First victory in UPS/MBE lawsuit goes to the franchisees of MBE

L

lardy

As a fairly neutral observer (I'm not UPS, MBE or even american) Lieguy is either brainless or being devious if he doesn't get why the MBE folks think they've been treated badly in the takeover by UPS.

R

rushfan

I wanna see "Baston" and the Cubs.

I know proups, when they were with ups, they still were angry. Never happy.

(Message edited by rushfan on October 09, 2003)

T

tieguy

Agreed. It would be a heck of a story to see either Boston or the cubs shake thier curse.

A

abuckover

I couldn't imagine 2 teams in any sport that would be under more pressure to win than in that series.

D

dannyboy

Lemon

Try the trick of charging customers the residential rate for comercial shipments. Anything to make a buck.

Many places were charging 8-10 bucks over the UPS rate, and swearing that that was the UPS rate, not theirs.

Also have seen them not give refunds on packages that were damaged or lost, stating the claim was turned down by UPS, when in fact UPS paid the claim.

Told cutomers that "this package is too large to send UPS, charge frieght rates, then send it out UPS and pocket the 90 bucks difference.

So while you paint UPS as a demon, and MBE's as saints, it just aint so.

So while I enjoy a lively debate, I hate responding to crybabies that never change the tune. So unless you have something different to say, last post on this subject.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on October 11, 2003)

L

loyalmbe

Dannyboy,

You make a lot of accusations, show me the proof.
I don't think every MBE owner has always been perfect, nor is every UPS person a demon.

Tell us when and where these alleged frauds upon the public took place. Also, are the people that you alledge committed them still MBE stores, or have they converted to UPS.

And while you are at it, might you comment on the fact that UPS never owns up to its service failures unless called on them. If they were totally honest, would they not simply not bill for things they know they failed to do on time, rather than waiting to see if they get caught within an arbitrary 14 day limit.

As far as charging for freight and shipping by UPS, show us the freight bill given the customer and the invoice from UPS for regular package processing, and I will be happy to agree that what was done was wrong in that case. If you have no proof, button your lip.

L

loyalmbe

lieguy, abuckover

This topic was established for discussion of progress of the franchisees versus MBE/UPS lawsuits.

In as much as you seem to have nothing meaningful to contribute, why don't you create another topic for your baseball discussion.

P

proups

loyalmbe: I would have to agree with dannyboy on MBE's practice of charging more than published rates. I went on vacation a few years ago and had to send a something to a relative in a second day air letter. That would have cost me about $7 at a UPS counter, but the MBE charged me $19!! When I questioned the MBE clerk, she told me that was what they had to charge because of UPS rates.

I understand making a profit, but you guys were making a killing and blaming it on UPS. Now that UPS has bought MBE, you probably don't see the profits you were used to....and deservedly so in my opinion.

I think the UPS Store idea is great. They are more convenient to people who want to use our services. Again, if you don't like it, you can sell it!

A

abuckover

Can you not confine yourself to the whinefest that is the UPS Yahoo board? I'll post whatever I want on any thread I want, especially one started and propagated by you or any of your self-pitying ilk. Ignore or threadjack these people and they will go away, people. This is the only time I will be responding to any of you professional MBE trolls. Go SOX!!!

L

loyalmbe

Proups, you are judging a whole universe of MBE's on the basis of one package you shipped years ago.
That is a pretty narrow experience to base an opinion on. I don't need to "sell it", I like being a Mail Boxes Etc.

Abuckover, I thought you were a jerk, now you have proved it. You don't even have the common decency to stay on topic or start a new one.

T

tieguy

Hey guys earnings info comes out in about week how do you think we'll do? I'm thinking we may beating the whisper by about 4 to 5 cents this time.

T

tieguy

Anyone else hearing strong rumors about our buying a frieght company. I've heard them fly for about 2 years but there now seems to be a lot more intensity behind the latest ones.

C

capnroxxor

Threadjacking is welcome. Thanks for keeping this topic at the top and relieving us the effort of bumping it ourselves.
wink.gif

P

proups

loyalmbe: I described my experience to show how much MBEs jack up UPS rates. You didn't deny it. I know it is true because I've been in many MBEs and have seen what they charge people.

The UPS Store stopped this outrageous mark-up. That seems to be your main beef on this thread. You state that UPS has failed to make The UPS Stores successful. I disagree. If you mean that The UPS Store makes you charge the correct rates, thus reducing your profits, your argument may have some merit.

You also state that UPS fails to admit it's service failures. Are we the only company whose services you sell who does that? Probably not.

The only reason that I suggest you sell is that you seem so disgruntled. I suggest the same to disgruntled UPS employees - if you don't like it, go elsewhere. They usually don't, because at the end of the day, UPS is the best deal. Same for MBEs.....

C

capnroxxor

This comes from the Yahoo board. Its a good analogy of UPS's ultimate reason for buying MBE:
==================================================

UPS wants us to remain independent contractors much like the Fedex Ground drivers are. They own their own business but are under the total control of their non-employer. Contract dictates what they drive and what they wear. They own their own trucks. They receive fixed compensation for each package they handle. If they can't make a living with their route they can sell it or walk away. I didn't like my pickup time by my Fedex driver and told my rep about it. The reply? I can talk with him but he is an independent contractor, it is his route and he arranges pick up times by his own formula.

The intent is to create the illusion that the UPSS are part of UPS. We fly their colors in our MBE2000 and use their colors for our stationary. Our sinage implys we are part of UPS. We wear shirts with UPSS on it to make the general public assume we are truly related and/or part of UPS.

Our agreement on becoming a UPSS is quite specific and says we may not hold ourselves out as UPS employees, or any part of UPS so to speak. This insulates UPS from liabilities. Note how cleverly there are three parties involved in the contracts now, not just you and MBE. They do not want our centers IMHO and they don't want AF's much either since they are still buying out areas.

With the above in mind, the UPSS owners have chosen to be moved from an "independently owned" status to a "contractually corporate controlled" status. The ongoing issues regarding passing or failing or contractual requirements for name tag on apparel indicates the level of control demanded by UPS. They have the power and prefer it that way. They will choose when to fully enforce their agreement.

They took a couple of years to put together this "flawed" plan and it will take a couple of years for them to change it to any degree that will be relavent to the centers profitability. I pray that it does not take buisness failures to bring their attention to this. Then again, there have always been failures in the MBE system due to various factors. MBE and UPS have ALL THE DATA and can easily compare the failure rates before and after.

To put things into perspective, UPS paid 50% more in one purchase to eliminate cables for their truck loaders than they did for the eitire MBE network.

T

tieguy

"Threadjacking is welcome. Thanks for keeping this topic at the top and relieving us the effort of bumping it ourselves."

AS you folks can see we have a clear admission that the MBE folks only purpose here will be to control the board.

C

capnroxxor

Untrue. Just pointing out that your attempts at threadjacking are simply accomplishing a task that you would accuse us of if we posted "bump" to keep the topic fresh. Also have any of us spammed another thread on an unrelated topic? I count 3 topics on the front page about MBE, and I nor any of the others have invaded this board. The nature of the Yahoo board gives the appearance of spam and control, but that is due to the nature of the Yahoo board. It would be a different story if it were a topic thread format as this board is. Blame Yahoo for the appearance of its board, not the posters.

C

capnroxxor

We are here to discuss the situation on a forum where we are more likely to encounter real UPS employees rather than investors. Driver input is especially valuable and Supervisors or Sales Execs who might know a little more about the situation. No disruption or unruly behavior is intended.