Filing grievance over working 9 1/2 hours day

izr

How far back can I file to be a 9.5 driver. Last week I called in sick one day and this week I had 8 hour day so got put someone else. But besides that. Always on this route

542thruNthru

How far back can I file to be a 9.5 driver. Last week I called in sick one day and this week I had 8 hour day so got put someone else. But besides that. Always on this route

Here it's 10 days back. So if last week you went over 9.5 three times in a week then file and be put on it right away.

izr

Shop steward is telling me I'm supposed to let the manager know to lower my hours before I can file. Is this true or can I just file now

johnny_hotdog

Shop steward is telling me I'm supposed to let the manager know to lower my hours before I can file. Is this true or can I just file now
Yes, there is wording in the contract that says you should let them know that you do not want that much work. If then they still give you more than 9.5 3 days in the week, then opt into the 9.5 list. I can't remember where in the contract i read but it is in there. Technically you should let them know of your desire to not work that much.

35years

Gravy route
Tell them you want less hours, ask to be put on the 9.5 list with the Steward present. They should put you on (watch them do it, then check a week later to make sure you are on the computerized list). It should not take a grievance to be put on the list (only three 9.5 days and your request).

Once you are on the list you file the next time you have three 9.5s; ask for the penalty pay on the grievance.

So it takes one week with three 9.5s to get on the list, and a second week with three 9.5s to file and get paid.

35years

Gravy route
Yes, there is wording in the contract that says you should let them know that you do not want that much work. If then they still give you more than 9.5 3 days in the week, then opt into the 9.5 list. I can't remember where in the contract i read but it is in there. Technically you should let them know of your desire to not work that much.
Actually, by asking to be put on the list (after three 9.5s) you are expressing you don't want the overtime. You don't need 3 weeks of three 9.5s to file and be paid, only two.

izr

Contract says after notifying management of the issue and nothing gets resolved then I can file. I'm not worried. I have 45 days to file. Eventually I'll get it. Management only care about themselves. I'm low on the seniority list but at least I'll show them I'm not someone they can abuse everyday. You guys are the best with all this info. I was expecting the complete opposite haha

542thruNthru

Contract says after notifying management of the issue and nothing gets resolved then I can file. I'm not worried. I have 45 days to file. Eventually I'll get it. Management only care about themselves. I'm low on the seniority list but at least I'll show them I'm not someone they can abuse everyday. You guys are the best with all this info. I was expecting the complete opposite haha

Where are you? I have never heard of having 45 days to file.

izr

Norther California

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184

Brown Down

Things will go 1 of 2 ways when you file. Either they are gonna harass the hell out of you or won't even look at you. Right now our center manager hasn't said more than 3 words to me in over a month since I got on

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
To the OP, just a question and no offense intended here. Have you talked with your center manager about it yet? If not please start there. They are human (most of them, ok some of them.) They may not know you need some lighter days.

35years

Gravy route
Waiting is never a good idea. If you have multiple 9.5 weeks of 3 95s and you don't file immediately on each one they may contend you did not communicate your desire for less overtime. Filing multiple times and immediately leaves no doubt. Anyways, don't you want the protection asap?

barnyard

KTM rider
or you can tell you supe and or center manager that you want to go on the 9.5 list. I have done that and poof, most of my OT vanished. I am still forced to help others finish their day on occasion, but it is way more rare now. My checks rarely go above 46 hours (except when I am working feeders, not going to file on that.)

I said something last Spring and things were fine till peak. Now that peak is over, my hours are also back to normal. Some managers prefer not to have to be forced to work through grievances and with a heads up, will keep you from filing.