Fired for job abandonment

rod

Retired 22 years
That line in her first post is what bothers me. I would guess (apologies if I'm way off) that she roamed to where the least work was, or just hid for her shift. And I would guess they didn't like that when they caught on.

What they do now when they just want to teach you a lesson is give you a "working termination". You still work, you still get paid, and sooner or later it all goes away. ESPECIALLY at Peak.
Nope, they didn't want to teach her a lesson, they wanted her gone.

That being said, I still suspect she'll get her job back. If she does, I bet they never "forget about her completely" anymore...

She may as well paint that big target on her back now.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That line in her first post is what bothers me. I would guess (apologies if I'm way off) that she roamed to where the least work was, or just hid for her shift. And I would guess they didn't like that when they caught on.

This is the issue I see.

The OP didn't have a set job, like a sorter, bagger, unloader, etc.

She? just roamed around doing what she wanted and then left when she wanted, without asking anyone.

And she says that she has only been back for 3 weeks.

3 weeks does not set past practice.

W

What The Hawk?

4 years with ups definetly not a newcomer.

Anyway, today im working and i get called in to a discharge paper for job abandonment.

Story goes im utility right now, because of an injury i cant lift over 50lbs and cannot be in my usual sort aisle or preloading trucks i been labeled permant disabled. So i kind of just roam to where needed somedays they forget about me completely. Most days i break bags for belts into totes, as soon as im done with my job i leave in risk of getting called out for stealing time.

Back to today, he tells me i had abandoned my job and therefore it was grounds for dismissal i was in the biggest shock because i been back for 3 weeks since my injury and have left like this before. I really wish i would have looked for a super and just daud bye before i walked out.

Steward said not to worry that i will get my job back in no time. Gave me # to BA. BA happened to be meeting up with my management today and will mention my case. If notresolved today he said it would resolve itself within a week for wrongful termination because i wasnt even given a warning or even a he said she said.

I know i screwed up by not telling at lest a part timer that i was clocking out. What are my chances of getting my job back? At this point i can even use the negative comments. Im a mess right now just thinking about my 6 month old and his benefits.
Just call the union. Talk to your shop steward.

UpsAngel

I did, i also filed a grievance for unlawfully termination without prior warning as requested by the BA. Steward was there and assured me it will be ok.

BA also mentioned this will not stick they need to use the warning system in a case like my own.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
BA also mentioned this will not stick they need to use the warning system in a case like my own.

I am sure he is referring to progressive discipline, not the warning system.

I'm pretty sure you will get back, but don't count on it 100%

The Company's position is that you left without notifying anyone. In their eyes, you quit. And they may see that as an out to get rid of some dead weight.

And yes, I may be hard on you, but you said you have been here 4 years. You should know better.

W

What The Hawk?

I did, i also filed a grievance for unlawfully termination without prior warning as requested by the BA. Steward was there and assured me it will be ok.

I was out from an off the job injury for 2 and half months. They didn't terminate ms. But I'm also not labeled permanently disabled. If they did do something wrong according to the union..chances are you'll get your job back. And when you do..watch your back and document everything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was out from an off the job injury for 2 and half months. They didn't terminate ms. But I'm also not labeled permanently disabled. If they did do something wrong according to the union..chances are you'll get your job back. And when you do..watch your back and document everything.

Did you bother to read the thread before posting?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Didn't you just start like 3 months ago and already injured?