First Days Package Handling?

amina123

Hi guys,

On my second day of training, spent an hour on the computer this morning learning about the truck methods etc.

Was told by my training lady that I should leave early, however for the second time I loaded four trucks myself completely unsupervised, checked off with the drivers and left after everyone else?

Is this normal?

Thanks

upschuck

When they are needing the help, yes. I guess this bodes well for after you get done with your classroom training.

amina123

Thank you very much. From what it seems it's a tough job, but I've work in kitchens all my life and it's no worse than that. I ache, but the handlers are friendly (supervisors not so much?) and it doesn't seem to deserve the reputation this job gets.

dudebro

Thank you very much. From what it seems it's a tough job, but I've work in kitchens all my life and it's no worse than that. I ache, but the handlers are friendly (supervisors not so much?) and it doesn't seem to deserve the reputation this job gets.

In my experience, people while worked in kitchens, construction, the military, or high school wrestling don't think it's a big deal. I might be missing a couple. The people up out of their Mom's basement generally can't believe it and quit in 3 days or less.

amina123

This might not be the right thread, but are the package handler supervisors as lazy as mine? I realize that union states they can't handle packages, but one supervisor called me up to empty one truck (stuffed full) into another, and literally stood there watching. Is that acceptable?

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
Hi and Welcome,

I'm a little over a month in as trailer loader. I've noticed newbies are the first to get cut if it's slow. We are the last to leave if they have to chose between $10 per hr newbie or paying OT to a full timer.

Good Luck

By The Book

It sounds as if you're able to handle stressful situations better than most...that's to your benefit. You've been here less than a week and the way you're treated (not so friendly by supervisors), and them watching you load a truck with them watching you the whole time (this seemed to bother you), is where the bad reputation comments come from. UPS is a good company to work for, but you do have to put up with some bs.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
This might not be the right thread, but are the package handler supervisors as lazy as mine? I realize that union states they can't handle packages, but one supervisor called me up to empty one truck (stuffed full) into another, and literally stood there watching. Is that acceptable?

Yes.

dudebro

Hi and Welcome,

I'm a little over a month in as trailer loader. I've noticed newbies are the first to get cut if it's slow. We are the last to leave if they have to chose between $10 per hr newbie or paying OT to a full timer.

Good Luck
This is the spirit of the contract as well, work is offered by seniority. It's specifically designed to PREVENT the company from sending higher rate, higher seniority employees home while cheaper new employees perform the work.

PT Car Washer

If we're following the labor contract, supervisors are not supposed to advance packages through the system or perform bargaining unit work. Yes, that supervisor is supposed to supervise, not help, not even a little.
My Local allows supervisors to work as long as it is only 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
If we're following the labor contract, supervisors are not supposed to advance packages through the system or perform bargaining unit work. Yes, that supervisor is supposed to supervise, not help, not even a little.

That's what I said in one word , not a paragraph