Fired for unreported accident.

john chesney

Are there any guidelines at the local level then? Is there a specific burden of proof that has to be met? Are they just flipping a double sided coin for the result?
Well it’s a little complicated.If you admitted you hit whatever and didn’t report it that’s failure to report an accident and can be discharged.If you were dishonest you can also be terminated. It depends on the evidence they have. It is not a court of law there’s no burden of proof but it’s not a coin flip either. It will come down to if you were honest about it ,the evidence and how good of an employee you are. Do everything you can to get your job back at local level hearing.Talk to your BA and do everything he says

brown_trousers

Well it’s a little complicated.If you admitted you hit whatever and didn’t report it that’s failure to report an accident and can be discharged.If you were dishonest you can also be terminated. It depends on the evidence they have. It is not a court of law there’s no burden of proof but it’s not a coin flip either. It will come down to if you were honest about it ,the evidence and how good of an employee you are. Do everything you can to get your job back at local level hearing.Talk to your BA and do everything he says

I can agree with most of that. But in cases where a driver denies any wrongdoing, a termination can destroy a persons entire career/life. I would hope there would be some burden of proof to protect us from that.

john chesney

I can agree with most of that. But in cases where a driver denies any wrongdoing, a termination can destroy a persons entire career/life. I would hope there would be some burden of proof to protect us from that.
There has to be proof however it’s not specific like in criminal court.The panel or arbitrator decides the case based on the facts presented.

john chesney

How do we know that someone else didn't hit the building in the last month?
We don’t but if there’s a video of you hitting something getting out and looking at it and then going in the store and talking to the manager you are in deep :censored2:. Also were there any witnesses to that conversation.To be honest we’re all just speculating none of us have the facts

john chesney

Ya but that’s not the case here. The driver hit something and store Mgr said don’t worry about it. If he told the company that when they questioned him it’s a huge problem

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on the location. If it was a shipping/recieving area, i would say there is a good chance it could have been another commercial truck

I think that we could agree that the more time that passes between the time of the alleged incident and the time that it is reported lessens the chance that one of our trucks actually caused the damage.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?

I would own up to the accident and just say I didn't think it was anything because the store owner didn't care. Lying would trigger "Dishonesty" and add another reason to terminate. The failure to report can be explained but I'm sure it will cost you a suspension.

RoadKill25

We had a customer call and leave a message saying the UPS guy backed into and damaged our gutter. Our management team cornered me claiming I didn't report it and our Union steward also told me it would be better if I just admitted to it. I honestly didn't think I hit it but they kept badgering me I started to believe I may have and just didn't know it. Our management team even went out and did a reconstruction, but oddly there wasn't a scratch on my truck where there should have been. I couldn't sleep that night worrying about it. 2 or 3 days later they FINALLY contacted the person who was actually an apartment complex manager. manager says, "oh, I just figured it was the UPS guy since your here everyday". mother*&#_$,#@!!!!!! are you kidding me? The best part was I never got an apology from management or even a "your off the hook, we got the wrong guy" they made it seem like I may have still been lying but couldn't prove it. nearly the same thing happened a year later, but this time the culprit left a broken taillight, which got me off the hook. our team has a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We don't but how likely would it be that the other vehicle was the same approximate height off of the ground?
You are an oxymoron.

Someone already tried to get this through your thick head over the weekend, but I'll try again in hopes it may sink in with someone who may need the knowledge going forward.

Our package car frames sit on springs that compress and rebound throughout any given day, making the curb height of a bumper, rub rail, or roof inconsistent, being influenced by the amount of weight being carried.

upload_2018-3-26_13-50-43.jpeg

I believe our package cars are rated to carry as much as 26,000 pounds.
What do you think that kind of weight would do to those springs, and subsequently the height of any feature on a package car?

Tire inflation, which is also affected by temperature swings, could also alter the height of a vehicle.

Last edited:

Rack em

Made the Podium
We had a customer call and leave a message saying the UPS guy backed into and damaged our gutter. Our management team cornered me claiming I didn't report it and our Union steward also told me it would be better if I just admitted to it. I honestly didn't think I hit it but they kept badgering me I started to believe I may have and just didn't know it. Our management team even went out and did a reconstruction, but oddly there wasn't a scratch on my truck where there should have been. I couldn't sleep that night worrying about it. 2 or 3 days later they FINALLY contacted the person who was actually an apartment complex manager. manager says, "oh, I just figured it was the UPS guy since your here everyday". mother*&#_$,#@!!!!!! are you kidding me? The best part was I never got an apology from management or even a "your off the hook, we got the wrong guy" they made it seem like I may have still been lying but couldn't prove it. nearly the same thing happened a year later, but this time the culprit left a broken taillight, which got me off the hook. our team has a guilty until proven innocent mentality.
This is the problem with Ups, they never back the drivers. They care too much about "protecting the shield" that they could care less if the driver was at fault, as long as the end result doesn't hurt Ups' image.

My center manager told me a story about a driver who was charged with an accident that Ups could 100% prove the driver didn't do. They still charged him with an accident though and that is mind boggling to me!

PT Car Washer

Ever been to an apartment complex that did not have beat up gutters from people renting U Hauls when they move?

brown_trousers

Ya but that’s not the case here. The driver hit something and store Mgr said don’t worry about it. If he told the company that when they questioned him it’s a huge problem
I agree of course. It just makes me wonder if i was wrongly accused of hitting something, how easy it would be for them to find me guilty of something i didnt do

Rack em

Made the Podium
I agree of course. It just makes me wonder if i was wrongly accused of hitting something, how easy it would be for them to find me guilty of something i didnt do
Been there done that. I was accused of hitting something and Ups was going to just believe the person and fire me for an unreported accident. The only thing that saved me was the :censored2: person forged an info notice and that proved they made everything up.

You are guilty until proven innocent at Ups. Even then you are still sometimes guilty in their eyes.

brown_trousers

This is the kind of behavior that scares me. I bet it happens alot too

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Can’t be that bad.....there are employees with many terminations in their file and they still are employed..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is the problem with Ups, they never back the drivers. They care too much about "protecting the shield" that they could care less if the driver was at fault, as long as the end result doesn't hurt Ups' image.

My center manager told me a story about a driver who was charged with an accident that Ups could 100% prove the driver didn't do. They still charged him with an accident though and that is mind boggling to me!
Why is it mind boggling??? They don’t care about you or me.... never have as far as I could remember....