First Days Package Handling?

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
If we're following the labor contract, supervisors are not supposed to advance packages through the system or perform bargaining unit work. Yes, that supervisor is supposed to supervise, not help, not even a little.

So who is suppose to train the new hires? A 15 minute lesson on how to use a scanner does not produce a good loader.

They had me on help a different PD last night and the guy had been there for 2 weeks. I was scared that the wall he made was going to fall on us. He said they had him working alone from the 2nd day.

dudebro

So who is suppose to train the new hires? A 15 minute lesson on how to use a scanner does not produce a good loader.

They had me on help a different PD last night and the guy had been there for 2 weeks. I was scared that the wall he made was going to fall on us. He said they had him working alone from the 2nd day.
That's different. In most inside operations, cornerstone training is supposed to last 5 full days with regular followups until you get to 30. The supervisor can load IF the Teamster in training is there to watch him or her, but only one of them can be working at a time.

As you might be aware by now, we're not fully staffed most of the time. There's a constant process of people leaving the company in both the PT hourly and supervision level, and promotions / hiring into those jobs.

dudebro

We have a PT sup that eats her dinner and does word search puzzle books while sitting down watching everyone else work.

They shouldn't be doing that either. That's disrespectful IMHO, to be eating while the people seeing her eat have to work. The old school culture was you never eat or drink anywhere outside of a designated break area.

They should be...supervising. Training, moving people to the work, etc.

dudebro

Here's a little training. Try to save large light packages for the tops of the walls if you get any. Less trips up the load stand makes it worth the double handle, plus, if they fall, hopefully no one gets hurt.

Brownies...mmm

Here's a little training. Try to save large light packages for the tops of the walls if you get any. Less trips up the load stand makes it worth the double handle, plus, if they fall, hopefully no one gets hurt.

Thanks, Well the guys that have been training me are great. But every new hire isn't so lucky. Of course in an ideal situation or a double wide trailer you could set packages aside. But we have to work with what we get, which include irregs and 4+foot boxes coming down the belt. Since we are expected to have our scans 300+ per hour things on the side isn't always an option especially considering the safety rules making sure the egress is clear.

Load stand? Ha

Management loves their "numbers". A sup doing a bargaining unit employee's work because they purposely understaff looks good on their end, and keeps someone from having a job, so it's better that they stay out of your way. And remember, boxes of bleach, motor oil, and Hazmats, plz put arrows UP! Good luck!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thanks, Well the guys that have been training me are great. But every new hire isn't so lucky. Of course in an ideal situation or a double wide trailer you could set packages aside. But we have to work with what we get, which include irregs and 4+foot boxes coming down the belt. Since we are expected to have our scans 300+ per hour things on the side isn't always an option especially considering the safety rules making sure the egress is clear.

Load stand? Ha
Your a quick study

dudebro

Management loves their "numbers". A sup doing a bargaining unit employee's work because they purposely understaff looks good on their end, and keeps someone from having a job, so it's better that they stay out of your way. And remember, boxes of bleach, motor oil, and Hazmats, plz put arrows UP! Good luck!
We don't purposely understaff... people leave pt operations at a steady rate, so in larger operations we hire every week.

PT Car Washer

We don't purposely understaff... people leave pt operations at a steady rate, so in larger operations we hire every week.
You may not purposely under staff, just create the situation where because of the crappy pay with no benefits and the crappy working conditions employees do not have a sense of responsibility to their employer.

dudebro

Stop it. When I started as a new employee in 1988 with benefits and an hourly wage triple the minimum, people still quit constantly.

Brownies...mmm

Stop it. When I started as a new employee in 1988 with benefits and an hourly wage triple the minimum, people still quit constantly.

They were paying $9+ in 1988 28+ years ago and only $10.15 now and you have to wait a year for benefits. That's crazy

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In 1988, not just anybody could work at UPS regardless of the wages.
Now, not just any fool can work at UPS because of the wages.