Fitting in gym time?

DOK

Just curious for any of you FT drivers that may have been gym rats before going full time. How do you manage getting to the gym now? I haven't been to the gym since starting full time, even before that since my wife having a baby. I've lost all motivation to work out and feel like garbage because of it. How do you guys motivate yourself to get a workout in?

Go before work, it will give you energy for the whole day. First couple of weeks will be rough though.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
image.jpg

Like this

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When I was in package car and decided to really get in shape, what I discovered was that working out was maybe 1/3 of getting there. The other 2/3's was all diet. Maybe I was stupid, but that was kind of shocking to me. I would hit the weights hard, and eat just as hard. Unless you have an unusual body type, it's hard to lose body fat without going pretty strict on the diet. My body type gains muscle fast, but if I don't watch what I eat, I gain fat just as quick. So diet is huge for me.

Being in feeders, time-wise, is actually easier to go to the gym. For me anyway. I work nights, so when I get off, it's usually midday. I have 4 or 5 hours before I go to bed. But at my age, 48, I don't waste too much of my time hitting the barbells. I'm not interested in getting bigger. I'm more interested in keeping my overall health spiked. It's taking a long time to figure out my system, but for me, it's shorter, more intense workouts. I still do full-body workouts, but I do them with kettlebells. I do cardio, but I do the high-intensity stuff, like the elliptical, but 30 seconds full blast, then a minute slower, repeated 10 to 15 times. That's what keeps me healthy.

Brownslave688

When I was in package car and decided to really get in shape, what I discovered was that working out was maybe 1/3 of getting there. The other 2/3's was all diet. Maybe I was stupid, but that was kind of shocking to me. I would hit the weights hard, and eat just as hard. Unless you have an unusual body type, it's hard to lose body fat without going pretty strict on the diet. My body type gains muscle fast, but if I don't watch what I eat, I gain fat just as quick. So diet is huge for me.

Being in feeders, time-wise, is actually easier to go to the gym. For me anyway. I work nights, so when I get off, it's usually midday. I have 4 or 5 hours before I go to bed. But at my age, 48, I don't waste too much of my time hitting the barbells. I'm not interested in getting bigger. I'm more interested in keeping my overall health spiked. It's taking a long time to figure out my system, but for me, it's shorter, more intense workouts. I still do full-body workouts, but I do them with kettlebells. I do cardio, but I do the high-intensity stuff, like the elliptical, but 30 seconds full blast, then a minute slower, repeated 10 to 15 times. That's what keeps me healthy.
It's called HIIT training. (High intensity interval training) studies have shown not only does it burn more calories than steady state cardio it also ups your testosterone levels more and increases your metabolism for hours after the workout.

It's the classic example of whose body would you rather have. A sprinters body or a marathon runners body.

Dracula

That's why I do it. I have zero interest in spending any more time in the gym than necessary. Who wants to spend 45 minutes on a treadmill or doing a bunch of sets of bench presses? Not me.

Overpaid Union Thug

People use kids as
An easy excuse to let themselves go is what I'm saying.

Looking
Like a fitness model isn't easy but most of them don't magically have more time than us.
It's not an excuse. It's a valid reason. We have little to no time after work to hang out with family. For me it didn't feel right to use that small window to run and lift weights instead of using it to hang with the family. Even if that does include watching TV.

I shouldn't have to wait until the weekend to be a husband and dad. That's why I tried sacrificing a couple hours of sleep in the mornings before work to do my thing. They are still asleep then anyway. Well, lets just say the inability for me to sacrifice my beloved sleep time is my Cryptonite. LOL

We definitely don't work fitness model hours. Not by a long shot. ;)

Last edited:

Brownslave688

It's not an excuse. It's a valid reason. We have little to no time after work to hang out with family. For me it didn't feel right to use that small window to run and lift weights instead of using it to hang with the family. Even if that does include watching TV.

I shouldn't have to wait until the weekend to be a husband and dad. That's why I tried sacrificing a couple hours of sleep in the mornings before work to do my thing. They are still asleep then anyway. Well, lets just say the inability for me to sacrifice my beloved sleep time is my Cryptonite. LOL

With our late start I feel our schedule really isn't that bad. Get to bed by 11 wake up 6/6:30 go to gym.

I'm not saying it's not valid but it's still an excuse. I know a guy that has dropped 60 lbs since feb to do a bodybuilding show. All while opening a gym becoming a landlord working swing shift and having 2 kids. One under 1 year old.

Some people choose to do whatever it takes. Some choose to find reasons not to do it. It's a lifestyle and it is one I can totally understand many don't want to live. I get that. But it's not because they magically have more time or were blessed with better genetics. It's because of a dedication that few others have.

addcut

I belonged to gyms for years and not just because of our job never seemed to workout cobsistently. 5 months ago I put together a garage gym with a power rack, adjustable bench, and some thick rubber mats from tractor supply co. I keep it simple...squats deads presses(standing and bench) pullups and rows. Its much easier now to make time and harder to find excuses. However I do try to get the heavy days in sat and sun and shorter simple routines in the week. ex. do 4 sets of squats while cooking dinner. Overall this consistency has produced gains as well as ability to handle the job better physically

Dracula

If you're interested, Google what brownslave and I were talking about, High Intensity Interval Training, It is extremely intense; it exhausts you, but the beauty of it, is you can do it and be done in 15 to 20 minutes. And you will probably get more health benefits out of it than most other workouts. But don't kid yourself: HIIT is very tough exercise.

Overpaid Union Thug

With our late start I feel our schedule really isn't that bad. Get to bed by 11 wake up 6/6:30 go to gym.

I'm not saying it's not valid but it's still an excuse. I know a guy that has dropped 60 lbs since feb to do a bodybuilding show. All while opening a gym becoming a landlord working swing shift and having 2 kids. One under 1 year old.

Some people choose to do whatever it takes. Some choose to find reasons not to do it. It's a lifestyle and it is one I can totally understand many don't want to live. I get that. But it's not because they magically have more time or were blessed with better genetics. It's because of a dedication that few others have.
Saying that someone uses spending time with the family as an excuse to not go to the gym implies that that person would otherwise not spend that time with them. Is that what you're trying to say? Cause I can assure you that spending my free time with my family is hardly an excuse to not work out. My only problem is not having the will power to sacrifice sleep in the morning to go to the gym.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Saying that someone uses spending time with the family as an excuse to not go to the gym implies that that person would otherwise not spend that time with them. Is that what you're trying to say? Cause I can assure you that spending my free time with my family is hardly an excuse to not work out. My only problem is not having the will power to sacrifice sleep in the morning to go to the gym.

He and his wife don't have children---yet. Let's see if his opinion changes when they have their first child.

Ask your sup for a few more stops. It will be a good workout and you won't have to pay membership dues.:-)

Brownslave688

You said you'd rather sleep than go in the morning.

Brownslave688

Yes I did. Especially when I clock out after 8pm like I just did tonight and get home just before 9pm. It sucks ass.
Same here man. Just got home. It's 9pm. I'll be up by 6:15. On the road by 6:50 Hitting the weights around 7:20-8:10. At the building about 8:55. 9 am start. Lol

The first few months were really hard. Now it's a routine and even on Wednesday which are my rest day it's hard for me to sleep past 6:30.

box_beeyotch

Same here man. Just got home. It's 9pm. I'll be up by 6:15. On the road by 6:50 Hitting the weights around 7:20-8:10. At the building about 8:55. 9 am start. Lol

The first few months were really hard. Now it's a routine and even on Wednesday which are my rest day it's hard for me to sleep past 6:30.

Same here. Even on weekends if I go out drinking, I'm up by 7 no matter what time I actually go to sleep.