Fired for runaway.

ncupser82

Years ago when I was still a rookie I forgot to put the e brake on one of the sprinter vans, and went into the back to retrieve the package. All of a sudden it sounded like a million cars where driving past me, which was weird because I was in an apartment complex parking lot. Turns out I was going backwards down a hill headed for a 15' dropoff onto a busy road... I yelled some obscenities and jumped as quickly into the driver seat as I could, started that bad boy up, and slammed on the brakes! I put the brakes on and sat in the seat for the next 10 minutes smoking a cigarette or four thanking God!

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Car Washer

After reading all these ill provide back story. I am basically a pro union driver in a center where people do whatever it takes to stay off the radar. So I had a pretty big bullseye on my back. I was in a 4 speed manual car that was built in 1982 and is the only 4 speed in our center and earlier that day I was in a different car. Claimed force of habit for putting it in 2 gear in this particular car that would normally be low for every other car at our center. I didn't use my parking brake strictly on it being a fairly level area and like an idiot I thought that was good enough. I called immediately about the accident. Was told by the center manager about how "my job was in his hands" and that "even though I have great skills as a driver, he rather have a mediocre driver that didn't cause him grief that a great driver that files grievances and tells other how to help them abide by the bargaining agreement." Not a smart move on my part and my BA has said it is difficult to retain someone from a runaway but I still have my fingers crossed. Hoping my center manager spares me because he knows I am a great driver and can run routes blind very well and just let's me have my job back with no backpay. If not... Guess ill be wearing purple and black.
Isn't the Alamo in Texas?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Have some mercy on the poor guy. Im sure he feels bad enough as it it. Like none of us, hasn't done something stupid at one time or another? Hope you get your job back young man. Good luck
Great post G. We all make mistakes that's for sure. Good luck and we all hope you get your job back bro. Just learn from your mistakes and learn from them, jusy like everyone else.

Ouch

What's your over all work record like? That will determine the discipline in most cases.[/quote
Fortunately you are not the one to make that decision. It will be heard at panel and the union will fight for you to get your job back. If I was going off past practice which should be considered in this case I would bet you will be back to work.

brownboxman

I had a roll away 7 months after I started in 1987. I would say that the support of the center staff saved me. They saw what kind of person I was and fought for me. The next thing is tell the truth in everything.

BrownTexas

Gotta disagree with you.. if you cause a "serious injury" because you were negligent, you're more than likely done depending on a variety of factors.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1400162477.192426.jpg
this is the damage. If you notice the very small brown spot on the bumper. And as far as I know the person didn't give report it as an accident.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
View attachment 13126 this is the damage. If you notice the very small brown spot on the bumper. And as far as I know the person didn't give report it as an accident.

That definitely helps. As I said, if you have a relatively clean record and you're willing to eat some crow at your center/local level, you should be fine.

Now, if the package car had ran someone over, this would be a very different discussion..

QKRSTKR

We've had more than a few Feeder drivers have rollaways, some with just tractors, some with sets. Nobody was fired.
The yellow knob is your friend. I think cachsux says that. More than true. Can't count how many time I double check.

You ever sit in the seat and have another trailer beside you start to move and it feels like your moving? Jab the brakes and can't stop, why am I moving, bad feeling lol.

The yellow knob is your friend. I think cachsux says that. More than true. Can't count how many time I double check.

You ever sit in the seat and have another trailer beside you start to move and it feels like your moving? Jab the brakes and can't stop, why am I moving, bad feeling lol.

"The yellow valve is the center of your universe. Come to a stop? Hit the valve. Going to pee? Hit the valve. Having a grabber? Hit the valve."

Whenever I get asked to mentor a new guy when the sups are done with them I beat that into their head.

SnowCitizen

"The yellow valve is the center of your universe. Come to a stop? Hit the valve. Going to pee? Hit the valve. Having a grabber? Hit the valve."

Whenever I get asked to mentor a new guy when the sups are done with them I beat that into their head.

I pulled it at an intersection when I was bobtail because I thought I would probably have to wait at least a minute for the light to turn green and the supervisor told me not to do that. Would you pull it in that situation?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Sorry you're in that predicament. I would definitely take the advice here and own it with a humble apologetic attitude. Sadly, the deciding factor will likely be if management likes the job you do or not.
I've had a truck start to take off on me 3 times, all of them last winter with the crazy ice/layer of powder snow we had on a route that had steep icy hills. All 3 times I had the parking break on and the wheels were turned toward the curb like we're trained, but it's a scary feeling when you have to quickly hop back into the driver's seat to get the truck to stop sliding down the road.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sorry you're in that predicament. I would definitely take the advice here and own it with a humble apologetic attitude. Sadly, the deciding factor will likely be if management likes the job you do or not.
I've had a truck start to take off on me 3 times, all of them last winter with the crazy ice/layer of powder snow we had on a route that had steep icy hills. All 3 times I had the parking break on and the wheels were turned toward the curb like we're trained, but it's a scary feeling when you have to quickly hop back into the driver's seat to get the truck to stop sliding down the road.

Have you every accidentally knocked the parking brake loose with your knee as you were getting out of truck? I did that many times but luckily always had it in gear so it didn't roll away. On a similar note I docked the gear shift into neutral carrying packages out of cab (manual trans) many times but also luckily had parking brake on. That is why you should always use both at every stop.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I had 1 too my first summer driving. I was parked with the truck running and truck in neutral with the emergency brake on. I went to get mom moms signature for a box, she signed for it and said something to me. I couldn't hear what she said the first time so I asked her again what did you say? She said your truck is rolling backwards. I guess the street had a little tilt to it and the emergency brake popped. It was rolling backwards toward the road which was like the main street going to the beach on this side road. I turned around and ran like hell to the truck. You would have thought homeboy was USAIN BOLT running to the truck lol. I guess that 4.46 40 yard dash time time I ran in high school came in handy because I caught up to the truck and slammed my foot on the break. Saved my :censored2: on that one. Needless to say that was one of the last times I ever left the truck on for getting a signature on a road that I had any doubt about whether the road was a level street or not. Definitely learned from that stupid brain fart lol.