Fired for job abandonment

UpsAngel

Are you going to demand back pay?

only because my BA insisted. I asked if it would jeopardize my chances of coming back if i ask for back pay in my grievance he said no it just leaves more room for bargainng. Meaning they will agree to take me back only if i accept no back pay.

I was thinking it could affect me coming back but i trust my BA. After all he deals with these people all the time. He should know what hes talking about.

Gear

Parts on Order
The posts of your situation and avatar could make it possible for someone figure out who you are. Not that anyone would, but maybe. Sounds like you dont need trouble and need your benefits.

You'll get your job back

Dragon

Package Center Manager
4 years with ups definetly not a newcomer.

Anyway, today im working and i get called in to a discharge paper for job abandonment.

Story goes im utility right now, because of an injury i cant lift over 50lbs and cannot be in my usual sort aisle or preloading trucks i been labeled permant disabled. So i kind of just roam to where needed somedays they forget about me completely. Most days i break bags for belts into totes, as soon as im done with my job i leave in risk of getting called out for stealing time.

Back to today, he tells me i had abandoned my job and therefore it was grounds for dismissal i was in the biggest shock because i been back for 3 weeks since my injury and have left like this before. I really wish i would have looked for a super and just daud bye before i walked out.

Steward said not to worry that i will get my job back in no time. Gave me # to BA. BA happened to be meeting up with my management today and will mention my case. If notresolved today he said it would resolve itself within a week for wrongful termination because i wasnt even given a warning or even a he said she said.

I know i screwed up by not telling at lest a part timer that i was clocking out. What are my chances of getting my job back? At this point i can even use the negative comments. Im a mess right now just thinking about my 6 month old and his benefits.

You will be back, but why would you not simply just ask if there is anything else you can do before punching out?

It is to easy, I don't believe for one second that is what the old manager did. You just felt you could do it and did it, you were not thinking about your child right then where you?

Act like a grown up and let it be a lesson learned.

UpsAngel

Hard to believe anyone could get fired for this during Peak....

......unless.....

.......there's MORE....

....to the story.
Yea they had to accomodate my disability and got grief for it but they backed off. Guess they had a different plan in mind.

I got comfortable plain and simple. Should have asked if i was free to go since its peak they may have needed me. I know i screwed up, but im telling the honest truth. I work as directed show up on time and only give lip when my rights are being violated.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Does no one understand past practices? If you've punched out once your work is complete in the past with no issues, and others have done the same, it's not a terminable offense. If a new manager wants to run things differently, then they must start with a verbal warning, and progress through discipline. The company is not justified in depriving you of work and wages simply because a new manager wants to run things their way. Absolutely fight for back pay.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yea they had to accomodate my disability and got grief for it but they backed off. Guess they had a different plan in mind.

I got comfortable plain and simple. Should have asked if i was free to go since its peak they may have needed me. I know i screwed up, but im telling the honest truth. I work as directed show up on time and only give lip when my rights are being violated.
It sounds to me like they did not want to accomodate you anymore, and were looking for any excuse to get rid of you.

over9five

Staff member
It sounds to me like they did not want to accomodate you anymore, and were looking for any excuse to get rid of you.
Agreed. And you'd have to be a horrible pia to get fired during Peak. Sorry to be blunt, but if you weren't horrible, they'd use you thru Peak, THEN start this.

SoCalUPS

Does no one understand past practices? If you've punched out once your work is complete in the past with no issues, and others have done the same, it's not a terminable offense. If a new manager wants to run things differently, then they must start with a verbal warning, and progress through discipline. The company is not justified in depriving you of work and wages simply because a new manager wants to run things their way. Absolutely fight for back pay.
Wrong, a past practice is something that has been condoned but is not in the CBA. If a CBA has language stating that you must be relieved before going home or must notify a member of management before going you go home, it is a terminable offense. A past practice cannot supersede contract language.

browntroll

idk what ur hub is like but i always look for my pt sup before i can go on break or go home
during peak. some sups will let u slide specially if they know you have school or a second job but
the guys that do always get the ok before leaving just in case upper management comes looking for them.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Wrong, a past practice is something that has been condoned but is not in the CBA. If a CBA has language stating that you must be relieved before going home or must notify a member of management before going you go home, it is a terminable offense. A past practice cannot supersede contract language.

I was wrong, in that a past practice is actually considered part of the contract, and the union and management must negotiate to change it. So progressive discipline is out, let alone termination. If the past practice conflicts with what is written in the contract it is more difficult to prove, but the final decision belongs to an arbitrator.

In further researching "job abandonment", the term generally refers to no-call no-show situations, not simply clocking out before you get management approval. I will look for it, but if anyone can point me in the direction of the article that states that clocking out without management approval is a terminable offense, I would appreciate it.

Granted that drivers are a different work group, but most drivers I know don't get approval before clocking out. Preload sups want preloaders clocking out as soon as possible, so it's easy to understand why someone would think it's ok to clock out as soon as their assigned work is complete, and it would be up to the sup to make sure you know that you need to stick around longer.

Just because management throws around technical jargon doesn't mean it applies to your situation. Don't let them guilt you into actually believing you've done something wrong just because they say so.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You will be back, but why would you not simply just ask if there is anything else you can do before punching out?

It is to easy, I don't believe for one second that is what the old manager did. You just felt you could do it and did it, you were not thinking about your child right then where you?

Act like a grown up and let it be a lesson learned.
Thanks dad....smmfh!!!

John Wall

Off My Last Name, With Gigantic Balls
UPS needs you more then you need them trust me! You're not going anywhere unless you yell out "Allah-u-Akbar" and throw a fire extinguisher at the division manager.

rod

Retired 22 years
You will get your job back. Let it be a lesson that just because you are a Millennial you can't just come and go as you please. smh

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you'll get your job back.

learn your lesson and NEVER ass ume anything at UPS. don't do what everyone else does. just follow the rules and keep your nose clean.

maybe you do have a target on your back because of your disability . they did not like workers like that at our hub.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Does no one understand past practices?

Apparently you don't either.

If you've punched out once your work is complete in the past with no issues, and others have done the same, it's not a terminable offense.

Incorrect.

If a new manager wants to run things differently, then they must start with a verbal warning, and progress through discipline.

Incorrect.

Absolutely fight for back pay.

I agree.

I agree.

Agreed. And you'd have to be a horrible pia to get fired during Peak. Sorry to be blunt, but if you weren't horrible, they'd use you thru Peak, THEN start this.

Winner.

So progressive discipline is out, let alone termination.

Incorrect.

In further researching "job abandonment", the term generally refers to no-call no-show situations, not simply clocking out before you get management approval.

Generally, but not inclusively.

but if anyone can point me in the direction of the article that states that clocking out without management approval is a terminable offense, I would appreciate it.

Not in the contract.

But, then again, neither is workplace violence. But it is a terminable offense.

over9five

Staff member
So i kind of just roam to where needed somedays they forget about me completely.

You will get your job back. Let it be a lesson that just because you are a Millennial you can't just come and go as you please. smh

That line in her first post is what bothers me. I would guess (apologies if I'm way off) that she roamed to where the least work was, or just hid for her shift. And I would guess they didn't like that when they caught on.

What they do now when they just want to teach you a lesson is give you a "working termination". You still work, you still get paid, and sooner or later it all goes away. ESPECIALLY at Peak.
Nope, they didn't want to teach her a lesson, they wanted her gone.

That being said, I still suspect she'll get her job back. If she does, I bet they never "forget about her completely" anymore...