Fired for misloads

Here locally, our preloaders load missloads every day, our sups and managers just move them throughout the day. Preloaders keep their jobs. But check this out, the drivers get warning letters for not calling in missloads by a certain time daily.
Our center manager tried that, several of us told him, " Fine, everyday fifteen minutes before your cutoff time I will stop on the side of the road and look at every package still in the car and call in IF I have any misloads". For some reason he decided that it would be ok for us to just call them in as we found them regardless of the time of day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have heard that misloads are such a problem in South Florida that they are giving away Mp3 players, DVD players and other rewards. Maybe your building needs to implement such incentives.

Or, and I am just spitballing here, maybe they could actually train new loaders in the proper methods of doing their jobs and then give them the time to do their jobs properly. Of course, $8.50/hour is not going to give you the end result that you are looking for.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When your paying someone the same as a burger flipper to bust his/her rear end as all of our ptimers do, you will have to live with it.

When you deal with the human element mistakes will happen, its called human error.

Do the best you can and let the cards fall were they will, mistakes happen, maybe if they were not busting out all the routes drivers would be able to deliver the missorts.

W

westsideworma

When your paying someone the same as a burger flipper to bust his/her rear end as all of our ptimers do, you will have to live with it.

When you deal with the human element mistakes will happen, its called human error.

Do the best you can and let the cards fall were they will, mistakes happen, maybe if they were not busting out all the routes drivers would be able to deliver the missorts.

I can see both sides of the coin (management and hourly) for many things but this is not one of them having done this job not too long ago. They say whatever we're doing isn't working...well no kidding we've been doing the same damn thing over and over and expecting a different result. Isn't that the definition of insanity? stupidity? I forget which (maybe both). PAS isn't the greatest thing in the world (it could be, but it isn't yet), its time to man up and admit that. It needs help in many centers (not all, some it works very well). We need to see what the centers that it works well in are doing vs what troubled centers are doing.

One thing I know that kills our service is that the unload absolutely kills the SPA people and they can't keep up....hello out of sync PALs. Sticking two unloaders on a SPA person who is new? yup we've done that. Sticking two unloaders on a SPA person who is really good but has one of the new printers that prints slower than previously? Yup done that to (this one on a daily basis). We don't LEARN. Its really simple, if the equipment itself can't keep up with the flow, what do we expect the SPA person to do? Use the force? The production numbers should be altered to reflect the equipment change....but we know it won't. You need manageable flow for it to work correctly and reliably, not walls of packages coming at you. We keep doing this hoping and praying they'll stay in sync....thats just plain stupid. Finally they listened to reason somewhat and added an extra SPA person to our sort isle (our building didn't have the room to stick them by the unload doors, it is done in the sort isle on "TROLLEYs" as they're called) in attempts to better manage the flow...I haven't heard the official results yet (just started last week) so we'll see if it made a difference. In the same token though, they probably sent even more flow down the isle due to the extra person...negating the proposed benefits of it.

its funny though red, we're told to get our hourlies to GO GO GO GO!! and then when we see the misload report they're like welll what the hell happened? Most of us PT supes get why it happens, we're all on the same page (for the most part) in my building but we're just powerless to change it. This tells us that the company really doesn't care about misloads all that much. If they did they'd actually do something about it OTHER than discipline. If you're expecting someone loading 1200 pieces in under or just over 4 hrs to never make any mistakes...well I've got some ocean front property in montana I'd love to sell you (not you personally). Yes some people MAY be able to do it, but thats the exception, not the rule. I know the people who come up with this stuff certainly can't do it. I even had an open challenge with one of our IE guys back when I was a loader...he never took me up on it. Though he did end up loading at one point...7 misloads in one car halfway through the shift (he was audited just like we all were then).

Previously, someone with that kind of piece count got to start at 330....they're lucky if they get 415/430 now. I know if loaders had more time the loads would improve....but we both know how likely that is to happen.

i disagree a bit because 'knowing the route' makes it easier to anticipate adjustments that will need to be made to the load. Going strictly by PALS sometimes makes for an ugly load.

rocket man

Do the best you can Follow the methods . When they rush ask for a shop steward, let them watch what your doing , save your job not your belt supers . screw them .

DS

Fenderbender
what is a misload?
Wow... lets go back in time....being fired at ups is like a feather in your hat,I have managed to do it once,its scary as hell,and you are back seeking our advice after ignoring us for what? 2 years?oh well maybe not 2 years but it makes no difference.Good to have you back.

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
Look go to work on time every day, work at a comfortable brisk pace and do the best you can. If your working to wreckless this is were you could be having a problem.

Misloads are human error and as long as we humans still perform these jobs misloads will happen. You will never lose your job for misloads/missorts!

im going to go one step further and say use your methods in your job. you can not go wrong with methods. and if they tell you to go faster always say your working to the best of your ability. they can not and will not fire you for not meeting their impossible production numbers. and if they do fire you for production i hope the union goes on strike that day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can see both sides of the coin (management and hourly) for many things but this is not one of them having done this job not too long ago. They say whatever we're doing isn't working...well no kidding we've been doing the same damn thing over and over and expecting a different result. Isn't that the definition of insanity? stupidity? I forget which (maybe both). PAS isn't the greatest thing in the world (it could be, but it isn't yet), its time to man up and admit that. It needs help in many centers (not all, some it works very well). We need to see what the centers that it works well in are doing vs what troubled centers are doing.

One thing I know that kills our service is that the unload absolutely kills the SPA people and they can't keep up....hello out of sync PALs. Sticking two unloaders on a SPA person who is new? yup we've done that. Sticking two unloaders on a SPA person who is really good but has one of the new printers that prints slower than previously? Yup done that to (this one on a daily basis). We don't LEARN. Its really simple, if the equipment itself can't keep up with the flow, what do we expect the SPA person to do? Use the force? The production numbers should be altered to reflect the equipment change....but we know it won't. You need manageable flow for it to work correctly and reliably, not walls of packages coming at you. We keep doing this hoping and praying they'll stay in sync....thats just plain stupid. Finally they listened to reason somewhat and added an extra SPA person to our sort isle (our building didn't have the room to stick them by the unload doors, it is done in the sort isle on "TROLLEYs" as they're called) in attempts to better manage the flow...I haven't heard the official results yet (just started last week) so we'll see if it made a difference. In the same token though, they probably sent even more flow down the isle due to the extra person...negating the proposed benefits of it.

its funny though red, we're told to get our hourlies to GO GO GO GO!! and then when we see the misload report they're like welll what the hell happened? Most of us PT supes get why it happens, we're all on the same page (for the most part) in my building but we're just powerless to change it. This tells us that the company really doesn't care about misloads all that much. If they did they'd actually do something about it OTHER than discipline. If you're expecting someone loading 1200 pieces in under or just over 4 hrs to never make any mistakes...well I've got some ocean front property in montana I'd love to sell you (not you personally). Yes some people MAY be able to do it, but thats the exception, not the rule. I know the people who come up with this stuff certainly can't do it. I even had an open challenge with one of our IE guys back when I was a loader...he never took me up on it. Though he did end up loading at one point...7 misloads in one car halfway through the shift (he was audited just like we all were then).

Previously, someone with that kind of piece count got to start at 330....they're lucky if they get 415/430 now. I know if loaders had more time the loads would improve....but we both know how likely that is to happen.

The spa in the unload is brutal. thats how Norwood ran it after implementing PAS. Bad idea, those spa stations should be at the head of the preload belts - the decap at the end. Of course the building is not designed for that type of intuitive on the fly setup!

And as of last May, I went 2 /27,000 misloads. 380/hr avg or around there. not in the outbound trailers , in small sort. It can be done, and I have seen it done in the load (though I did not make those numbers in outbounds, getting too old to move that fast)

there was a preloader next to me that had 70 (yes 70) misloads over 3 weeks! all they did was move him to small sort. I wouldn't worry about misloads, hell, it almost sounds rewarding to do a bad job and then get moved to an easier area with no sweating invovled.

It is boring back there though

Solidarity413

im going to go one step further and say use your methods in your job. you can not go wrong with methods. and if they tell you to go faster always say your working to the best of your ability. they can not and will not fire you for not meeting their impossible production numbers. and if they do fire you for production i hope the union goes on strike that day.

In my hub they say that we have to walk at a brisk pace (which they define as some objective "brisk" definition) and also load 4-6 packages a cage which is part of the 'methods' and not to do so is subject to discipline. What is the counter argument. You can say you're wrong till you're blue in the face, and we know they are but they tell the new hires this and some really believe them!

Solidarity413

I also think people are not posting whether it's a hub operation or preload. 70 misloads in 3 weeks on preload, now that's impressive! You've gotta be trying to do that one.. I've worked in the hub and on preload it's way easier to misload in the hub where you have tons of SLIC's that could go into one truck. And you will have a lot more volume.

mitchemracing4

Im now to a hub preload , First off I would like to thank all you guys for your previous input reguarding misloads . Ive been told by managment that the load rate shoudl be 250/hr And that my misloads should be no less than 1/5000 . Yet im constantly being told to rush . Ive had 4 misloads in 6 days . The first was my first day . The rest was on days I Rushed ! The days i dident rush I acually got finished about the same time and had no misloads for that day . Just thought i would mention what halped me . BTW The pal system at our hub will stack the majority of packages on 3000 and 1000 . the rest of the truck has gaping holes in between the packages lol . so yea this system sucks !

evilleace

Don't worry about it take your time and par attention it helps to check the PAL label against the regular label. If you have to stack out they will not like it but if you slow down a little and pay attention then you will do better. If you do stack out then make sure you check every package when you load it that way you don't load one that you stacked in the wrong pile.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Im now to a hub preload , First off I would like to thank all you guys for your previous input reguarding misloads . Ive been told by managment that the load rate shoudl be 250/hr And that my misloads should be no less than 1/5000 . Yet im constantly being told to rush . Ive had 4 misloads in 6 days . The first was my first day . The rest was on days I Rushed ! The days i dident rush I acually got finished about the same time and had no misloads for that day . Just thought i would mention what halped me . BTW The pal system at our hub will stack the majority of packages on 3000 and 1000 . the rest of the truck has gaping holes in between the packages lol . so yea this system sucks !

An experienced loader would not let this stop him--he would move some of the bulk around to better use the available space and then would let the driver know what he did.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
An experienced loader would not let this stop him--he would move some of the bulk around to better use the available space and then would let the driver know what he did.
What's bulk? Most preloaders cannot differentiate stops, unless they say RDR, RDL, RDC, FL1, etc... Those were the days when a loader would load your car the best way according to your delivery needs.