Fired for runaway.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That's almost funny.

My mech, a female army vet, would twist his head off and crap in the hole and that's if she was in a good mood. Show her respect and she will take care of everything you ask. Talk down to her and make your peace with God.

I personally am in love with her.
When I even obliquely try dress down a driver on a DVIR when they won't talk in person or otherwise, the jump past my supervisor and over him. When I have reciprocal concerns, my center laughs at me.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I even obliquely try dress down a driver on a DVIR when they won't talk in person or otherwise, the jump past my supervisor and over him. When I have reciprocal concerns, my center laughs at me.

A driver should know better than to mess with his mechanic. You should red tag his package car and force him to drive a POS spare while you are waiting for "parts on order".

My former partner no longer works for UPS. He was formerly Air Force with a short Iraq deployment. Make what you will of it. I could do damage to people who offend my sensibilities, but I value my employment more.

No need to lose your job. But know how to get even. As mentioned, when their rig comes in for a headlight give it back to them a month later after you've found all the other safety issues you've stumbled across as a good mechanic.

A driver should know better than to mess with his mechanic. You should red tag his package car and force him to drive a POS spare while you are waiting for "parts on order".

Here, anyone dumb enough to mess with their mech better not do it around other drivers as well because they will step in to back up the guys with the wrenches.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Thanks for the comforting words, guys. I hope this is true here as well, but it currently looks like the drivers and the center as well are trying to pick a fight judging by their actions. Not enough room to give the most recent examples.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
I don't have a company mechanic, we have to use a local shop but my sister has an awesome guy at her center who loves popcorn so every Friday she picks up a big bag from the theater on her route gift him and she's got the best running PC with all the bells & whistles!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was a victim of this one. I wrote up too much stuff at once on a Friday so the mechanic made up some BS excuse about the differential making noise & red tagged the new workhorse 700 I was driving at the time...then went on vacation. After 2 weeks I went to the guy and said listen, didn't mean to piss you off. I learned my lesson and won't write up so much at once. He smiled and said nah, it's not that--but I'll see if my sup will let me untag it...

I was a victim of this one. I wrote up too much stuff at once on a Friday so the mechanic made up some BS excuse about the differential making noise & red tagged the new workhorse 700 I was driving at the time...then went on vacation. After 2 weeks I went to the guy and said listen, didn't mean to piss you off. I learned my lesson and won't write up so much at once. He smiled and said nah, it's not that--but I'll see if my sup will let me untag it...

There's nothing wrong with writing up a bunch of stuff on Friday IF you found all those issues on Friday. But if you've been shining stuff off, especially safety issues, because you didn't want to give up your rig then you deserve what you get and hopefully the worst of it is just your mech teaching you a lesson.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I would always tip my mechanic at x-mas time each year. You'd really not believe what they'd do for you to keep you in a great running machine after this.

There's nothing wrong with writing up a bunch of stuff on Friday IF you found all those issues on Friday. But if you've been shining stuff off, especially safety issues, because you didn't want to give up your rig then you deserve what you get and hopefully the worst of it is just your mech teaching you a lesson.
And Im not buying one stinking word of your signature!

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I didn't ask if you were in the right or the wrong. I just asked in hindsight if putting a bulls-eye on your back was a smart thing to do and if you would continue to put a target on your back. I am inferring based on your answer that you will continue to put a target on your back. If your mgr believes that, then he\she may push hard to make it so you don't come back. I hope if your mgr asked the same question to you, you would answer a bit differently.

This line, "If your mgr believes that, then he/she may push hard to make it so you don't come back." is so true of what the hourlies have to put up with at UPS all over the nation. You sir, are the problem with this company. He has every right under the contract to file when management doesn't follow the rules. And you, looking for anybody to fire for doing so is a complete a$$hat.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-7.jpeg
you're giving it up? lol

beentheredonethat

After reading all these ill provide back story. I am basically a pro union driver in a center where people do whatever it takes to stay off the radar. So I had a pretty big bullseye on my back. I was in a 4 speed manual car that was built in 1982 and is the only 4 speed in our center and earlier that day I was in a different car. Claimed force of habit for putting it in 2 gear in this particular car that would normally be low for every other car at our center. I didn't use my parking brake strictly on it being a fairly level area and like an idiot I thought that was good enough. I called immediately about the accident. Was told by the center manager about how "my job was in his hands" and that "even though I have great skills as a driver, he rather have a mediocre driver that didn't cause him grief that a great driver that files grievances and tells other how to help them abide by the bargaining agreement." Not a smart move on my part and my BA has said it is difficult to retain someone from a runaway but I still have my fingers crossed. Hoping my center manager spares me because he knows I am a great driver and can run routes blind very well and just let's me have my job back with no backpay. If not... Guess ill be wearing purple and black.

I don't like to hear when people lose their job and I don't want people to lose what is a pretty good job compared to other companies (FDX, couriers etc). The old story says, you can win battle after battle, but all the ctr mgr has to do is win one. I do hope you get it back, and I am in mgmt.

Here's an honest question(s) for you. I'm interested to know your answers.

1. In hindsight, do you think putting a bulls-eye on your back (your words), was a smart thing to do?
2. Assuming you get your job back, will you continue to put the bulls-eye on your back?

There has been a contract set forth between the union and ups. By me making ups hold their end of the bargaining agreement by filing grievances, who is in the wrong? My management team or me?

I didn't ask if you were in the right or the wrong. I just asked in hindsight if putting a bulls-eye on your back was a smart thing to do and if you would continue to put a target on your back. I am inferring based on your answer that you will continue to put a target on your back. If your mgr believes that, then he\she may push hard to make it so you don't come back. I hope if your mgr asked the same question to you, you would answer a bit differently.

Of course if offered my job back I would be less of a "bother" I'm just stating that I should have never had a target on me to begin with. Nor should any employee.

This line, "If your mgr believes that, then he/she may push hard to make it so you don't come back." is so true of what the hourlies have to put up with at UPS all over the nation. You sir, are the problem with this company. He has every right under the contract to file when management doesn't follow the rules. And you, looking for anybody to fire for doing so is a complete a$$hat.

Xexys... Read the entire dialogue through again between myself and BrownTexas.. I started off saying I hope he gets his job back and I simply asked a question and after his answer, I indicated if his his mgr believes that he\she may push hard to make it stick. I never said I hope he doesn't get his job back. I never said he doesn't have a right under the contract to file. I am not looking for people to fire. Again, reread the whole thing (I posted the snippets from the various posts.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I think what you meant to say was....

An employees overall work record, will determine how hard the company

will try and discipline a employee. There is a difference.

Well put, however there will be no "try", there will be discipline in this case.

-Bug-