Fired for something that happened a month ago?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
No offense Bubblehead, but your arguments aren't based on fact. I doubt you participate in any hearings. You just threw @iowa boy under the bus, based on some daydream you fabricated about his situation, no proof or evidence.
Nobody is arguing,

....you can't offend me

....and my statement is predicated by stating "I think I figured this out".

Lastly I deduced it all by what @iowa boy posted.

Thebrownblob

No offense Bubblehead, but your arguments aren't based on fact. I doubt you participate in any hearings. You just threw @iowa boy under the bus, based on some daydream you fabricated about his situation, no proof or evidence.

“U.S. Department of Labor regulations require that the nomination notice be given in a manner reasonably calculated to reach all members in good standing. In some cases election officials may have to make a special effort to notify members, but in most unions it is a relatively easy task to make sure that all members know about nominations and have an opportunity to participate.”

I think what @Bubblehead was saying is it would be almost impossible for him to never have received notice of election if he were in the union.

Nah
@Bubblehead I'm not anti union, so don't get me wrong here, but...

So these members (employees) are hired and sign a membership card
Part of the HR hiring process. No union involvement.
are orientated during their first week where the union attends (we give them a short speech and a small handbook)
There is no union presence during the hiring process, no speech, and no handbook.
have access to numerous social media resources
Only if they go looking for them. That's not the union reaching out though, that's the member looking for help.
have the option of attending monthly membership meetings
Again, only if they go out of their way to find out about them.

I believe you're a business agent now, is that correct? If this is how you do things in your local, that's great. But in two UPS facilities, in two locals, my experience has been that there is no outreach to part timers. It took me 2 months to get my hands on a contract book, and that was with me badgering the only steward I knew about. Nobody explained grievance procedures, discipline procedures, what it means to be a Teamster, etc. The part timers in the locals I was in are entirely on their own in that regard.

This has always been my biggest complaint about the union when I worked at UPS. Nobody took the time to introduce themselves or explain things. You got hired, signed the paperwork with the HR guy, they sent you to cornerstone, then you start working.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@Bubblehead I'm not anti union, so don't get me wrong here, but...

Part of the HR hiring process. No union involvement.

There is no union presence during the hiring process, no speech, and no handbook.

Only if they go looking for them. That's not the union reaching out though, that's the member looking for help.

Again, only if they go out of their way to find out about them.

I believe you're a business agent now, is that correct? If this is how you do things in your local, that's great. But in two UPS facilities, in two locals, my experience has been that there is no outreach to part timers. It took me 2 months to get my hands on a contract book, and that was with me badgering the only steward I knew about. Nobody explained grievance procedures, discipline procedures, what it means to be a Teamster, etc. The part timers in the locals I was in are entirely on their own in that regard.

This has always been my biggest complaint about the union when I worked at UPS. Nobody took the time to introduce themselves or explain things. You got hired, signed the paperwork with the HR guy, they sent you to cornerstone, then you start working.
If that's the case then I'm afraid your problem isn't with the Union, its with your Local.

Because as you can see here, this is all provided for contractually in Article 3 of the National Master.
Screenshot_20220725-065915_Drive.jpg

Thebrownblob

If that's the case then I'm afraid your problem isn't with the Union, its with your Local.

Because as you can see here, this is all provided for contractually in Article 3 of the National Master.
View attachment 393387
At my local we have an agreement with the company for about 15 to 20 minutes of time during orientation to explain the union, give out sign up cards A T-shirt if they if they sign up for drive, and other union paraphernalia and information.

iowa boy

Wait a minute, I think I figured this out, Iowa has been a "Right To Work" state since 1974....

....so if @iowa boy has "never been solicited to vote for the Executive Board, part-time or full-time stewards, or even our Business Agents" for his Local, he has never joined over his 15 years.

We can only vote in Union elections if we are members in good standings (pay dues).

SMH
Wow, now that is one hell of a bad assumption about me without asking any questions. At least you don't need any help making an Ass out of yourself.

MIght want to ask some question before you start making rather stupid assumptions about something you obviously nothing about.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
At my local we have an agreement with the company for about 15 to 20 minutes of time during orientation to explain the union, give out sign up cards A T-shirt if they if they sign up for drive, and other union paraphernalia and information.
That's not a local agreement, it's a contractual provision.

Thebrownblob

That's not a local agreement, it's a contractual provision.
Correct, The agreement is they make us aware of when these orientations happen we get a schedule that way A Steward can leave his or her bid job to head over and give his or her introduction to the union talk. We have a large facility and that was not always happening. We are right to work state and we get about 70% participation from those orientations.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Wow, now that is one hell of a bad assumption about me without asking any questions. At least you don't need any help making an Ass out of yourself.

MIght want to ask some question before you start making rather stupid assumptions about something you obviously nothing about.
Assumptions????....these were your words:

I have never been solicited to vote for the Executive Board, part-time or full-time stewards, or even our Business Agents.

This was exactly my point.

“U.S. Department of Labor regulations require that the nomination notice be given in a manner reasonably calculated to reach all members in good standing. In some cases election officials may have to make a special effort to notify members, but in most unions it is a relatively easy task to make sure that all members know about nominations and have an opportunity to participate.”

I think what @Bubblehead was saying is it would be almost impossible for him to never have received notice of election if he were in the union.

ups556

So I talked with my BA and he was explaining to me that there is a separate policy for no-call no shows and attendance. Local 952
He was explaining that after 3 or more no call no shows within a 9 month period, they can terminate me without having to go through the process I am familiar with, warning, suspension, then termination.

Is this true or is it the same process of warning letter, 1 day ,3, 5 day suspension then termination. I have only severed a 1 day for attendance and that was last year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I talked with my BA and he was explaining to me that there is a separate policy for no-call no shows and attendance. Local 952
He was explaining that after 3 or more no call no shows within a 9 month period, they can terminate me without having to go through the process I am familiar with, warning, suspension, then termination.

Is this true or is it the same process of warning letter, 1 day ,3, 5 day suspension then termination. I have only severed a 1 day for attendance and that was last year.
3 NC/NS within 9 months and you are gone.

What other job allows this level of irresponsibility and keeps you on the payroll?

Is it that hard to pick up the phone (texting should never be an option) and let a supervisor know what is going on?

Thebrownblob

3 NC/NS within 9 months and you are gone.

What other job allows this level of irresponsibility and keeps you on the payroll?

Is it that hard to pick up the phone (texting should never be an option) and let a supervisor know what is going on?
I’ve never personally heard of that, I’ve heard of three no call no shows in a row terminated but not three in a nine month period. they’re really only occurrences. I’m not sure why any local would agree to that kind of deal but perhaps it’s true.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’ve never personally heard of that, I’ve heard of three no call no shows in a row terminated but not three in a nine month period. they’re really only occurrences. I’m not sure why any local would agree to that kind of deal but perhaps it’s true.
The language that I have seen is 3 NC/NS within 9 months. Should be zero.

Thebrownblob

can’t even get people to come to work at all, not even handing out discipline to part time Employees for attendance because they’ll just turn around and leave, that’s a crappy agreement by the way I don’t like no call no shows anymore the next guy but I don’t know why I would make it easy for the company to terminate. Three in a row will get you terminated three and nine month period will do nothing here.

boxerdan

I've read that the attendance agreements between the your local and UPS and is why even locals within the same supplement have different agreements. I've never heard 3 ncns in a 9 month period and youre sacked, but if anybody knows your local's attendance policy its probably gonna be your BA.

Thebrownblob

Thank you for your input but you have no idea what you’re talking about. The current labor market will not sustain people being paid $15 an hour for the work they’re doing. It’s not my fault the company made this mess. They knew it wouldn’t work so they were paying people $25 an hour at my hub from around late August to mid January of this year. All that did was piss off everyone and they all quit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you for your input but you have no idea what you’re talking about. The current labor market will not sustain people being paid $15 an hour for the work they’re doing. It’s not my fault the company made this mess. They knew it wouldn’t work so they were paying people $25 an hour at my hub from around late August to mid January of this year. All that did was piss off everyone and they all quit.
How can my opinion reflect that I don't know what I am talking about? IN MY OPINION, there should not be a provision in the contract that allows employees to blow off work 3 times within 9 months and still have their job.

Thebrownblob

How can my opinion reflect that I don't know what I am talking about? IN MY OPINION, there should not be a provision in the contract that allows employees to blow off work 3 times within 9 months and still have their job.
Because your opinion is ridiculous there would be nobody working we are already 90 people down on one sort The idea that they care about their job is quite laughable.