Fired Because Supervisor was having a bad day

Mr.Golden

I've been on preload almost 9 years....never have I seen a loader written up for production. Misloads, yes...but not PPH.

Yes misloads of course but they based of production. Like we could've only get one misload per 2500 pkgs we scan. Instead just writing us up for just misloads.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You've stated multiple times that this is a union job and you should join the union if you plan on taking it, PT or FT shouldn't matter if you're of that opinion.

The only exception would those PTers, such as college students, for whom this is a just a job to give them a few $$$ in their pocket while going to school.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The only exception would those PTers, such as college students, for whom this is a just a job to give them a few $$$ in their pocket while going to school.
Then perhaps they should take another non Union job that doesn't afford them the benifits and protections that a union job does. I have an Aldi on my route that starts guys off at 10.50 an hour with a huge sign out front stating that. I wouldn't go in there and apply for the job and not expect to purchase black shoes and khakis for my work, paying dues is the same thing, it's part of the job. If you don't like the conditions of employment, find another place to work for, there's plenty of places hiring.

We, the Union, voted long ago to require members to pay dues to help finance the future endeavors of our cause. I don't want guys leeching off OUR hard work and sweat. Don't wanna pay dues, I don't want you in my Union, simple.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
non union are like shoplifters. go in a store and take things without paying for them. then the honest consumer has to pay more for goods to make up the loss.

non union get all the same benefits without paying for them and I have to make up the difference. its a form of stealing.

that's why I don't like non union employees. wont even pretend to like them.

clean hairy

When I first started decades ago, I figured all the Union did was tae your $.
I sat down with FIL, and asked why I should join, and he explained about Unions.
He asked me, "if they were not Union, do you think out of the goodness of their hearts they would give you paid Holidays, the raises you will get each year, the Pension, and, how many weeks of vacation do you think you would get each year? "
We talked awhile longer, and when i was eligible to join, I did and have been in since.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I did not apply at UPS to fulfill a life-long dream of becoming a Teamster.
No, you saw the pay, benifits, and stability of the company thanks to the quality employees it attracts from management down to the hourlies. The Union and the Company are what make his place great, without either we wouldn't be the industry leader.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, you saw the pay, benifits, and stability of the company thanks to the quality employees it attracts from management down to the hourlies. The Union and the Company are what make his place great, without either we wouldn't be the industry leader.

I agree. All I am saying is that the Union was the furthest thing from my mind when I submitted my application.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In the Right to Work states, including my own state, if this employee had decided not to be in the Union, he would have been up the creek. The company could have let him go for any unjust reason. This is a good example of why a Union is a good thing.
My experience is the opposite.
Non-Union joiners would get the same discipline but be told to come in to work the next day.
Once you punch the clock again, nothing of significance sticks.
Union people are just disciplined and you let the process take it's course.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
When I first started decades ago, I figured all the Union did was tae your $.
I sat down with FIL, and asked why I should join, and he explained about Unions.
He asked me, "if they were not Union, do you think out of the goodness of their hearts they would give you paid Holidays, the raises you will get each year, the Pension, and, how many weeks of vacation do you think you would get each year? "
We talked awhile longer, and when i was eligible to join, I did and have been in since.
its really a no brainer. the prevailing wage for truck drivers around here is about 12-15 bucks and hour with maybe 5 bucks an hour in bennies.

we get about 48 buck an hour total.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I see your point. I heard some stories of some union stewards making deals in a bad way. Why is that?
When I was elected as a Union Steward, about 2 weeks after the election, my manager approached me and said if I would work with Management they would make things easy for me, if not, it was not going to be fun. It was the very first election that we had for being a Steward. My coworkers elected me because they knew I was honest and I would fight for them. Things did become tough. Some Stewards sell out, I refused to.

OPTION3

When I was elected as a Union Steward, about 2 weeks after the election, my manager approached me and said if I would work with Management they would make things easy for me, if not, it was not going to be fun. It was the very first election that we had for being a Steward. My coworkers elected me because they knew I was honest and I would fight for them. Things did become tough. Some Stewards sell out, I refused to.
Should have filed several grievances right off the bat. Threatening a steward to begin with. Harassment, singling you out....should have busted his/her chops from the go.