FMLA Insurance

So next week I will be on FMLA for the birth of my child. But I’m unsure of if I will be able to keep my insurance if I do not have a report for the week(s) I will be off. Do I automatically keep the insurance or is there something else I need to do?

542thruNthru

So next week I will be on FMLA for the birth of my child. But I’m unsure of if I will be able to keep my insurance if I do not have a report for the week(s) I will be off. Do I automatically keep the insurance or is there something else I need to do?

You keep your insurance. Though I'd make sure after a week or so that you make sure they are coding you correctly.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How long you taking off?

BlackCat

You will still retain your insurance during that time.

FYI.. they will use up any paid days (except for 1 week vacation) that you have remaining in the bank.

MattM

Depending on your local, with mine, you need one compensable ‘day’, either a punch in or paid time off, to not only get holiday pay for that week, but also to retain insurance.

For example, 5 days of scheduled off, grants you nothing. You lose insurance for that week. If any holiday falls on that week, you lose holiday pay.

1 sick day- 4 scheduled off, you retain insurance.

Disability, FMLA, Funeral, option days, option week days, vacation days, and actual worked days count as compensable time. So any combination of at least one ‘paid’ day for the week should maintain your insurance.

Now with FMLA, depending on your local contract, you may be required to give them advance notice of said FMLA. As mentioned above, they may use up other paid time off first. With my local, you need to have worked x amount of hours within a year to qualify. If you’ve been around at least 3 years, the fmla hourly requirements are at a different percentage. So make sure you even qualify for FMLA.

Basically, remind your bosses and make sure it gets coded correctly

Last edited:

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Last time I checked, I’m the dad. Does that make any difference?
If they grant you fmla the company will pay you for vacations accrued for time off (if you have any) but they have to leave you a week. So if you have accrued 3 weeks then you'll be paid for the two weeks off.
Secondly, you dont know for sure if you're the dad?:yawn2:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Depending on your local, with mine, you need one compensable ‘day’, either a punch in or paid time off, to not only get holiday pay for that week, but also to retain insurance.

For example, 5 days of scheduled off, grants you nothing. You lose insurance for that week. If any holiday falls on that week, you lose holiday pay.

1 sick day- 4 scheduled off, you retain insurance.

Disability, FMLA, Funeral, option days, option week days, vacation days, and actual worked days count as compensable time. So any combination of at least one ‘paid’ day for the week should maintain your insurance.

Now with FMLA, depending on your local contract, you may be required to give them advance notice of said FMLA. As mentioned above, they may use up other paid time off first. With my local, you need to have worked x amount of hours within a year to qualify. If you’ve been around at least 3 years, the fmla hourly requirements are at a different percentage. So make sure you even qualify for FMLA.

Basically, remind your bosses and make sure it gets coded correctly

It is National language.... and Federal law.

Section 6. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

"All employees who have worked for the Company for a minimum of twelve (12) months and worked at least 1250 hours during the past twelve (12) months are eligible for unpaid leave as set forth in the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Additionally, any employee not covered above, that has worked for the Company for a minimum of thirty-six (36) months and accrued at least 625 paid hours during the past twelve (12) months is eligible for unpaid leave as set forth below, except that the amount of leave allowed will be computed at one half (1/2) of the time provided by the FMLA."

Do your "due diligence" and research.

For some reason;

People just think FMLA and ADA accommodations, are automatic.

-Bug-

MattM

^thanks. I know the same Language is in my local section 19, so there’s likely topics that overlap each other, and appear in multiple spots. Glad to know it’s national language.

Some PT operations have guys barely getting 3 hrs/day, so they aren’t really accumulating any FMLA until maybe that 3rd year mark.they also may not be earning enough hours to stay vested. I think it’s 500 something hours a year for PT, I think.

clean hairy

^thanks. I know the same Language is in my local section 19, so there’s likely topics that overlap each other, and appear in multiple spots. Glad to know it’s national language.

Some PT operations have guys barely getting 3 hrs/day, so they aren’t really accumulating any FMLA until maybe that 3rd year mark.they also may not be earning enough hours to stay vested. I think it’s 500 something hours a year for PT, I think.
Southern is 750 hrs pt for a full year of credit.
Then it is less credit based on a sliding scale of hours worked.