First day as a TCD

_Guy_

Tell me some of your experiences on your first day. I could use some tips here and there since i'll be starting on Sept 29 with a supervisor. Kind of nervous because i'm not 100% I know what i'm doing yet.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
Learn how to read a map, which side of the street is even and odd. Pay attention to all the delivery points and show improvement over the next few weeks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Generally you will have 3 days of training. Day 1 you will sit in the jump seat all day. Day 2 you will take turns driving. Day 3 is all you.

Take full advantage of those 3 days to ask any questions that you may have.

Your training route should have a mix of commercial and residential delivery stops with commercial pickup stops toward the end of the day.

Siveriano

On my center our management is changing the rules.
1st day SUP drivers and the new guy delivers
2nd and 3rd day guy drive and delivers.

and also pickups from the very first day.

When i started pickups will be given to you i think 2nd or 3rd week after your first day.

DOK

Only think of the very next stop, getting there and delivering it safely, then think of the next stop. Don't be consumed by the truck full of packages and the thoughts "how am I going to get all this done today ".

PT Car Washer

Tell me some of your experiences on your first day. I could use some tips here and there since i'll be starting on Sept 29 with a supervisor. Kind of nervous because i'm not 100% I know what i'm doing yet.
Ask your Trainer how many years he drove. If he says about 30 days, you know you are in trouble. Once you are on your own ask the regular driver and the other cover drivers how they runs the route. Then run the route like you own it. No late air, all deliveries completed, all pick ups completed, no accidents and no injuries. Do not expect any helpful advice from your management team. All they will tell you is to follow ORION.

_Guy_

Learn how to read a map, which side of the street is even and odd. Pay attention to all the delivery points and show improvement over the next few weeks
Life would be so much easier if there was GPS system in there.

Can someone also walk me through he process of the diad when i first get there? I just need to freshen up my memory.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can someone also walk me through he process of the diad when i first get there? I just need to freshen up my memory.

Punch in, put your name and ID number, scan the pkg car bar code, enter the beginning miles, download EDD.

PT Car Washer

Repetition is your best friend. For the most part all your businesses will be the same everyday. All your pick ups will be the same. Residential stops can vary but for the most part will be the same neighborhoods. Use your common sense and deliver and pick up in the most efficient way you can. Takes most guys around 3 to 4 weeks to start running scratch.

_Guy_

Pack lunch so you don't have to go looking for a place to eat. Bring bottles to pee in.
Not sure if serious about the bottle to pee in or not :/ hmm. It's that strict that they won't let you have time to stop by somewhere to pee? lol

Punch in, put your name and ID number, scan the pkg car bar code, enter the beginning miles, download EDD.
Since i can't read military time, can i just hit the "Time" soft key overtime i get there and leave? First name and last name initial? where do i find the package car bar code? I was normally scanning it on a paper during training.

_Guy_

Repetition is your best friend. For the most part all your businesses will be the same everyday. All your pick ups will be the same. Residential stops can vary but for the most part will be the same neighborhoods. Use your common sense and deliver and pick up in the most efficient way you can. Takes most guys around 3 to 4 weeks to start running scratch.
If i do not get it down within the 3 days of training, will I get terminated or will they give me more time to get it down?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure if serious about the bottle to pee in or not :/ hmm. It's that strict that they won't let you have time to stop by somewhere to pee? lol

Since i can't read military time, can i just hit the "Time" soft key overtime i get there and leave? First name and last name initial? where do i find the package car bar code? I was normally scanning it on a paper during training.

You will have time to pee on road (or on the side of the road---j/k).

Yes, you can hit the soft button for the time. The PC barcode is on the cowling below the DIAD holder. Last name and first initial.

Military time is easy. Just add 12 to the hours after noon.

Indecisi0n

You need someone to show you how to do that?

You have a watch or phone for time? Just remember business savers by 1500. All business by 1700.