Fired for unreported accident.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
"Allowed"? In both instances the damage lined up perfectly to our pkg car.

In the case of the driveway----the driver had safely backed down in several times before in his usual pkg car. This particular day he had a different car that had a trailer hitch. It was the hitch that carved the gouge in the driveway.

In the case of the Corvette-----it took mgt less than a minute to determine that the damage to the Vette had been caused by our pkg car.

The first story shouldn’t be an accident... and wouldn’t be reprimanded in this local ... and the second one is the driver just putting an old 90’s corvette out of it’s misery... all for the better..

BigBrown1234

Another great answer einstein.
They will have to have the same amount of freight weight loaded into the pc as there was at the time of impact otherwise the bumper heighth would be different.
Your coworkers should be glad that you arent their steward.

I agree. My manager denies more than I do. He always backs the driver then askes to see all the proof. He tells the accuser to Prove it. He doesn’t waste his time doing all this CSI bull crap that’s not his job. He calls safety and says make this go away. But that’s here in the Bay, California has so much fraud it’s pathetic. (Also my manager was a driver for like 20 years)

Things like if he has you on camera then he has you on camera talking to him making an agreement.
Why did he wait months?
Maybe he agreed the scratch was already there!
Maybe someone else made it worse later. Here in California damage over a certain amount has to be reported to police or insurance with 5 days by law.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Still seems flimsy as far as evidence goes. As if a pkg car is the only thing that could leave a scuff at that height. there could be many different vehicles responsible. Fedex truck? Usps truck? Box trucks?

Perhaps but it would rule out most vehicles; besides, once the driver finds out what is going on he/she will probably fess up.

john chesney

I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?
Probably not, you knew about it and the store owner said don’t worry about it.

john chesney

I agree. What accident? That scuff has been on that wall for years. Show me your proof that I was involved. I never spoke to the store manager... only mostly joking.
Be careful I’ve been there when you get that sinking feeling after you said this and here comes a dvd video to show you

john chesney

Im curious. One person's word against another's. When a case like that goes to panel or arbitration, how is it decided? How much evidence does UPS need to win in those cases?
If it’s truly one person word against another they will usually not take it to the panel.They usually settle at local level hearing. If they take it to the panel they usually have more evidence

Richard Cranium

I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?
Big mistake trying to negotiate with a customer. Only chance is if they really like your work ethic and have had no past issues.

brown_trousers

If it’s truly one person word against another they will usually not take it to the panel.They usually settle at local level hearing. If they take it to the panel they usually have more evidence
Are there any guidelines at the local level then? Is there a specific burden of proof that has to be met? Are they just flipping a double sided coin for the result?