First day on road

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
It may be specified, but how do you explain drivers taking lunch at 6:30 or later in the break room back at the building?
I took my lunch an hour ago at 7pm. It's supposed to be between the 3rd and 5th hour but they sure don't enforce that. I like to combine all my breaks and lunch at the end and run errands or just chill for a very long time.

MAKAVELI

I took my lunch an hour ago at 7pm. It's supposed to be between the 3rd and 5th hour but they sure don't enforce that. I like to combine all my breaks and lunch at the end and run errands or just chill for a very long time.
I wonder how you guys get around that. At FedEx, if you don't start your break by the 5th hour ( California law ) its a break violation and they have to pay us an hour penalty.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I wonder how you guys get around that. At FedEx, if you don't start your break by the 5th hour ( California law ) its a break violation and they have to pay us an hour penalty.

I guess if I went after that hour penalty pay they would start enforcing it. I don't know. All I know is, they could care less when we take our lunch but we have to take it. Otherwise, you WILL be in that office explaining yourself the next day.

MAKAVELI

I guess if I went after that hour penalty pay they would start enforcing it. I don't know. All I know is, they could care less when we take our lunch but we have to take it. Otherwise, you WILL be in that office explaining yourself the next day.
We don't go after the penalty. It is automatically added in our time card system. I just find it interesting that a non union employer enforces the law while a union employer does not.

Gloominati

D.Y.S.
I'll get crucified for saying this, but during your qualifying period, put yourself on break and then set your shelves up perfectly by the pal number. That's about ten minutes, and with the time you save from searching/digging, you'll get that time for a legit break.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I'll get crucified for saying this, but during your qualifying period, put yourself on break and then set your shelves up perfectly by the pal number. That's about ten minutes, and with the time you save from searching/digging, you'll get that time for a legit break.
I stopped doing this on day 31...but I would highly recommend doing it while you're on probation

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I stopped doing this on day 31...but I would highly recommend doing it while you're on probation
Theoretically the load should be perfect for a new driver which will help take a little stress off of them... It's the on roads job afaic to come in early and make sure the load is more than decent...that is what I would do along with printing out the deliveries and pickups and jotting down a few important things to consider or difficult issues with the route....give the driver a fighting chance mgt is here to get drivers to qualify, not to wash them out...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I noticed some of the new drivers like me taking their hour break when they got back to the hub how about that cause i just dont see how i can take it doing the day. It just so much that needs to be done

We have a group of drivers who will take their "lunch" together at a local gas station/convenience store at the end of the day; in fact, they will be sitting there as I am driving home just after 6 pm. Granted, I am sure that they all eat during the day, but "lunch" is not meant to be taken at 6 pm.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your lunch break should be taken within a specific time period specified in your supplement.

It doesn't really matter when you take it just as long as you do take it and don't just enter the times in the DIAD and work through it.

I take mine from 3:45-4:30 pm. It works best for me and my delivery route as I am close to my house at the time and my next pickup is about a mile away.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Theoretically the load should be perfect for a new driver which will help take a little stress off of them... It's the on roads job afaic to come in early and make sure the load is more than decent...that is what I would do along with printing out the deliveries and pickups and jotting down a few important things to consider or difficult issues with the route....give the driver a fighting chance mgt is here to get drivers to qualify, not to wash them out...
I got about 4 hours of training...on road kept saying he'd be riding with me again "tomorrow" never did...here they've hired about 20 new drivers in the last 2 months and they either let them go around day 25 or they blow them
Out so bad they quit...they're just using them

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
We have a group of drivers who will take their "lunch" together at a local gas station/convenience store at the end of the day; in fact, they will be sitting there as I am driving home just after 6 pm. Granted, I am sure that they all eat during the day, but "lunch" is not meant to be taken at 6 pm.

It doesn't really matter when you take it just as long as you do take it and don't just enter the times in the DIAD and work through it.

I take mine from 3:45-4:30 pm. It works best for me and my delivery route as I am close to my house at the time and my next pickup is about a mile away.

What?

Contradicting yourself here, Dave.