Fired for refusing to listen to sup?

Wilson

OP, there's so much wrong with your posts that I really don't know where to begin.

I guess I'll start with your attitude. Get over yourself. Stop looking at yourself as a victim. You're a young adult, it's time to stop acting like a kid when things don't go your way. You may think I'm full of :censored2: but you're coming off as extremely entitled and full of yourself. You think you're the only hard worker with a gung ho attitude at this company? You think you're the only one whose hard work goes unappreciated? You think you're the only competent person trying to increase his value with the company? Welcome to the real world buddy, this is common for a lot people. I'm not saying you need to quit/you're not cut for UPS, but your exhibiting quite a bit of immaturity on your part. I don't know what your plans are with this company, but if you want to drive you need to learn to cope with the bull:censored2: because there's so much more bull:censored2: to deal with as a driver. If you don't, you're just going to become an angry and bitter person, it will affect your health.

Having said that, let's talk about this company and our roles in it. If you stay with UPS long enough, you're going to become witness to managers making terrible decisions that are detrimental to the operation. Overtime you'll realize that this is not a series of isolated incidents but a trend in response to the wills of shareholders. Unless you're rich enough to become the majority shareholder at this company, there's only two things you can do. First, maintain a good attitude no matter what happens around you. Two, continue to put forth your best effort. That's it, that's all that's required from you. It's not that you're personally too stupid to make the decisions or that your expertise or input isn't valuable. It's that the entire operation needs to function like a well oiled machine. You and I are like pistons in that machine. We need to push, push, push, push as the crankshaft (management) dictates. If one piston starts providing friction, it puts stress on the machine, which is now at a less efficient level. Again, this isn't a statement about you personally. However, for the sake of the operation, we're pawns and we need to act accordingly. Work as directed even if you know better. You work as directed and let them take the fall when things go bad because they made the bad decision. Don't be the piston that gets replaced because the crankshaft couldn't move it.

Lots of good advice. Only, people can, even me, not articulate ourself or our meanings to our own satisfactions or of others satisfactions all the time. On forums like this free writing, 1st draft work, and speaking from the gut first and polishing later is common. The character definitions detracts from your otherwise good post.

Just saying.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Hi all I've been a loader for about 5 months now and I'm a very good worker and everyone knows that where I work. I moved to sweeper a few months ago, now I work the purge as well. Last Friday we had only 8 ppl working on our belt so we were very short handed and because we're the only shift Friday we had a volume of 84k so it was very busy.

Anyways I was loading varies trailers, doing e rigs, and working the purge and towards the end of the night I was exhausted. I stopped attending to the purge and helped knock out all the remaining e rigs and was clearing the floor when this a hole sup starts telling me they want me at the purge. I told him I've been working there and everywhere else all night and I'm dead tired could he find someone else that I didn't want to go and he kept asking then he yelled "I'm demanding you go." And being as tired as I was and over it I said something snarky like "what are you going to do if I don't go" and he said I'll fire you and I said go ahead then he walked off.

A few minutes later some guy who announced himself as the union chancellor introduced himself to me and said I have to listen to the sup no matter what unless it's against the law, refusing to listen is grounds for immediate dismissal. Is this true? I don't trust this guy tbh. What if I'm too freaking beat I don't get why they couldn't get someone else.

I've been there 4 months I surely can't be the only one who knows what we service and what we don't, besides the a hole forgot that on Fridays twilight doesn't work so we don't get their Missorts so all purged packages are ours. Seems like the better worker u are at ups the more work u get. There's never a reward. I never even got a ups shirt or hat. The slackers get less work and the good workers have to pick up their slack and get no appreciation and when they need to take it easy they get shunned.
First. You shouldn't be exhausted if you work at your own pace. If you are running around there "working hard" then it's your own dumb fault. Nobody cares if you work hard or not. Second. Work as directed. Whoever instructed you to do something last then that is who you listen to. So you were in the wrong on this one. If you guys are tired then it's your own doing, the faster you go the harder they will work you, and they will not fill any positions that need to be filled if they have all you rookies running around killing yourselves.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
All I'm saying is the harder you work the more work you're given and the harder you're worked. I'm sorry if being met with praise for a job well done instead of hostile threats of termination doesn't click in your brain.

This is lesson #1 a new employee learns.

Do your job. Do it well.

Don't over do your job or you will also be doing someone else's job along with yours.

Get me a steward

This is ups. This is the reason we have a union. This is the reason why there is absolutely NO required speed you have to go. If a supervisor comes over and tells you to go do something and gives you attititude... do whatever he says... but do it slow as :censored2:. They can't make you speed up. Always listen to their commands unless they are unsafe or you will be fired. Yes this place is :censored2:ed up we all know that already... just slow it down and don't kill yourself

blkmamba

This is ups. This is the reason we have a union. This is the reason why there is absolutely NO required speed you have to go. If a supervisor comes over and tells you to go do something and gives you attititude... do whatever he says... but do it slow as :censored2:. They can't make you speed up. Always listen to their commands unless they are unsafe or you will be fired. Yes this place is :censored2:ed up we all know that already... just slow it down and don't kill yourself
You don't have a union to go slow as :censored2:. You have a union to make sure you have a safe workplace. A fair days work for a fair days pay doesn't mean go as slow as you can, it doesn't mean go as fast either.

Read a history book, the people who fought for unionization would be ashamed of people like you.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Hi all I've been a loader for about 5 months now and I'm a very good worker and everyone knows that where I work. I moved to sweeper a few months ago, now I work the purge as well. Last Friday we had only 8 ppl working on our belt so we were very short handed and because we're the only shift Friday we had a volume of 84k so it was very busy.

Anyways I was loading varies trailers, doing e rigs, and working the purge and towards the end of the night I was exhausted. I stopped attending to the purge and helped knock out all the remaining e rigs and was clearing the floor when this a hole sup starts telling me they want me at the purge. I told him I've been working there and everywhere else all night and I'm dead tired could he find someone else that I didn't want to go and he kept asking then he yelled "I'm demanding you go." And being as tired as I was and over it I said something snarky like "what are you going to do if I don't go" and he said I'll fire you and I said go ahead then he walked off.

A few minutes later some guy who announced himself as the union chancellor introduced himself to me and said I have to listen to the sup no matter what unless it's against the law, refusing to listen is grounds for immediate dismissal. Is this true? I don't trust this guy tbh. What if I'm too freaking beat I don't get why they couldn't get someone else.

I've been there 4 months I surely can't be the only one who knows what we service and what we don't, besides the a hole forgot that on Fridays twilight doesn't work so we don't get their Missorts so all purged packages are ours. Seems like the better worker u are at ups the more work u get. There's never a reward. I never even got a ups shirt or hat. The slackers get less work and the good workers have to pick up their slack and get no appreciation and when they need to take it easy they get shunned.
e-rigs? purge? chancellor? wtf?

Anthonysg0113

Union chancellor, like it's the 13th century! Lol! You must British! And stay long enough you will get at shirt.

Last edited:

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Joelbaker is the reason I think cumpulsory military or some other form of "civil" service is necessary for today's youth. "I'm too tired"??? Ha Ha. That excuse is rarely used twice!

Joelbaker

Haven't you guys got it yet, this guy or gal is a troll!
How do you guys not even know what e rigs are? Unless I'm spelling it wrong, they are the big, heavy and/or oddly shaped boxes that are brought around to trailers by the little airport looking cargo cars that are the sweepers job to take care of. The purge is just what it is. Guess you've never heard of the d.a or small sort either? What about the barn? Are these names just at my hub or what??