Fired but will be back.

It was def my fault and very sloppy. I should know better being here this long. However, I got the call today. My buisness agent and myself have a meeting next tuesday with them. So hopefully we can move on and they don't take me to the panel. Thanks for all your responses.

I was recently in your shoes and what The Other Side said is the most intelligent answer you could get. When you get back to work, if any questions arise about a delivery, call the office;put the ball in their court. You get paid by the hour and if they complain about lowered stops per hour remind them how many times you called in. And don't do anything to retaliate; they are expecting it and will give them a reason to terminate you for good.

Good luck.

804brown

What the National Master agreement states is this. " No employee shall be discharged on a first offense if such discharge is based solely upon information recieved from GPS or any successor system UNLESS (caveat) he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as ANY ACT or OMISSION by an employee where he/she intends to DEFRAUD the company)

Peace.
This whole thing bugs me. What he did was mis sheet some packages. He didnt follow procedure or the methods. True. But was he dishonest?? Who exactly if anyone was he trying to "defraud" here?? We already know that UPS has all this information from the DIAD. If anything, he is deceiving the customer and I dont think that is a cardinal sin. Was he trying to obtain money or goods belonging to someone else?? No,he sheeted 5 packages he deemed unsafe as NI!! I just think it is UNREASONABLE for this company to walk someone out for this especially if this is a first time!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This whole thing bugs me. What he did was mis sheet some packages. He didnt follow procedure or the methods. True. But was he dishonest?? Who exactly if anyone was he trying to "defraud" here?? We already know that UPS has all this information from the DIAD. If anything, he is deceiving the customer and I dont think that is a cardinal sin. Was he trying to obtain money or goods belonging to someone else?? No,he sheeted 5 packages he deemed unsafe as NI!! I just think it is UNREASONABLE for this company to walk someone out for this especially if this is a first time!!

Yes, I understand the mindset of a driver when something like a "hazardous" condition arises. Safety first? Right? I would like to know more details, but as long as the storyline is accurate as the poster tells, he should be ok, otherwise, it may be a bad case of smoking stops.

Its always the better plan to CALL the center and get instructions, rather than make decisions that come back to haunt you.

Peace.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I agree 804...everything is a dishonesty issue with UPS..and I wonder if that's because most people aren't getting into fisthights,or drinking on the job..they seem to be limited to what they can really fire someone over.they spend massive amounts of time and energy in doing this kind of thing .this is the most disturbing part....no wonder why the competition is making headway against us. It seems as if they really don't care if the ship is sinking as long as they can micromanage and harass people to the bitter end

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The competition is making headway against us because of the money they are saving on their labor costs.

Suppose you were one of the five consignees the OP blew off and that you were waiting on your medicine?

I wouldn't want to be delivering in the hood after dark either but wouldn't take it upon myself to make that decision.

That being said, I have had a chance to think about and now feel that the termination was excessive. I think an unpaid vacation (3 days?) would have been more appropriate. A warning letter would not have been appropriate in this situation.

talkwith

Hindsight is 20/20. You exercised driver discretion (wisely, I think, given the circumstances), however, one of our retirees always told me to call the center when in doubt and let them make the decision for you. Always cover your @$$ at UPS. You can probably get back pay but you will definitely get your job back. Good luck!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It just baffles me how management is looking at all of us as dishonest lairs. That's all we are? To them? If anything-they are the ones lying to us, customers and shippers. Makes you sick:angry:

It just baffles me how management is looking at all of us as dishonest lairs. That's all we are? To them? If anything-they are the ones lying to us, customers and shippers. Makes you sick:angry:

Just dirty little teamsters, right?

upserr1

It just amazes me that UPS preaches safety to the point of fatigue but when we practice it They try to fire us for it.That said you should have notified your center of your intentions or called them to advise you on how to sheet said pkgs always always put the decision on them.You felt that your safety was at jeopardy at that time of day and thats what you should have stated when you should have called in.
You will get your job back no doubt but before you go onto that meeting make sure you have your BA stress the SAFETY issue rub it in the face.And from then on scroll thru yours stops if that section is in there break off after your airs and do the in the daylight nobody will ever question why when you for your safety.

island1fox

Fired,
If your work record is basically clean and this is a first offense I believe you would get your job back the following way :
With the support of your union readily admit that you screwed up. There are all degrees of "dishonesty". From what I have heard you did not steal packages or money. Your error was your judgement particularly on how the packages were recorded.
Not all Manaagement is unresonable. If you openly admit the mistake, work on a solution to prevent any re-occurance-If it were my decision as management -you would have your job back with time served as a suspension.

Hope it works out for you.:peaceful:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It just amazes me that UPS preaches safety to the point of fatigue but when we practice it They try to fire us for it.That said you should have notified your center of your intentions or called them to advise you on how to sheet said pkgs always always put the decision on them.You felt that your safety was at jeopardy at that time of day and thats what you should have stated when you should have called in.
You will get your job back no doubt but before you go onto that meeting make sure you have your BA stress the SAFETY issue rub it in the face.And from then on scroll thru yours stops if that section is in there break off after your airs and do the in the daylight nobody will ever question why when you for your safety.

Well there are some key points to discover before we blame UPS for everything. While I agree, that UPS has stepped up discipline since the introduction of Telematics and GPS, we have to examime the facts of this particular case first.

For example, How far away from the intended addresses was the driver. If he was close, lets say within a mile and he could see the area and it didnt appear "safe", then I say he's ok, but if he was MILES away and not within eyesight of the area and he decided to sheet them improperly, then I say its a different scenario.

The addition of GPS adds an element of dishonesty to the equation. Lets say the driver told his center team that he drove up to the location and it appeared unsafe, then the company looks at telematics and it puts him 3 miles away, then, the driver would be guilty of dishonesty for lying about his location. If you apply article 6 properly (NMA) then that language benefits the company in that scenario and he could be discharged.

All drivers should take GPS and telematics seriously and change behaviors they may otherwise be used to performing. Things like DR'ing a NDA package two streets away at 10:29am in order to be ontime. This is the easiest thing UPS uses to fire drivers, but drivers still attempt to do it.

As far as rubbing safety in anyones face, I dont think thats in the cards. This driver made a serious judgement error and that is no fault of the company. It was a mistake to sheet them improperly without asking for instructions from the center team.

The company should return him to work without a long delay, but this driver should heed the warnings and do the job correctly to protect himself in the future.

Peace.

UPSGUY72

I got terminated 2 days ago for sheeting 5 stops NI1 not at the location. The reason for this is because those 5 stops are in a very dangerous housing project and it was late at night in Boston, Ma. I told my center manager that and he called me a "punk" and "you think you own the place". I have never been terminated in my 8 years working for UPS. My buisness agent says it might be 2 to 3 weeks before I am back. What kind of case do I have if any? The contract says that no employee will be fired for GPS offensives the first time and this info was clearly from telematics. I'm really annoyed and thinking about calling the attorney general and filing wrongful termination. Any help will be helpful.

Thank you

You should have sheeted them as missed. As for getting you job back you will. With that said you are now wearing a bulls eye on back for the foreseeable future.

browned out

Sheet em as missed. Only Management can be dishonest and get away with it. Go in grievance hearing and be extremely apologetic and take your beating. Management loves the power and will give you your job back if you grovel.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Well there are some key points to discover before we blame UPS for everything. While I agree, that UPS has stepped up discipline since the introduction of Telematics and GPS, we have to examime the facts of this particular case first.

For example, How far away from the intended addresses was the driver. If he was close, lets say within a mile and he could see the area and it didnt appear "safe", then I say he's ok, but if he was MILES away and not within eyesight of the area and he decided to sheet them improperly, then I say its a different scenario.

The addition of GPS adds an element of dishonesty to the equation. Lets say the driver told his center team that he drove up to the location and it appeared unsafe, then the company looks at telematics and it puts him 3 miles away, then, the driver would be guilty of dishonesty for lying about his location. If you apply article 6 properly (NMA) then that language benefits the company in that scenario and he could be discharged.

All drivers should take GPS and telematics seriously and change behaviors they may otherwise be used to performing. Things like DR'ing a NDA package two streets away at 10:29am in order to be ontime. This is the easiest thing UPS uses to fire drivers, but drivers still attempt to do it.

As far as rubbing safety in anyones face, I dont think thats in the cards. This driver made a serious judgement error and that is no fault of the company. It was a mistake to sheet them improperly without asking for instructions from the center team.

The company should return him to work without a long delay, but this driver should heed the warnings and do the job correctly to protect himself in the future.

Peace.

Just like he said.....

I thought that Mr. Casey, the founder of this once proud company...indicated that our #1 asset was our employees........I'm sure he would never approve of putting an employee in harms way....in the future just let Mgt. know of your intentions, if they have a problem invite the center manager to join you while delivering the "hood" after night fall
I think your confused. That was United Parcel Service when Mr. Casey was alive. Now it's just UPS they eat there young each other and as many Teamsters as they can.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"the driver made a serious judgement error"

"Well there are some key points to discover before we blame UPS for everything. While I agree, that UPS has stepped up discipline since the introduction of Telematics and GPS, we have to examime the facts of this particular case first."

Those two ideas are opposing each other. The driver feared for his safety, therefore without knowing the story, it is unknown whether the decision was an error of judgement or dishonesty - proven by telematics - or a decision that saved his/her life.

We are taught to work in the best interest of the employer and a fair days work, however that does not include jeopardizing one's safety.

the proper thing to do, which I'm sure has been stated, is MESSAGE the packages/stops into the center via diad (not call) and put the ball in their court as to the sheeting instructions.

paidover95

Take my lead!Get your job back through the union,and then the next day turn in your letter of resignation!!FIND A NORMAL COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!ENJOY YOUR LIFE!!!THEN LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!! :-)PS ITS BEEN 6 MOINTHS AND I COULD BE HAPPIER!!

Today was my first day back and I got followed around all day. lol....They will prob do the same thing tomorrow. I don't really care, I'm a good driver, I always do everything right anyways and this event only opened my eyes up even more to what is really going on here. I think the only reason why I got terminated was so they could squash some grievance money. My building has almost $10,000 in back grievance money coming to many drivers for over 9.5 3 days in a row. I was the lamb this month. I called the center 5 times today and will continue to that every day when I'm not sure about anything. I can't wait to bid out of here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Today was my first day back and I got followed around all day. lol....They will prob do the same thing tomorrow. I don't really care, I'm a good driver, I always do everything right anyways and this event only opened my eyes up even more to what is really going on here. I think the only reason why I got terminated was so they could squash some grievance money. My building has almost $10,000 in back grievance money coming to many drivers for over 9.5 3 days in a row. I was the lamb this month. I called the center 5 times today and will continue to that every day when I'm not sure about anything. I can't wait to bid out of here.

good to hear it blows!! try not to let the following around get to you...they are a fortune 100 company which doesnt act like it half the time. lets waste time and money following someone around who is trying THEIR best....when this happens dont come talk to me about how fedex is eating our lunch. good luck!