. We are quite the pranksters as it is (gloves with grease inside) one of my favorites. But would like to hear from the feeder brotherhood.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Eh, I'm not too big on that kind of stuff. New guys in feeders have enough to worry about without someone putting grease in their gloves, not everyone sees the humor in that.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Eh, I'm not too big on that kind of stuff. New guys in feeders have enough to worry about without someone putting grease in their gloves, not everyone sees the humor in that.

I was gonna say that, but didn't want to seem like a weenie. lol

There's enough stress when you're new in feeders trying to figure out where you're going, the Ivis, making sure you're hooked up properly and that you aren't going to leave a trailer in the middle of the highway.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have NEVER seen any hazing in 25 years as a feeder driver.

the first thing I do with a new feeder driver is introduce myself and let them know if they have any questions or need help, to let me or any other feeder driver know. that is true brotherhood.

glad im not at your hub.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Yeah, not much kidding going on in feeders as far as hazing. My first week by myself I drove from Houston to Mesquite. I convoyed with a couple of real jokers. They asked me if I had ever been to Mesquite. I said no.That's all it took. We ran CB's exclusively back then (no cells) and they had about 5 hours northbound to mess with me. They told me when we got to Mesquite, I had to drive my set into a multi-level parking garage with yellow poles about every 10 feet inside and of course, it wasn't lit very well. They told me I had to break my set inside and had to back my trailers up a ramp. They said sometimes a newbie gets in there and gets in a bind. Every body else backs up on the ramp outside because you're blocking it off. Somebody will come on a loudspeaker asking what the hold up is? By now, I'm squirming...They said sometimes a driver who works up there hangs around after he punches out and for $20.00, he'll spot your trailers for you in the parking garage. Mentally, I'm trying to remember if I have 20 bucks in my wallet or not. By the time we got to the hub up there, I was sweating bullets. By now, they were all laughing at me over the radios, but we were great friends for 35 years after that.

OPTION3

I have NEVER seen any hazing in 25 years as a feeder driver.

the first thing I do with a new feeder driver is introduce myself and let them know if they have any questions or need help, to let me or any other feeder driver know. that is true brotherhood.

glad im not at your hub.
I have never seen hazing......I HAVE seen new feeder drivers come in with an air of entitlement......even after its explained to them (usually by management) how seniority works, they sometimes continue this attitude.....a few days of the worst jobs, hardest backs, nastiest tractors...etc....etc....etc usually humbled the MOST arrogant.

OPTION3

Got some new meat coming into feeders fresh from feeder school. Need ideas about hazing, initiation rituals you all have done. We are quite the pranksters as it is (gloves with grease inside) one of my favorites. But would like to hear from the feeder brotherhood.
The best advice given to me by a 40 year safe driver was.......keep your mouth shut.....and LISTEN......and don't cut corners

Johney

We are quite the pranksters as it is (gloves with grease inside) one of my favorites. But would like to hear from the feeder brotherhood.
Go right ahead, revenge would be sweet my friend. I'd bury a bag of shrimp so deep in your tractor you wouldn't find it for a week. Bet that would be the last time you and your cronies would put grease in someone's glove's huh?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
That kind of stuff can get somebody fired these days.

I can see the company pulling video or testimony... "You knowingly exposed a coworker to harmful lubricants with sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity in humans"?...

UPS4Life

From the driver rumor mill an allentown driver put a quarter behind the grommet of the emergency line as a joke with someone and he drove off which he wasn't suppose to and he had to catch him before he got to the road. Pretty sure he got fired. If you're dumb enough to throw a career away over a prank more power to ya.

If you want my advice help the new guys out. If they don't know where they're going read over their directions make sure they're right. Give them tips on what to look for. If it's that bad give them your number if you have any questions or get lost stop and call me.

I've only been in feeders 3 years but I'm not afraid to ask for help because I'll never know it all and if I see someone struggling or look lost I don't mind helping out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My first week in feeders out of school, I had a rider with me. We got back to the yard, and he told me to break my set down, he was going to go get some coffee and would be back. Dispatch is on the same corner of the building as the BD, and it is on the second floor with windows all around for all to see. Well, I dropped my trailer due to not coupling properly. Luckily it was empty. Immediately, 3 or 4 feeder drivers that I didn't know or even met yet swarmed all around me with their trailers, trying to block dispatch from seeing what I had done. They helped me crank it up and get it on the pad. They could have just drove by and said, dang rookie. I never forgot that, and I tried to help newbies every chance I got, and I saw a lot of them in the 29 years I was in feeders. Always pay it forward.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The older feeder guys can be INVALUABLE to a newbie like myself. There are several who I can go to with any questions and they'll help out. On the flip side we have a couple guys with HUGE chips on their shoulders who are too good for anybody else and won't even say hi to you.

raceanoncr

I, ABSOLUTELY, HATE pranks, practical jokes. Especially at the work place. Do that stuff to your drinkin buddies.

Won't even watch TV shows that depict that stuff.

Excuse me, but GREASE in the gloves or on the steering wheel? How old are we?

Flame me if you want but I think it's TOTALLY childish. Just do YOUR job and let them learn THEIR job. Obviously, in your case, helping them is out of the question.

UPS4Life

The older feeder guys can be INVALUABLE to a newbie like myself. There are several who I can go to with any questions and they'll help out. On the flip side we have a couple guys with HUGE chips on their shoulders who are too good for anybody else and won't even say hi to you.
Agreed! But to add to your statement there are always a few new guys who know it all and don't want ANY help. There was a new guy once building a set on the door and once he hit the brakes a senior driver got his dolly for him..... He wasn't to thrilled. It didn't take long for people to see how much of an ase he is.

Sent using BrownCafe App

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Agreed! But to add to your statement there are always a few new guys who know it all and don't want ANY help. There was a new guy once building a set on the door and once he hit the brakes a senior driver got his dolly for him..... He wasn't to thrilled. It didn't take long for people to see how much of an ase he is.

Sent using BrownCafe App
that's true here too but few and far between. they come in with a chip on their shoulder. you just know they are going to get in an accident. I tried to help a new guy out about 10 years ago because he had been in a couple minor yard accidents and had like 3 tickets. he told me to go take a flying leap.

I said ok to myself and left him alone . sure enough his license was suspended and he almost got fired about 3 times. union saved his job of course.

well , when he came back his attitude changed for the better. he's a better driver now and he and I have been friends for about the last 5 years. he approached me about being friends. I think he appreciated what I tried to do all those years ago but he never mentioned it.

EasyTrucker

I'm asked to give newbies directions many times since dispatch maps are practically useless. While speaking with them, I tell them if not sure of anything, stop and call somebody. Call me, call another driver, call dispatch, but don't get in over your head by compounding mistakes. After giving them my number and telling them to call me anytime day or night, I add that in feeders there are no stupid questions, you're always learning!