Fired for unreported accident.

Purple2Brown

I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?
There is always a chance. If you do get your job back. Let this be a lesson. I know its a tough phone call to make. But a slap on the wrist and a safety ride is waaay better then being terminated. Report everything. No matter the circumstance.

PT Car Washer

If you are a FT driver, then yes you have a very good chance of coming back. If you are trying to qualify, then no you are done.

brown_trousers

I agree. What accident? That scuff has been on that wall for years. Show me your proof that I was involved. I never spoke to the store manager... only mostly joking.
Im curious. One person's word against another's. When a case like that goes to panel or arbitration, how is it decided? How much evidence does UPS need to win in those cases?

542thruNthru

I agree. What accident? That scuff has been on that wall for years. Show me your proof that I was involved. I never spoke to the store manager... only mostly joking.

I would have to disagree. Denying it and being seen on camera doing it along with looking at the damage is a guaranteed termination.

At this point I think he has a slim chance only because he talked to the owner and is admitting he hit the building. If the owner says this did happen then he should get his job back.

Box Ox

Im curious. One person's word against another's. When a case like that goes to panel or arbitration, how is it decided? How much evidence does UPS need to win in those cases?

The arbitrator sits in at the panel and is the tie breaking vote. How much evidence they need probably depends on what the driver has already said. But if you hit a store, somebody might very well have it on camera anyway.

35years

Gravy route
How many time have we seen a similar thread?

Report all accidents. We had a guy who had 6 in 9 months. He maintained employment.

To the OP...I will pray for you and your family. I suggest you do the same and also fight for your job. You spoke to the business owner, there is no denying the incident now. Talk with your BA, be truly sorry for not reporting it, and that is all you can do.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would have to disagree. Denying it and being seen on camera doing it along with looking at the damage is a guaranteed termination.

At this point I think he has a slim chance only because he talked to the owner and is admitting he hit the building. If the owner says this did happen then he should get his job back.

I was mostly kidding. I really do agree with your stance. In this particular case it's a no brainer, but in general you should see what evidence there is against you before you start confessing.

F

Frankie's Friend

They will simply back the pkg car up to the wall to see if the scuff matches up.
Another great answer einstein.
They will have to have the same amount of freight weight loaded into the pc as there was at the time of impact otherwise the bumper heighth would be different.
Your coworkers should be glad that you arent their steward.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another great answer einstein.
They will have to have the same amount of freight weight loaded into the pc as there was at the time of impact otherwise the bumper heighth would be different.
Your coworkers should be glad that you arent their steward.

Our center has done numerous "after the fact" accident reconstructions and this is exactly the way that they do it.

We had a young driver put a huge gouge in to a residential driveway. This was the same driver who had sideswiped a very expensive Corvette. In both instances, the height of the pkg car matched up perfectly to the damage.

F

Frankie's Friend

Our center has done numerous "after the fact" accident reconstructions and this is exactly the way that they do it.

We had a young driver put a huge gouge in to a residential driveway. This was the same driver who had sideswiped a very expensive Corvette. In both instances, the height of the pkg car matched up perfectly to the damage.
Who gives a flying if that was what was allowed by your management?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Who gives a flying if that was what was allowed by your management?

"Allowed"? In both instances the damage lined up perfectly to our pkg car.

In the case of the driveway----the driver had safely backed down in several times before in his usual pkg car. This particular day he had a different car that had a trailer hitch. It was the hitch that carved the gouge in the driveway.

In the case of the Corvette-----it took mgt less than a minute to determine that the damage to the Vette had been caused by our pkg car.

F

Frankie's Friend

In the case of the driveway----the driver had safely backed down in several times before in his usual pkg car. This particular day he had a different car that had a trailer hitch. It was the hitch that carved the gouge in the driveway.

In the case of the Corvette-----it took mgt less than a minute to determine that the damage to the Vette had been caused by our pkg car.
You this mentally dense?
I rest my case dude.

I should have posted allowed by management to be entered as evidence without factoring in the weight comparison and then maybe you'd get it. Then again....

upschuck

I was exonerated one time by them doing this, and the fact that the scratches that they said I caused a day or two before had rust on them.