Filing a petition to have shop steward removed

ski or die

Ski or Die
Sometimes contacting the BA will not be successful. Our BA would always lean towards the company. When he was a steward, he was appointed by the Union and Company. After he appointed his replacement who also was a company puppet, then finally retired, we immediately requested an election. I was lucky enough to win. But --- trying to deal with the BA was a brick wall. At one point on a seniority grievance which we lost, it was so obvious the BA also was working with the grievance panel, I finally requested a meeting with the Local President. Our President was willing to help me file charges, but I do not like to see anyone lose their jobs. He brought the BA into the meeting and he agreed to revisit the grievance with the company. The company agreed the grievance was correct and would follow seniority rights without me even having to go to a hearing. So sometimes, the BA could be in the company pocket. Good Luck.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-7.jpeg
Or you could spring for the Feeder Muumuu with optional cape.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
why do you have to have a steward removed? when we have a steward no one likes, we just ignore him. we don't ask them for help nor do we let him sit in on any meeting with stupidvisors. ( at least I don't)

I just wont answer any questions and say I don't feel like I am being represented properly by this particular person.

we have a couple stewards that are still stewards in name only but don't have any power anymore. they just fade off into the sunset.

639OldTimer

I would suggest you start with your Local Union By-Laws first. There is usually very specific language as it relates to shop stewards. In our Local, the practice/procedure is to draw up a petition to hold an election and have 50% plus 1 of the workgroup employees sign it. Also make sure that those who sign it are "members in good standing". Then have the petition presented at the next Local Union meeting at the "New Business" portion of the meeting and ask the Recording Secretary to accept the petition. Your Business Agent will then handle it and follow the election protocol as required by the Local Union By-Laws.

broncofand

I work the pm/night shift package handler and the shop steward we have on duty is not protecting the members, this steward acts like he's all 'buddy buddy' with the night manager and there's members that have filed greivance's and the steward and manager will take them upstairs and talk them out of filing and not involving the suits (District Manager) and so most of the members will go to the driver shop stewart to file. This stewart ignores contract violations that happens right in front him and acts like he's out for himself and a large percentage of night employee want to sign a petition to have him removed from his duties because there is no trust and everyone that gets hired starts off in back on the belts but his son was hired 2 months ago and is already in metro and yard certified. If anyone can help please do so

broncofand

I went ahead and emailed my business agent and requested an Election for a new shop steward and his response was that all members should get along with each other and work things out and I've been with the company for 15 months and I need more time under my belt. (I've been a union member for more then 20 years and a shop steward for 10 of that) in a strong union state unlike Florida and speaking with other members they feel the same way as I do and we want an election and used a mock petition and ended up with 43 members that signed it for an election and to have him removed. This shop steward does not do his duties to protect the members and I've personally watched him and the night manager talk members out of filing grievance's (Strong Grievances) telling them not to involve the suits upstairs and the company will look down on them and they will be moved to the back of the building, this shop steward only looks out for himself and what he can benefit and is in cahoots with the night manger just to get what he wants for himself........ Anyone else have any advice

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your BA does make a good point----we all should all try to get along----but your time with the company is irrelevant. Prepare a letter to your BA, including the petition, formally requesting an election be held.

Inthegame

If the BA is not the PO, would you still send him a copy of the letter and petition just to keep him in the loop?
That would be proper protocol. My point was the E-Board is the governing body of the affairs of the local. Occasionally, BA's get close to some stewards and might just ignore the request. The E-Board will be more apt to act.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That would be proper protocol. My point was the E-Board is the governing body of the affairs of the local. Occasionally, BA's get close to some stewards and might just ignore the request. The E-Board will be more apt to act.

And, just to add to your post;

Just because (even a majority) don't "like" their steward....

That's not grounds for removal. Especially, if they are elected.

Unless....

You can prove the steward has violated the Local Union Bylaws or the IBT Constitution.

Don't like your steward ?

There is always the ballot box.

-Bug-

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Does the steward know that the majority of workers want him out?if not you should have a meeting with everyone and tell him.......he will probably step down.........is there someone that wants the job?

IzzyTheNose

If your BA isn't helping you, go over his head. Pretty simple. If you make enough noise, someone will listen to you. In the mean time, isn't there another steward who can represent you? How is it that there's one shop steward for the entire sort?

If push comes to shove, and they don't want to remove this person as a steward (which is most likely the case), would you or someone else be willing to take the steps to become a steward? Your background certainly makes you a good candidate.