Feeder School-Lack of Training (Keep on Topic)

Johney

Nobody would pass.

I've only heard one story of a yellow freight driver that could back a set....

:biggrin:
Yea true, I can cowboy a dolly pretty good, but have never backed a set more than ten feet(and that was to get out of a jam). I've heard stories of guys putting their rear on a door while the set was built but I pretty much Equated that to Bigfoot and the Lochness Monster.

quad decade guy

Hey Everyone,
Just wondering if someone can answer this for me. I went through feeder school and did not take the state test, because I felt I was not ready. Here is the problem. In the week I was training, I had a total of about 9 hours behind the wheel, about 4hours with pre-trip and about 2 hours in backing. The rest of the time my trainer felt that there were more important things to do, like his own tasks, paperwork I HAD to fill out. Am I wrong to think that I did not get adequately trained in feeders? I get it, there is a lot of information to process, but feeder drivers I spoke to said most of them had 45-50 hours training and I had about 30.
Just looking for thoughts on this.
Thanks
I had 16hrs(2 days) and took and passed the state test.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Yea true, I can cowboy a dolly pretty good, but have never backed a set more than ten feet(and that was to get out of a jam). I've heard stories of guys putting their rear on a door while the set was built but I pretty much Equated that to Bigfoot and the Lochness Monster.

We had a sleeper team do it with about 20 witnesses. Not sure why they felt compelled to do it but I heard it was impressive.

His training sounds similar to what I received. I spent hours at home working on the pre-trip and we were allowed to practice backing if we had a classmate with us and the yard wasn't too busy. Backing is all setup, once you figure that out it's simple.

robot

Has A Large Member
Dude. You should’ve at least taken the test. You see the truckers on the road nowadays? Lots of them look like rejects from Hills Have Eyes.
Hell, half the contractors that show up on our yard can’t even speak English half the time!
If they can do it, you can do it!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe they give you 45 minutes when testing it doesn't take that long.

In Ohio, we get 30 minutes to complete the pre-trip for the CDL test.

CDL.com says it should take 30-50 minutes for a thorough pre-trip.