Fire at Riviera Beach building

robbdogg75

Stug, You know anything about this?:wink2:

I work preload there and know that the 300 main belt caught on fire destroying three package cars. No person nor packages were damaged! They held is in the parking lot for almost two hours and gave us lots of donuts till the fire chief cleared the building for us. They brought in all the drivers to help us loaders since we started two hours late. Damn building still stunk after they cleared us for entry.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
thats in my district-- a car caught on fire DUE TO A STEREO BEING HARDWIRED INTO THE BATTERY !!! we all know the deal,, you give the mechanics a case of beer and ask them to run a live wire off the battery to plug your stereo into,, or you do it yourself. Its very common,, but it seems the wires shorted and caused a fire,, the driver as of now,, has been terminated. This will have companywide implications,,expect to hear about it soon.....

over9five

Staff member
Hmmm, the same thing (allegedly) happened in CHEMA several years ago. Drivers radio started a fire(so they say...). Several PCs lost.

Anyone remember that mess? All 456000 packages in the building had soot on them. Stunk for weeks.

over9five

Staff member
thats in my district-- a car caught on fire DUE TO A STEREO BEING HARDWIRED INTO THE BATTERY !!! we all know the deal,, you give the mechanics a case of beer and ask them to run a live wire off the battery to plug your stereo into,, or you do it yourself. Its very common,, but it seems the wires shorted and caused a fire,, the driver as of now,, has been terminated. This will have companywide implications,,expect to hear about it soon.....

Why was the driver fired if a UPS mechanic installed the wiring?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Stug, You know anything about this?:wink2:
Just what I saw on the news and read below. I'm the next center North of there. About 40 miles north.

I bet cars are being inspected as we speak. What area are you in, hellfire? I'm in Stuart.

Why was the driver fired if a UPS mechanic installed the wiring?
Tampering with UPS property? Article 52, thou shalt not install radio's in thy employers equipment.:wink2:

Johney

Sorry but most of this post is wrong info. As far as I know the driver in question worked today.I find it hard to believe mechanic's in that bldg take a case of beer to do hokey/pokey wire jobs. From what I heard it appears a radio was installed in the truck,but as far as who is at fault I believe that has yet to be determined.

Last edited:

hellfire

Sorry but most of this post is wrong info. As far as I know the driver in question worked today. From what I heard it appears a radio was installed in the truck,but as far as who is at fault I believe that has yet to be determined.
"" I find it hard to believe mechanic's in that bldg take a case of beer to do hokey/pokey wire jobs.""" yup,,thing is i dont know FULL details,, i know the invest is over,, a short caused the fire on a ""illegal"" tamper, and the driver is gone,,,for now ( was the preloader messing with it?? did the mechs install it??) now it gets messy,,a shame really..one honest mistake like that can get you fired....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
im sorry,,not gonna give names,,as of about 5pm thats what i was told,, did you have a female center manager in Stuart recently?
No, but he acts that way sometimes, LOL. I know I'm gonna get in huge trouble for that comment. I was joking, c'mon now, it's the internet for goodness sakes.:happy2:

Are you in Riviera, hellfire?

hellfire

No, but he acts that way sometimes, LOL. I know I'm gonna get in huge trouble for that comment. I was joking, c'mon now, it's the internet for goodness sakes.:happy2:

Are you in Riviera, hellfire?
no,,stopped by there today tho,, alot of people were instructed to go there in the am

Johney

"" I find it hard to believe mechanic's in that bldg take a case of beer to do hokey/pokey wire jobs.""" yup,,thing is i dont know FULL details,, i know the invest is over,, a short caused the fire on a ""illegal"" tamper, and the driver is gone,,,for now ( was the preloader messing with it?? did the mechs install it??) now it gets messy,,a shame really..one honest mistake like that can get you fired....
I'm not going to comment on this anymore until I get the facts straight. All I heard today by word of mouth was the driver worked and the mechanics did not do the mod.