Fired for “dishonesty”

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
There are no holes in my story. I have no reason to lie. I wasn’t positive if I hit the driver or not. The driver did not pull over which they could have because we were on a residential street but to be sure if I did hit or didn’t I attempted to follow them, flag them down and get an actual answer. On the main road in the traffic at that time I had not been able to keep up and flag them down safely. I circled back around to the residential block to see if they had returned. They had returned and were outside of the vehicle, I pulled over to speak to them and see if the truck did catch them. After speaking with the driver I called it in and they called to get an incident report. Not a complicated situation. Looking back should I have called, yes. It was a mistake. My first incident on the road and I wanted to be sure of what happened before calling it.
please report back with an update.
your experience may help other drivers here someday.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Back end of the truck swiped another driver, I heard the noise wasn’t sure if I hit the driver or not as they pulled away like nothing happened. I tried to track them down to confirm. Went back to the block to see if they were back, called it in roughly an hour after it occurred. I was let go for not reporting it right away saying i was dishonest about what happened when I first called and said I wasn’t sure if I hit them to I must have hit them there is a scratch on there vehicle. What are the chances I will get my job back but can go inside? I don’t want to lose my job completely been with the company for 17 years but no longer want to drive. Union rep wasn’t much help so far. I don’t feel I did anything wrong. I wasn’t being dishonest, I wasn’t hiding the fact something happened I just wasn’t sure if something did and was trying to figure it out before calling.
If what you are saying is the whole truth, I would bet money you’ll come back after a local hearing. Worst case scenario it goes to panel but I don’t see you losing that either.

As far as being an inside worker again, that’s the tough part. The only way I’m aware of that happening is to win a 22.3 or 22.2. If you are trying to go back part time, ain’t happening unless you quit and rehire.

ManInBrown

What's immediately? Are we to call everytime we hear a noise? Within a hour seems reasonable to me especially if there is no other vehicle.
I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I called in the dumbest sheet when I was in package. You ain’t gonna hang me for something. I hit a squirrel once and called it in. Not even joking. Another time some kids threw some apples at the windshield from a moving car. What do you think I did? Called it in. Bury them in nonsense and call everything in. What’s the harm? OP should’ve called immediately.

clean hairy

Of course he calls it in immediatly, a Sup comes out and sees no damage.
Then the company is wondering why a story was made up about an accident with no damage.
OP would still be in trouble in that case.
Can't win for losing

Johney

We had a guy tail whip the truck next to him on his way out of the building a couple years ago and either didn't report it until the next week or didn't report it at all. Don't quite remember which. One way or another, they ended up finding out and he was gone for a couple weeks. His way back in was that there were 3-4 other drivers watching the whole thing who also saw the whole thing and none of them got fired.
That crap happened on a daily basis at my old building. No one said a thing. Even in front of supervisors all they did was yell get out of here and don't have late airs.

Big Babooba

So if a driver leaves after an accident and the UPS drivers calls to let the sups know, how is this not reporting? You are reporting something that may or may not of happened?

The OP didn't say if our truck was damaged?
Almost an hour later is probably their reasoning. That doesn't fit the definition of dishonesty.

Last edited:

abchel

If you are in your probation period/first 30 days and get in a accident they will wash you and send you back to part time and there is nothing that the Union can do for you, but after 6 months you can try to drive again. However if you are a seniority driver and reported it within a reasonable time and did not try to hide anything they could harass you and fire you, but you should get your job back. Make sure your shop steward talks to your business agent at your local, but I would call him personally if I was you!

Update: had my meeting today, and thankfully my job is saved. I am on suspension, not sure for how long yet. Which is fine I am just relieved that I am not fired. I was not able to go back inside part time like I wanted but that part is what it is. Thank you all for your responses !

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Update: had my meeting today, and thankfully my job is saved. I am on suspension, not sure for how long yet. Which is fine I am just relieved that I am not fired. I was not able to go back inside part time like I wanted but that part is what it is. Thank you all for your responses !

trickpony1

Congrats!
Let this be an expensive lesson.
Don't do these people any favors.

CYA and then;
CYA and then:
CYA some more.

john chesney

Back end of the truck swiped another driver, I heard the noise wasn’t sure if I hit the driver or not as they pulled away like nothing happened. I tried to track them down to confirm. Went back to the block to see if they were back, called it in roughly an hour after it occurred. I was let go for not reporting it right away saying i was dishonest about what happened when I first called and said I wasn’t sure if I hit them to I must have hit them there is a scratch on there vehicle. What are the chances I will get my job back but can go inside? I don’t want to lose my job completely been with the company for 17 years but no longer want to drive. Union rep wasn’t much help so far. I don’t feel I did anything wrong. I wasn’t being dishonest, I wasn’t hiding the fact something happened I just wasn’t sure if something did and was trying to figure it out before calling.
1) Hope you haven’t been in trouble before
2) look up the definition of immediately
3) You changed your story
4) If ups can’t trust you they don’t need you
You’re definitely looking at some time off. Could bring you back before next panel hearing. I’ve seen trips to the panel for less. If you never been in serious trouble and you go to panel I would say “ Return to work all time served as suspension “
I’m basing this on the central region that I worked with

Brownnote

So you weren't certain you did anything, mulled it over and said "I better do the right thing, just in case" And now your being disciplined? So what's the moral of the story? I guess it's better if we all lie? I guess your local is as useless as mine.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
So you weren't certain you did anything, mulled it over and said "I better do the right thing, just in case" And now your being disciplined? So what's the moral of the story? I guess it's better if we all lie? I guess your local is as useless as mine.
Deny everything

You really should get your job back.
Seems like you were telling the truth here.

But just like BB said you never move from a scene of an accident even if not sure.
But that is water under the bridge.

Just tell the truth. It's easier to remember.
You should say the same thing for you posted.

I've never seen so many lies in the entire lifetime

LetsGoBuffalo

That's great news. Hopefully you are back to work by now. Take this as a learning experience. Dishonesty is a harsh word, and one should be 110,000% sure of it before accusing someone of it. The fact is that you did report it, but didn't report it as quickly as they say you should have. I would suggest asking your union to have that word removed from your record. Just my opinion of course.