Fired for misloads

PaidDriveTime?

wow your guys' building is harsh. We have a guy that gets 10-15 misloads a week, and sometimes more. Plus the majority of our building almost everyone has one a day. I am actually on a roll right now, ive had 3 the last month. But being fired for 3 a week or even getting threatened seems crazy to me

LKLND3380

The Weingarten Rule establishes the right of union employees to have a shop steward present at a meeting between mgmt. & union employees. And YES an employee can be be terminated for misloads. The union can just earn more initiation fees with a new employee!

You can be fired for not following proper methods but not for misloads..

My union dues are based on my hourly pay - yeah a new hire can pay initiation fee BUT their dues will be less mothly for the union....

LKLND3380

I would have to say that you can get fired for misloads. You will probably get your job back because we have a contract and getting firred for misloads is not a reason for termination. Ups will make your life miserable.

Read the lable and put it in the right truck. That is what your job entails.

If you have to slow down a bit then you need to slow down. Mistakes will bite you and make you look stupid!

If they make your life miserable just smile at them and work safe following proper methods. That may include slowing down to avoid slips and falls. An optimum carry may be only two boxes as you can not see/be aware of your surroundings.

:smart:Safety first!

LKLND3380

wow your guys' building is harsh. We have a guy that gets 10-15 misloads a week, and sometimes more. Plus the majority of our building almost everyone has one a day. I am actually on a roll right now, ive had 3 the last month. But being fired for 3 a week or even getting threatened seems crazy to me

I have heard that misloads are such a problem in South Florida that they are giving away Mp3 players, DVD players and other rewards. Maybe your building needs to implement such incentives.

W

westsideworma

I have heard that misloads are such a problem in South Florida that they are giving away Mp3 players, DVD players and other rewards. Maybe your building needs to implement such incentives.

whatever happened to "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" This whole idea of rewarding employees seems fishy to me...pshhhh:wink2:

btw I do my own preloader of the month thing for my area so I do believe in rewarding a good job. Its nothing much ($25 gift card or something) but its all I can really afford being in school and such. My guys seem to appreciate it.

rossco

apparently knowing my truck does help cause anytime they put someone else on my truck my misloads jump up cause they cant handle the bulk in my truck

Mike Hawk

Knowing the trucks does help, you can more accurately predict bulk and be ready, instead of being screwed. Most misloads happen when your in the "oh shi7" mode and desperately trying to fit everything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I could simplify driving to, Read EDD, find address, give/take box to/from person at address. Repeat 100-150 times a day.

But that would be a gross oversimplification and inaccurate way of describing a job I have never done.

No, that's a fairly accurate description. Can't believe I get $28.55/hr to do it.

dudebro

I would have to say that you can get fired for misloads. You will probably get your job back because we have a contract and getting firred for misloads is not a reason for termination. Ups will make your life miserable.

Read the lable and put it in the right truck. That is what your job entails.

If you have to slow down a bit then you need to slow down. Mistakes will bite you and make you look stupid!

The fact is you CAN get fired for misloads. "Following the proper methods" means you check every package, every day, and put them in the correct package car.
Here's the thing though. There IS an acceptable misload frequency. Generally 1/2500 is acceptable, which means most preloaders can have 1 a week (some preloaders, 2) and you're still within the guidelines we set forth for doing a good job.
Moreover, there's the contract and then real life. More than a few other people pointed it out: who do you take the time to move through progressive discipline? The preloader who had 4 misloads last week or the one who's been absent 33 times this year and late an additional 41. Contrary to popular belief, we sups don't have all the time in the world. If we're going to take time to do discipline, there are generally bigger fish to fry, as the saying goes.
The other thread of advice I saw here was also correct: Come in every day, do your job, check the packages carefully, don't get hurt, and you won't have a problem. You may be asked for greater productivity, but quite honestly, I've proven to plenty of people that if you use the methods and move at a smooth, steady pace, the productivity will be there. Misloads and injuries cost far more than 15 minutes of your time. Stay safe.

BigBrownSanta

It's been a while since I was a preloader and some things may have changed since then. But, my advice is to get into a habit of verifying. Make it part of your routine.

Verify the PAL address and the package address are the same before you stack it for an optimal carry.

Verify that you are going into the right truck when you carry your optimal load into the truck.

Verify the truck again when you search for the HIN number to put the package on the right shelf.

I had to learn the hard way not to take shortcuts and it forced me to always check the address. I used to have a bulk stop that got alot of consignee billing packages. The shortcut was to key on the green tracking label and I'd load every one of them in the bulk stop. Well, it didn't take long to find out that there was more than one JC Penneys in town. I had to force myself to read each address to verify that it was supposed to be on my truck. Eventually it became a habit to always verify the address and after time, it didn't take as long to do.

W

westsideworma

Exactly--you don't have to "know the truck".

actually if you want some of these trucks looking good you better know the truck....otherwise you'll end up with some sorry looking loads and lots of unused space. Hey thats just me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

actually if you want some of these trucks looking good you better know the truck....otherwise you'll end up with some sorry looking loads and some unused space. Hey thats just me.

There is no argument that the load would indeed be better if the loader "knew the truck" but, with PAS/EDD, it really should not make a difference, although we both know that it does.

W

westsideworma

There is no argument that the load would indeed be better if the loader "knew the truck" but, with PAS/EDD, it really should not make a difference, although we both know that it does.

yeah I know what you were saying. I agree, it shouldn't make a difference now considering that was what was supposed to be so great about PAS etc. Its just sad that it still does. A lot of my loaders know their trucks as I trained them that way (check shipping labels, know your bulkstops, etc). The problem is said unused space often shifts depending on what plan we use...making it hard to plan ahead. Though I check out my heavier trucks' dispatch so I can give the preloaders a heads up. It seems to help a bit.