Fired for refusing to listen to sup?

Joelbaker

Hi all I've been a loader for about 5 months now and I'm a very good worker and everyone knows that where I work. I moved to sweeper a few months ago, now I work the purge as well. Last Friday we had only 8 ppl working on our belt so we were very short handed and because we're the only shift Friday we had a volume of 84k so it was very busy.

Anyways I was loading varies trailers, doing e rigs, and working the purge and towards the end of the night I was exhausted. I stopped attending to the purge and helped knock out all the remaining e rigs and was clearing the floor when this a hole sup starts telling me they want me at the purge. I told him I've been working there and everywhere else all night and I'm dead tired could he find someone else that I didn't want to go and he kept asking then he yelled "I'm demanding you go." And being as tired as I was and over it I said something snarky like "what are you going to do if I don't go" and he said I'll fire you and I said go ahead then he walked off.

A few minutes later some guy who announced himself as the union chancellor introduced himself to me and said I have to listen to the sup no matter what unless it's against the law, refusing to listen is grounds for immediate dismissal. Is this true? I don't trust this guy tbh. What if I'm too freaking beat I don't get why they couldn't get someone else.

I've been there 4 months I surely can't be the only one who knows what we service and what we don't, besides the a hole forgot that on Fridays twilight doesn't work so we don't get their Missorts so all purged packages are ours. Seems like the better worker u are at ups the more work u get. There's never a reward. I never even got a ups shirt or hat. The slackers get less work and the good workers have to pick up their slack and get no appreciation and when they need to take it easy they get shunned.

UPSGUY72

Unless the SUP is tell you to do something unsafe you need to do it. If you have a problem with it see your Shop Steward later and file a grievance if it's a possible grievance issue..

Joelbaker

I get that it wasn't like I was refusing to work period I was clearing the floor. It's just like abuse to me. If stupid me hasn't been so attentive and leaned all the destinations our sort services, if I would have not offered help to others when I had nothing better to do instead of just standing there like others do, if i wasn't a good worker and didn't learn the purge on my own then they never could have told me anything. It's like I voluntarily lent a hand to them, didn't need to and threats of being fired is what I get in return?? I'm at the richmond ca hub we have the new (garbage) belt they're testing so maybe that's why it's different. The whole belt is one thing now so if packages being sent to trailers back up too much it'll shut off the whole belt so to stop that from happening They are purged,

UPSGUY72

I get that it wasn't like I was refusing to work period I was clearing the floor. It's just like abuse to me. If stupid me hasn't been so attentive and leaned all the destinations our sort services, if I would have not offered help to others when I had nothing better to do instead of just standing there like others do, if i wasn't a good worker and didn't learn the purge on my own then they never could have told me anything. It's like I voluntarily lent a hand to them, didn't need to and threats of being fired is what I get in return?? I'm at the richmond ca hub we have the new (garbage) belt they're testing so maybe that's why it's different. The whole belt is one thing now so if packages being sent to trailers back up too much it'll shut off the whole belt so to stop that from happening They are purged,

LOL What part of Work as Directed don't you understand ??? You don't get to choose what you want to do or not want to do.

It appears your stay at UPS is going to be short....

Joelbaker

Not sure if it's a grievance issue but it's just messed up. I feel like a work horse being ran into the ground. I never should have tried to help anyone and just stuck doing my trailer. All the things I go out of my way to do there and I Refuse to do one thing becuase I'm burnt out. Friday's are horrible for us as is but they moved twilight to Sunday so we do both their stuff and ours and they don't even give us our 30 minute, they make us take our 15 2 hours after we get there as a building break and we don't get a second 15 minute break either. That's really messed up but I guess I'll just do it and do it really slowly then next time

Joelbaker

LOL What part of Work as Directed don't you understand ??? You don't get to choose what you want to do or not want to do.

It appears your stay at UPS is going to be short....
Hmm well I chose to learn all the destinations and to learn the purge on my own, no one told me I do it I thought I'd be appreciated and instead I'm being tortured for my good efforts and hard work. I understand we are supposed to listen but can you not fathom from a moral standpoint how abused and :censored2:ed up this makes me feel? I don't get how good work is rewarded with more work and threats of being fired when the :censored2: workers who hardly load their trailers properly and don't care to help anyone else are left alone and me the one who's doing a good job is at risk for dismissal. This is absurd.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
What is a purge?
image.jpg

Joelbaker

Does it really matter. The OP think he can tell them what he going to do and not going to do...
Well excuse me for trying learn other positions that want required if me and to lend a hand where I didn't need to. Try to be helpful at ups and they make u into a criminal

T

Turdferguson

Hmm well I chose to learn all the destinations and to learn the purge on my own, no one told me I do it I thought I'd be appreciated and instead I'm being tortured for my good efforts and hard work. I understand we are supposed to listen but can you not fathom from a moral standpoint how abused and :censored2:ed up this makes me feel? I don't get how good work is rewarded with more work and threats of being fired when the :censored2: workers who hardly load their trailers properly and don't care to help anyone else are left alone and me the one who's doing a good job is at risk for dismissal. This is absurd.
giphy.gif

Joelbaker

Hate to say it but Jesus, what a self-entitled sounding crybaby. UPS is definitely not the right line of work for you.
Oh I know it's not. I hold myself to a standard ups was never and will never be on the way it's run. Fat lazy slobs who couldn't care less about the customers packages are model ups employees. Can't believe it's sill around but I can't imagine it'd be for much longer.

Joelbaker

Stop helping other people and do your own job and itll be a little easier :) worry about you not the others.
That's exactly what I'll try to do the only is when I don't work up to that standard in met with scorn from everyone. Really wish I would have known this before hand and not try to impress them or anything becuase they don't care.