not really FedEx- specific ~ do you tell a person they have a flat tire?

HomeDelivery

so i got done around 1830 tonight...

go to fuel up my personal vehicle at a local gas station near the hub since it's cheaper than the ones near my home.

the minivan ahead of me is fueling up & i notice a low/ almost flat on the driver side rear...

knowing how a blowout can ruin your day, i approached the driver to let her know about it.

she thanked me & i told her if you go on the highway like that, you will shred that tire up!

no kids in the back, so she says that she'll get her husband to take care of it <shrugs>

pump it up tonight & check in the morning; i told her not to load her kids in the back unless she knows it's holding air &/or just use the spare tire/rim
-----------------------------------------------------
rear blowouts can still be controlled (i experienced that); the rear just fishtails a bit... while i let go of the gas pedal and slowly make my way to the shoulder

how does a front tire blow out feel like? i'm guessin' more dangerous & you can flip the vehicle?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you notice it and say something about it you are doing the right thing.

If you notice it, say something and then proceed to berate the person you are doing the wrong thing.

HomeDelivery

no berating... she was just oblivious to the fact that the TPMS light on the dash means something

also, the gas station attendant should have told her as well... the fuel door was on that driver side

i am trained (not by the contractor, but by FedEx) to do a pre-trip on my work vehicle...so tires are one of the first things i view.

well that good habit is also done for my personal vehicles, especially when kids are involved.

STFXG

I totally agree.

Wouldn't you agree that HD took it a bit too far?
Yes and no. It's not really his place to get after her like that. But at the same time she is putting others at risk by driving on a flat tire. I'm ok with it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HomeDelivery

well she was glad that i told her about it... i just added that what would have happened on EASTER SUNDAY if she kept driving that minivan w/ the flat...

i'm not in the "ghetto section" of the town & she appreciated the explanation while we were waiting for our fuel tanks to fill... she didn't know that if you keep riding on the sidewalls of that tire, it'll shred up & would have to buy a whole new tire instead of just patching/plugging the current one

i've seen countless vehicles during my workday that have rolled-over & wondered if a tire blowout caused some of them... any driver experienced a front-tire blowout?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will tell you that if I were in her shoes I would have thanked you for your "heads up" but would have told you to mind your own :censored2:ing business had you continued to press the issue.

HomeDelivery

i didn't press the issue, the convo only took 2 min then we parted ways

that's atypical NY-er attitude? i know in the city or ghetto, i would not say anything else

she asked what would happen ~ i say are you going on the highway or just the back roads? less than a mile from home... ok you can make it, take care

barnyard

KTM rider
I have told several about flat tires. Some appreciate it, some don't. I just shrug and figure that I have done my part, what they do with it is up to them.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was at a gas station once and a woman was getting ready to put diesel in her Toyota Camry. I couldn't stand by and NOT say anything. She was Indian and didn't realize the color of the handle meant anything.

HomeDelivery

I have told several about flat tires. Some appreciate it, some don't. I just shrug and figure that I have done my part, what they do with it is up to them.

i do the same while on-duty... it's not "stealing time" since i'm walking up their driveways anyways

in my bubble of suburbia/rural areas, they do appreciate it

FedExRookie

i didn't press the issue, the convo only took 2 min then we parted ways

Good evening mam, I noticed your tire is flat and you may want to service that prior to continuing to your destination. **Give you some extra time to speak** In that condition, it can blow out while you are driving on the freeway. If you need I can help you air it after you're done pumping. Either way, have a great evening.

Timed myself, 13.9 seconds, while speaking in a conversational pace.

So 2 minutes is overkill

Lets say you told her that you liked her shoes, you wife has those earrings, and that the middle east is still a crazy mess. You would be under 35 seconds...

CJinx

I generally don't mention their flat tires but I will occasionally let them know when their jeans make their asses look too fat.
In that case, tell them to let some air out of their spare tire and put some into their flat tire. Two birds with one stone.