Flat tires on route

bacha29

Why not? Still can't believe you bother with this stuff. You really seem like a good dude. You at the very least should jump to express. They would absolutely love you. You'll get paid to sit there and not fix your contractors problems. With your work ethic I guarantee any workplace would be frothing at the mouth to take you.
I couldn't agree more. If Orion is going to be charged with all of the responsibilities of route ownership he should own the route. He obviously he works for an investor class owner who thinks that all he has to do now is to sit back and collect the money. If Orion were to leave as he clearly needs to do rest assured his successor will never put himself through what Orion is going through,doing the impossible just to keep that route compliant with it's contractual requirements.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Isn't that the modus operandi for isp contractor? To find people who can run their designated bid route independently?

Back in the single owner operations, sure! I don't need or want the back end of that business though....

But, with vast lawsuits saying we are really employees of Fx, and the tweaking of the subcontractor model to get rid of those single owner operations, that's not in my playbook.

What I do like about HD is I can stroll in early one day or wake up late another day. As long as I deliver everything on my pallet, I don't get any harassment from my ba, bc, bo, or whatever the investors class calls that middleman manager.

No time commitment, but I do break OrioN trace to service my business stops (less than 10 on this rural route) before closing.

I get an occasional evening appointment, but that's ok since I usually clock out 1800-2200

Zero stress except for the occasional dog danger, and with route knowledge, I can now drive around my bid area without a flashlight

bacha29

Isn't that the modus operandi for isp contractor? To find people who can run their designated bid route independently?

Back in the single owner operations, sure! I don't need or want the back end of that business though....

But, with vast lawsuits saying we are really employees of Fx, and the tweaking of the subcontractor model to get rid of those single owner operations, that's not in my playbook.

What I do like about HD is I can stroll in early one day or wake up late another day. As long as I deliver everything on my pallet, I don't get any harassment from my ba, bc, bo, or whatever the investors class calls that middleman manager.

No time commitment, but I do break OrioN trace to service my business stops (less than 10 on this rural route) before closing.

I get an occasional evening appointment, but that's ok since I usually clock out 1800-2200

Zero stress except for the occasional dog danger, and with route knowledge, I can now drive around my bid area without a flashlight
I do hope that you're getting enough out of it to justify what you're being put through and all the additional tasks you have to perform during and after the boxes have all been delivered but given all the managers, investors and other economic interests who have their hand in the cookie jar long before you get to put yours in I just don't see how there can be enough left in it for you to create a balance between the value that's being demanded of you and the value you receive in return.

OrioN

And after a long stint with no problems... on the new rear tire made in Thailand.

sketch-1523199505162.png

Sunset was in half hour...45 stops to go...

broke my plug insertion tool, my yellow harbor freight tire inflator blew the fuse on the power outlet & overheated.

A customer saw my predicament & had an air compressor, whew! I offered him my lucky $2 bill, butt he didn't take it.

Off I went to finish my route by 2235

This morning, was holding air still; shrugs and a hollow pat on the back

PS I doubt they will reimburse me for the broken tools that were my personal use. Off to EBay to get another one!

bbsam

Staff member
And after a long stint with no problems... on the new rear tire made in Thailand.

View attachment 188981

broke my plug insertion tool, my yellow harbor freight tire inflator blew the fuse on the power outlet & overheated.

A customer saw my predicament & had an air compressor, whew! I offered him my lucky $2 bill, butt he didn't take it.

PS I doubt they will reimburse me for the broken tools that were my personal use. Off to EBay to get another one!
Maybe they would if you asked them.

MAKAVELI

View attachment 188981

OrioN

Yup, called the FedEx mechanic... Off to an early beer or alcohol binge weekend, so I'm on my own.

AAA won't plug a tire butt will tow me back to base or install a spare, which I don't have on this FedEx box truck. & will take 2 hours to reach me. I'm not going to let down my customers!

bacha29

Gah, i've had 4 of em in the past month! Gravel~dirt roads in farm country sure takes its toll on the tires. I dont have a spare, but got a plug kit and a portable tire inflator in my box o tricks...

sure, i also got my AAA card & contact info for my subcontractor and local fedex mechanic but that means waiting for up to 2 hours to get to me.

Is there a way to code out my scanner when i break down so it won't count towards my on duty hours?

View attachment 86656
If I had a dime for every Amish sheet metal screw and every Amish horse shoe nail I put through tires I could own my own tire company. But seriously Orion as long as you're willing to put up with the complete abandonment on the part of your investor contractor the longer you're going to keep being victimized by it. They try to run those damn XG routes like a REIT or a string or convenience stores . What they forget is that those buildings are sitting in one stationary spot.

You're the only who can change the situation and the only solution is the George Thorogood solution......."get a haircut and get a real job".

McFeely

Huge Member

Jesus H, man. You’re killing me. 45 stops left at this time and finishing your route after 10:30? Sounds miserable.

At least if you worked for Express you would have gotten help and/or overtime. Time to quit putting up with the abuse.

OrioN

It wasn't too bad. The remaining 30 stops were in that gated 55+ community, so they flew off my truck in 1.5 hours.

It would've been sooner, but the 1.5 hours of trying to get the rim off the ground & had enough air to limp it to a customer's garage for the top off made for a longer day

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

Jesus H, man. You’re killing me. 45 stops left at this time and finishing your route after 10:30? Sounds miserable.

At least if you worked for Express you would have gotten help and/or overtime. Time to quit putting up with the abuse.
It's just his supplemental income. Lol

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

You’re wasting your time. He obviously enjoys the abuse or he would have made a move long before now.

bacha29

U mean other FedEx HD drivers has it better than my route???
From the standpoint of exploitation abuse and lack of support I don't see how it could get any worse than what you have. Keep in mind that fact that the investor class is who XG wants to own those routes. Therefore what you're doing is making your investor class owner rich as well as validating the XG business strategy as well as the need for a second income proves conclusively the fact that you're working for nothing just to support an economic class who comprise a new gilded age in America.

rod

Retired 22 years
I only had one flat tire in 30 years (UPS). I called in-they asked how much I had left and how far away I was-I told them I was done with my route and about 12 miles out - they said drive it in. The mechanic wasn't too happy with the shredded tire and trashed rim. :rolleyes: And the city wasn't to happy with the nice gouge I put in a couple miles of black top. Have I told you lately how tuff we had it?