Filing grievance over working 9 1/2 hours day

izr

I am not a 9.5 driver. Been driver for 2 years now. These past two years have been non stop work from 9 am- 1030 pm. I love over time and love my job. But I'd like to get a break once or twice a week. Does anyone have any templates that i can send my union rep?

Inthegame

I am not a 9.5 driver. Been driver for 2 years now. These past two years have been non stop work from 9 am- 1030 pm. I love over time and love my job. But I'd like to get a break once or twice a week. Does anyone have any templates that i can send my union rep?
Your union rep has the template, it is called a contract. NM Art 37 provides protection for under 4 yr employees in certain circumstances. You should read it carefully.

LeadBelly

Banned
Your union rep has the template, it is called a contract. NM Art 37 provides protection for under 4 yr employees in certain circumstances. You should read it carefully.
What he said, plus don't forget about the art of using the 8 hour requests. Strategically used these can be the m :censored2: equalizer you need!!

PT Car Washer

In my building only drivers that have completed progression are eligible for 9.5 protection.

izr

This is what I read..

Attachments

• IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 251

reginald95

U can get on the 9.5 list if you work over 9.5 more than twice in one week on the same route. If you are a driver who has been full time for less than 4 years you can only be 9.5 on weeks where you stay on the same route. If over 4 years you are protected on any route even if u change routes mid week.

oldupsman

Article 37 Master
That's what I used one time when they decided to cut a trip one summer. Caused quite a bruhaha
which ended up getting my steward, BA and the local president involved along with my center manager and
the division manager who was trying to make a name for herself. Sadly for her the district manager, who I
drove with early in our careers, got involved and put an end to the whole thing.
Trip was reinstated and she was shipped out.

izr

I read art 37. My question is does this apply to all driver who have made seniority or only drivers who have made top rate?

Inthegame

I read art 37. My question is does this apply to all driver who have made seniority or only drivers who have made top rate?
It depends.
I've been on the same route for over 6 months. Nothing has changed
Wide beat me but here it is again...
If you've been on the same route for the last six months, I'll presume you've made seniority. Here is the guiding language with bolded sections pertinent to your issue;
Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.
If you're on the same route for the week, you're covered. Some creative management misinterpret or for and suggesting under 4 year employees are ineligible for protection. Your local BA should know better. Talk first with your steward, then contact your BA if things aren't addressed.

izr

The route I've been on is considered a "split route" runs everyday and went up for bid last October but since then nothing has been said about it. With that being said I'm not sure if technically do anything about it. I really appreciate all the helpful information you have been providing me.

Faceplanted

The route I've been on is considered a "split route" runs everyday and went up for bid last October but since then nothing has been said about it. With that being said I'm not sure if technically do anything about it. I really appreciate all the helpful information you have been providing me.
Did you not read what everybody said?

If you don't want to buck Up and file, don't complain about the lack of any type of personal life.

izr

Yes I did. Just to clarify. ANY route that I do for a week straight. Go past 9.5 hours. I can file to be a 9.5 driver?

Faceplanted

Yes I did. Just to clarify. ANY route that I do for a week straight. Go past 9.5 hours. I can file to be a 9.5 driver?
Correct. I would also assume there is no vacation bid in your center. If they pull you off "your" route as retaliation, file that they don't have a vacation bid for you guys. A vacation bid allows you to select a route to do for a full week while that driver is on vacation.

Managment will lie to your face and tell you only 4 year full time drivers can file. It happened to me a few years ago, I read the part of the contract that said otherwise and asked if they had any questions about it. They got the point.

It sucks you gotta work so late, everybody needs time for them self and for their family. This 4 year part of the 9-5 language should be completely axed imho.

542thruNthru

You have to go over 3 times in 1 week. When you do grab a shop steward and file to be put on the 9.5 list. Since you want to be on 9.5 I recommend getting a contract book and study up. Know your rights!