Fired for social media?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
had a driver here on his “ last chance” agreement because of DUIs/etc subject to randoms....idiot posts himself drinking heavily on a Sunday night on “Facebook”...fired Monday.
🧔✊

tadpole

Give some examples please
I’ll give you an example. Some guy was writing on Facebook about how stupid his supervisor is, and how he’d like to give him a good knuckle sandwich. Well he was Facebook friends with other UPSers and he got walked out by security the next day for threatening violence. Did eventually get his job back.

nWo

Yes.

We had a guy live streaming. Bitching about his load, complaining about every box and what not. He was fired for stealing time. But the live stream proved he wasn't working.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Are there any rules that can protect you if they try to fire you for social media, or is it a case-by-case basis?
With the union, it's really hard for the company to make a firing stick unless it's for something really legitimate. You can grieve the termination and if they can't settle it then it usually goes to panel where it gets overturned and you come right back after a little time off. I was fired twice and came back after two "last chance" agreements. A firing for something stupid like social media probably wouldn't have a prayer of standing.

oldngray

nowhere special
With the union, it's really hard for the company to make a firing stick unless it's for something really legitimate. You can grieve the termination and if they can't settle it then it usually goes to panel where it gets overturned and you come right back after a little time off. I was fired twice and came back after two "last chance" agreements. A firing for something stupid like social media probably wouldn't have a prayer of standing.
Social media is probably only important to management who have fewer protections.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I’ll give you an example. Some guy was writing on Facebook about how stupid his supervisor is, and how he’d like to give him a good knuckle sandwich. Well he was Facebook friends with other UPSers and he got walked out by security the next day for threatening violence. Did eventually get his job back.
I’m glad you got your job back
🧔🏻🤜🏻🤛🏼

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
If the company wants to fire you, which is almost always because you cost them money in some form or fashion, they will.

If you aren’t aware of the possibility that even “private” Facebook groups for your locals are routinely viewed my management, you really shouldn’t be on the internet or posting at all.