Fixing trace problems in EDD

AKCoverMan

As a cover driver I see trace problems on most of the routes I cover. The regular drivers are used to these hickups in the route and just deliver the stops in the order that makes sense rather than the route in EDD.

What process do you use in your center to get problems in EDD cleaned up?

upsdude

Welcome to Brown Cafe!!

The dispatch sup is supposed to fix these problems. The dispatch sup in my center doesn't and will not fix any trace issues. He would rather say he did fix it and the computer changed it all by it's self.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One solution...which is rather brutal yet highly effective...is to just turn your brain completely off, forsake all logic and common sense, and run the route strictly according to EDD with NO deviation from the trace. The route will fail of course, but at least you will be able to point to EDD and proudly claim to have run 100%. You can then offer to continue to run 100% and let your mangement team decide what they want to do. Usually, this approach will help your management team to develop and maintain the "sense of urgency" they need to make the necessary corrections to your route in a timely manner. If one day doesnt do the trick, two or three almost certainly will. It is a safe tactic for the driver to use, because the company is going to have a difficult time imposing disciplinary action towards a driver whose only "crime" is to work 100% as directed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unfortunately, as a cover driver, it is not up to you to correct any problems with the DOL. You should pass along any suggestions that you have to the regular driver and let that person take it from there. I would be upset if the cover driver made any changes to my DOL without checking with me first. This is not to say that your input is not valued or that the changes that you would suggest would not be helpful. It is just not your place to change the DOL on a route that is not yours.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
One solution...which is rather brutal yet highly effective...is to just turn your brain completely off, forsake all logic and common sense, and run the route strictly according to EDD with NO deviation from the trace. The route will fail of course, but at least you will be able to point to EDD and proudly claim to have run 100%. You can then offer to continue to run 100% and let your mangement team decide what they want to do. Usually, this approach will help your management team to develop and maintain the "sense of urgency" they need to make the necessary corrections to your route in a timely manner. If one day doesnt do the trick, two or three almost certainly will. It is a safe tactic for the driver to use, because the company is going to have a difficult time imposing disciplinary action towards a driver whose only "crime" is to work 100% as directed.

I've run my route at 100% a few times just to piss people off. I've actually had the dispatch supe print me a copy of the DOL and I've put the streets in the proper order and even told them odd or even high to low. I handed the copies back little by little and eventually the DOL was in the right order. Funny how UPS goes by the same trace as the post office. Don't they know we run things differently???

Unfortunately, as a cover driver, it is not up to you to correct any problems with the DOL. You should pass along any suggestions that you have to the regular driver and let that person take it from there. I would be upset if the cover driver made any changes to my DOL without checking with me first. This is not to say that your input is not valued or that the changes that you would suggest would not be helpful. It is just not your place to change the DOL on a route that is not yours.

This is very true, collaboration is better than fixing something alone that's not even yours to begin with. Talk to the normal driver and see what he says. Take it easy also, as he may not be so receptive to the idea at first. Listen to what he has to say as well, he may have a point.

tourists24

I believe in customer service ahead of trace, so I run my route the way that makes the most sense. I usually run 50-60% trace. I have tried to get our dispatch mgr to let me come in and set things up in a better way, but he is always too busy. So until things change, I will make sure I take care of my customers first. If mgt starts to hold my feet to the fire, then I will work as instructed (as Sober has stated).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I believe in customer service ahead of trace, so I run my route the way that makes the most sense. I usually run 50-60% trace. I have tried to get our dispatch mgr to let me come in and set things up in a better way, but he is always too busy. So until things change, I will make sure I take care of my customers first. If mgt starts to hold my feet to the fire, then I will work as instructed (as Sober has stated).

Ditto, tourist24. I usually start my route from wherever I finish my air and work it from there. Unless I am absolutely slammed, then I run it 100% by edd.

Last edited:

AKCoverMan

I hear you and I agree but I am not talking about changing how a bid driver runs his route. I am talking about fixing EDD to match how the bid driver actually runs his route. Fixing obvious odd/even up/down problems. Getting rid of pickups for places that have not existed for years.

And getting new streets added to the DOL so that drivers in our remote areas don't have to contend with 5-15 "NIS" stops that are not counted in their panned dispatch.

New Englander

Trace can not easily be fixed at the center level. They have to put a proposal together and send it up the ladder to who ever in their area does the numbers.

As stupid as it sounds.

Chnandler Bong

I hear you and I agree but I am not talking about changing how a bid driver runs his route. I am talking about fixing EDD to match how the bid driver actually runs his route. Fixing obvious odd/even up/down problems. Getting rid of pickups for places that have not existed for years.

And getting new streets added to the DOL so that drivers in our remote areas don't have to contend with 5-15 "NIS" stops that are not counted in their panned dispatch.

I would still speak with the driver before talking to management. When you get your own route, you will understand. Some drivers are just so jaded by management that they won't do anything to help operations go any smoother. Some have tried to make necessary changes but have hit a brick wall. It's his/her call to make. Going behind their back will only hurt your relationship with someone you will be working with for years.

upsdude

The RDO, DOL, Trace or what ever they call it can be fixed in center. One of my co-workers stayed in the center this morning and his DOL was fixed in 30 minutes. We have a new sup who's previous assignment was dispatch sup in another center. Since the do nothing dispatch sup is on vacation this week the new guy is getting things done.

I'm anxious to have mine fixed, looks like it will be, soon!

New Englander

Trace can not easily be fixed at the center level. They have to put a proposal together and send it up the ladder to who ever in their area does the numbers.

As stupid as it sounds.

Minor stuff can be...everything else goes to Hudson NH, we were told this when it was implemented and are told this now even after having a remote route pulled back to the center. That caused major problems to his trace.

dcdriver

nations capital
Ask the driver how to run the route. I always leave trace directions in my log for when Iam out or on vaction. Most driver in our center do the same, its sucks when your next day back you have to clean the route up. Help the cover drivers out or they can screw you.