Fire at Riviera Beach building

diesel96

I work preload there and know that the 300 main belt caught on fire destroying three package cars. No person nor packages were damaged! They held is in the parking lot for almost two hours and gave us lots of donuts till the fire chief cleared the building for us. They brought in all the drivers to help us loaders since we started two hours late. Damn building still stunk after they cleared us for entry.

Stopped by WPBFL 3340 center (Riviera Bch) last night.....it still smells of charred pkg car.........:sick:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We finally got the word on this this morning in our PCM. Center Manager told us three Package Cars were destroyed along with heavy roof damage. We were told to have no unauthorized wiring in our package cars.

I have to wonder if an illegal radio was really the problem. It sound a little like a hand job to cover up the real thing. Did an investigation really prove it was a self wired radio that caused the fire?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have to wonder if an illegal radio was really the problem. It sound a little like a hand job to cover up the real thing. Did an investigation really prove it was a self wired radio that caused the fire?

I smell a rat.

I've heard of self-combustion in humans. I wonder if they looked into self-combustion in rats. I've noticed an increase in rats since we don't clean the PCs anymore.

I smell a rat.

I've heard of self-combustion in humans. I wonder if they looked into self-combustion in rats. I've noticed an increase in rats since we don't clean the PCs anymore.
I've seen rats around our center ever since I have been working there, but they are easy to spot they wear ties.

jk

Johney

How about alligator clips still hooked to the battery.

How about alligator clips still hooked to the battery.
What about it? was there evidence THAT started the fire? A fire regardless of the beginning source can burn the wires connected to a battery. Was proper polarity used?

What about the poster in post #5 that says he works there and that a belt motor was the cause of the fire?

It seems awfully convenient to me that every time something major goes wrong at a UPS facility that they always find an hourly employee to blame it on.
It seems to never fail, that when they get on one of their many safety flavors of the month that in a few days of the first announcement, someone in another center far far away has just suffered from the effects of not following said safety issue. If they are all legit, they need to stop bring this stuff up.

Johney

What about it? was there evidence THAT started the fire? A fire regardless of the beginning source can burn the wires connected to a battery. Was proper polarity used?I believe the fire dept said it started in the battery area of said vehicle.

What about the poster in post #5 that says he works there and that a belt motor was the cause of the fire? He said the belt caught fire not the motor.Which is untrue.

It seems awfully convenient to me that every time something major goes wrong at a UPS facility that they always find an hourly employee to blame it on.
It seems to never fail, that when they get on one of their many safety flavors of the month that in a few days of the first announcement, someone in another center far far away has just suffered from the effects of not following said safety issue. If they are all legit, they need to stop bring this stuff up.
I'm not sure what Robbdogg means.I know the trucks were on the 300 belt and that after they removed the burned vehicles they continued to use that belt. There was no damage to any parts to the bldg as far as I know and from who I've spoke with no one has said anything about the building being damaged. Soot on the roof was the most I saw.