Feeder routine

Sparkey86

I'm new to feeders. Actually still in package but feeder qualified. I don't see a lot of feeder time so my breakdown and set building routine is a bit different each time. I would like to hear your routine for building a set.

barnyard

KTM rider
Read the thread feeder tips and feeder questions threads. If they are not on this page, they are on page 2. Yes there are a lot of posts. There is also a ton of very, very good info.

Covered very thoroughly by people in your shoes (like me.)

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm new to feeders. Actually still in package but feeder qualified. I don't see a lot of feeder time so my breakdown and set building routine is a bit different each time. I would like to hear your routine for building a set.
A set is a set, it's pretty much built the same way every time. Unless you can cowboy it in, which I can't. Just get a routine and stick with it every time.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Dispatch should be able to print you out a copy of the proper UPS methods for putting a set together, that's a good place to start.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A set is a set, it's pretty much built the same way every time. Unless you can cowboy it in, which I can't. Just get a routine and stick with it every time.

......I'm still trying to get the hang of a hero hookup down also. Ive done it 2 or 3 times. Once by accident and once by luck. It's so much easier

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I wouldn't let my dispatch give me directions on making ice water.

Find a driver you trust, buy him a coffee, and have him walk you through it. Lots of times if you actually see it done it will register and sink in.
I'll always show rookies my way of doing a set and explain why my routine may differ slightly from UPS' and why. But one thing I'll tell them is YOU develop your routine and stick to it regardless.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you can always ask one of the good on road managers that you need to brush up on a proper set build. a long time feeder driver would also love to help if he is worth his salt.

just like most of the previous posts, a routine of good work methods will do you good in the long run. double check that the dolly is locked.

we are not to cowboy it together ( backing trailer and dolly together to rear trailer) but a lot of our drivers too. cowboying causes a lot of forked trailers.

we also have a video on building a set. You-Tube may have videos on it.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
It would be better for you if you just used the methods you were originally trained in. I still do. Following the same routine every time makes anything that is wrong or missing stand out. Only thing you typically drop is pacing off the mark for backing to your dolly as you start to know what it looks like when you are close enough. There are times you will need to know how to do a dolly back (or 'hero hook' I like that one) but they are relatively rare & yes you need to be able to judge trailer height & not spear it with the 5th wheel plate. Get the methods down pat first so you can reproduce them at anytime with a supervisor on board. Use variations only when necessary. Typically I will dolly back on uneven ground as I've been decked by the dolly when a depression caused it to swing into me while trying to hook it up.

Move rear box to pad if necessary, spot your dolly properly, check trailer height, do a sight side back to the dolly, keep the hand brake set as you supply air to the rear box, check all couplings & don't roll up the rear box gear until you are walking around to do your pretrip and you will avoid 99% of all issues that lead to on property accidents and injuries.

Stubnose Killa

Just get a pre-trip routine down and do it EXACTLY the same way every time so you don't miss anything. If someone comes and talks to you half way through your pre-trip, start over.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I went through feeder school, we got a printout of a "proper" pretrip the UPS way. It was 2 full pages, single spaced. I was never perfect, exactly in order, but I was told when an on car rode with me that I did one of the best pretrips he'd ever seen. I'm sure I got some things out of order, but as long as you hit everything and call them out when they are OJS'ing you, you should be ok. After you've been there a couple of years, you can do the "streamlined" pretrip when they're not riding with you. lol

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was at the dispatch window once waiting for a load. There was a new guy standing there, probably in his first week. He was covered in grease. Arms, back, face, pants you name it. I told him I had just come from the shop, and they asked if you'd come by there when you left dispatch. He bit. "what for?" he asked. I told him they just got a shipment of new dollies in, and they needed somebody to rub on the 5th wheel to grease 'em up. Everyone up there cracked up, even the newbie. Sometimes a little comic relief can ease the pressure of having to learn a new job and procedures.

barnyard

KTM rider
The supe that did my productive week gave me the 'official' UPS pretrip that he has to do to maintain being a supe. I read it over on Mondays before I am covering (I only work 5-6 weeks a year in feeders.)

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Well.for a while when some of the senior guys saw me with a dolly or in the dolly patch they would stop and throw me a towel or some napkins and say, "Here. You like using these!"

It was funny .......at first.

I tell the noobs that it's like a club. People will bust their chops but to a man everyone of them did the same thing.