Fired for bringing back unscanned packages

BigBrownTruck420

To the OP,

Since you are new here, and that's fine, I'll repeat what I was told in Steward school:

There only two kinds of grievances.

1) Where you think there has been a contract violation by the company. You file,
the burden of proof is on YOU to prove there has been a violation.

2) Where there has been disciplinary action on the part of the company. NOW, the
burden of proof is on THE COMPANY to prove the discipline was warranted.

In other words, you were terminated by the company. THEY have to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that their case is warranted. THEY have to prove that they did not receive your calls or messages (you DO have a record of them, don't you?). THEY have to prove that THEY did not record them on a different board to make them disappear. THEY have to prove EVERYTHING they claim in order to terminate you.

BUT, YOU have to rely on your Stewards and BA (Business Agent). Good luck.

Yes I have the email of the messages sent through the DIAD that the union rep sent me. I also do not delete my phone records that can show I contacted my supervisor several times that day. The only thing I wont be able to prove is that I told my sup on road that I had them when he came to grab the packages for the school... What should I do or can be done about the acting manager having me scan them in another board in order to hide them from whoever he was trying to hide them from?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Missing my point. You might be able to use this to your advantage.

You are terminated for not following their rules. They arent following the rules either.

Can we say double standards?
either this new stupe is trying to make a name for himself ( likely ) or BigBrown may be leaving out some pertinent information. ( which happenes a lot here ). maybe the supe is trying to send a message to everybody. does this happen all too often with bringing boxes back?

another question for BB. are you a trouble maker? do you have a target on your back for some reason ?

from what BB told us it looks like a no brainer that he will get his job back. but we have to know the whole truth.

BigBrownTruck420

He just lost his job---do you really think he gives a :censored2: about who runs off misloads?

exactly. I do appreciate the info but my biggest concern is getting my job back. I don't think that would help even if they violated a rule. It would not be good for them you are right but I'm sure it will not help my situation at all.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Having you walked out of the building for this is a WAY BIT OVER THE TOP.
If your Business Agent does his job, he should get you back pay for any days missed.
You witnessed the packages scanned on the other diad, so these were not unscanned packages.

It sounds like you did not scan these packages as misloads through the Diad Communication screen.
Driving for a year and a half, you should have done that as soon as you saw the misload.
That's where they could push for a suspension - days unpaid.

BigBrownTruck420

either this new stupe is trying to make a name for himself ( likely ) or BigBrown may be leaving out some pertinent information. ( which happenes a lot here ). maybe the supe is trying to send a message to everybody. does this happen all too often with bringing boxes back?

another question for BB. are you a trouble maker? do you have a target on your back for some reason ?

from what BB told us it looks like a no brainer that he will get his job back. but we have to know the whole truth.

The only issue that I've had was attendance but that was awhile ago.. The only reason I would have a target on my back that I could think of is they just had to pay me out a 14,000.00 retro check for incorrect pay... I started as a reg-temp employee $24.22 and when I became FT they dropped me down to $18.75. I tried telling my management that it was incorrect but they kept saying to leave it alone, that It would make me look like a bad employee if I pressed the issue. Well I kept pressing the issue which resulted in a meeting between my union rep, A labor guy from UPS, and myself where it was decided that the money was owed to me. I normally do very well on routes. In the little time being a driver for UPS I can already cover 15 routes successfully, bonus and scratch on a regular basis.

A buddy of mine brought an unscanned package back a few months ago and only received a 3 day suspension...

I have never had a late air or missed pickup.

BigBrownTruck420

Having you walked out of the building for this is a WAY BIT OVER THE TOP.
If your Business Agent does his job, he should get you back pay for any days missed.
You witnessed the packages scanned on the other diad, so these were not unscanned packages.

It sounds like you did not scan these packages as misloads through the Diad Communication screen.
Driving for a year and a half, you should have done that as soon as you saw the misload.
That's where they could push for a suspension - days unpaid.

Yes I witnessed it because he handed me the board and had me do them myself. I sent the misload text message where it asks if you can deliver or not

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The only issue that I've had was attendance but that was awhile ago.. The only reason I would have a target on my back that I could think of is they just had to pay me out a 14,000.00 retro check for incorrect pay... I started as a reg-temp employee $24.22 and when I became FT they dropped me down to $18.75. I tried telling my management that it was incorrect but they kept saying to leave it alone, that It would make me look like a bad employee if I pressed the issue. Well I kept pressing the issue which resulted in a meeting between my union rep, A labor guy from UPS, and myself where it was decided that the money was owed to me. I normally do very well on routes. In the little time being a driver for UPS I can already cover 15 routes successfully, bonus and scratch on a regular basis.

A buddy of mine brought an unscanned package back a few months ago and only received a 3 day suspension...

I have never had a late air or missed pickup.
they want that 14k back. one way or another. maybe -maybe not.

Ms.PacMan

This is very confusing. Do you really know what you were fired for or are you just assuming it was the missed scans?

What verbal exchange did you have with the acting center manager when you returned to the building? Was he pissed, did he act as though this was the first he'd heard of the misloads?

kingOFchester

This is very confusing. Do you really know what you were fired for or are you just assuming it was the missed scans?

What verbal exchange did you have with the acting center manager when you returned to the building? Was he :censored2:, did he act as though this was the first he'd heard of the misloads?

Seems straight forward UPS crapola to me.

Driver was friend'd. Communicated it. Young 20 something (most 2X young adults today are dumbed down) is acting manager. Tried to fudge the system. Got caught. Blamed driver and is now trying to fix problem and show his boss that he is taking care of business by firing the driver who has already been called out on conference calls and meetings for costing the company 14k.

Sounds like typical UPS BS.