Fired Because Supervisor was having a bad day

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
While it was nice to have them there you did not need the Union for this one, which was clearly an unjust termination.
While you say he did not need the union there, what may I ask would have been his options without the union?

He may be able to file with the NLRB, but will most likely need an attorney.

Some attorneys take cases like this on a contingency basis, but this guy probably makes $250 per week. Good luck finding an attorney whose take would be around $80 for each week he was off.

And then the OP would lose that $80 per week to the attorney.

And how long would he be off for during this legal process? And if he counts on UPS for his medical, guess what? No medical while he is suing UPS.

UPS would starve him out until he took a deal to get his job back with no backpay. It could cost him many thousands of dollars.

People don't realize that union dues are a whole lot cheaper than having to sue UPS just 1 time over a wrongful termination.

UPS is known to lie and produce a bunch of notorized statements "debunking" the suers facts about the case.

In this case, the union saved this guy's job without having to hire an attorney. I'll take this option any day.

You're welcome to go hire an attorney and sue them. Remember, UPS has a whole lot more money than you do and UPS does not have a problem spending millions of dollars to deny somebody a dollar.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Cosmo, please tell us how it would make sense for a kid who is working here while going to school to join the union.

I can wait.

You didn't have to wait long, Dave.

How about for the very reason the OP started this thread. Without representation, he may very well have been railroaded right out the door.

Breathlessly awaiting your reply.

PT Car Washer

Cosmo, please tell us how it would make sense for a kid who is working here while going to school to join the union.

I can wait.
I agree a lot of PT guys don't see the value of joining the Union for a PT minimum wage job with no benefits. Until the first time they have a pay issue or disciplinary action. Then it is "where do I sign up", usually in the first year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree a lot of PT guys don't see the value of joining the Union for a PT minimum wage job with no benefits. Until the first time they have a pay issue or disciplinary action. Then it is "where do I sign up", usually in the first year.

Pay or minor disciplinary issues (attendance?) can usually be resolved "in-house".

SquirrelBoggie

I joined the Union cause my dad was an union guy, but he had his fits about the union but was with them in the long run, he explained to me the history of the union, I know a lot has changed since those times but there are still some positives about the union

doodoobrwn

Supervisors have bad days because they can't be teamsters so they have to be on guard at all times or well I hope you know the rest

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I can wait.
You've stated multiple times that this is a union job and you should join the union if you plan on taking it, PT or FT shouldn't matter if you're of that opinion.

Mr.Golden

Well I guess I'll tell y'all a little bit about me...started off doing reload peak season and was hired on right after it was over. The job was easy for me because I'm athletic type of guy and the fact I used to play sports (football,basketball, and track mostly). During those 4 yrs working PT I've never joined the union...been wrote up so many times to the point of discharge. Yet still haven't been fired. I became eligible for driving school(suspended license) and took the opportunity a cover driver. During this time I've still been receiving write ups to the point of discharge. The union stewart(s) from both PT and FT offered me to join the union a couple of times but I declined. The reason? Well I was looking at the union the wrong way. At the time they seem to be like a modern day mob(which I was gonna make a thread about) offering protection for your money. Many of my co workers wanted me join simply because of the representation . If I go to the panel(which I've yet been to) a public defender type of stewart will defend me instead a lawyer type. I thought about it...dwelled on it and decided to join when I go FT. After going FT I still get write ups to the point of discharge. Still haven't been fired yet. I've know my work ethic got me where I'm at today and notice a "give n take" relationship at the work place also which I take advantage of.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well I guess I'll tell y'all a little bit about me...started off doing reload peak season and was hired on right after it was over. The job was easy for me because I'm athletic type of guy and the fact I used to play sports (football,basketball, and track mostly). During those 4 yrs working PT I've never joined the union...been wrote up so many times to the point of discharge. Yet still haven't been fired. I became eligible for driving school(suspended license) and took the opportunity a cover driver. During this time I've still been receiving write ups to the point of discharge. The union stewart(s) from both PT and FT offered me to join the union a couple of times but I declined. The reason? Well I was looking at the union the wrong way. At the time they seem to be like a modern day mob(which I was gonna make a thread about) offering protection for your money. Many of my co workers wanted me join simply because of the representation . If I go to the panel(which I've yet been to) a public defender type of stewart will defend me instead a lawyer type. I thought about it...dwelled on it and decided to join when I go FT. After going FT I still get write ups to the point of discharge. Still haven't been fired yet. I've know my work ethic got me where I'm at today and notice a "give n take" relationship at the work place also which I take advantage of.
Who gets that many writeups....especially as a PTer? Do your damn job correctly.