Following EDD

undies

Not sure about where you guys drive, but over here EDD is a mess. I find myself very amused at how a route is set up on this system. I remember management used to get on us about following it completely and now I never hear anything about it. Seems like it's more of a "guideline" for drivers now. As a utility driver, I just follow EDD when doing a route I don't know and end up getting beat horribly.

UPSGUY72

The problem with EDD is that it's only as good as the people that originally set up the route and the whether or not the drivers keep it up to date when street are added. That being said your dispatch manager doesn't have the time to tweak the EDD every once in a while they are to busy making sure they put enough stops on each car each day no matter if they are in your area or 3 routes over....

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
from what i was told, EDD is designed to deliver a stop to every single house in the most efficient time possible, so it's supposed to really shine in peak

during the year, it doesn't always make the most sense, which is where your dispatch supe is supposed to intervene

UPSGUY72

from what i was told, EDD is designed to deliver a stop to every single house in the most efficient time possible, so it's supposed to really shine in peak

during the year, it doesn't always make the most sense, which is where your dispatch supe is supposed to intervene

"It's supposed to really shine in peak" But during the rest of the year it doesn't make sense. Who in the Hell sold you that line of crap or did you make that up yourself..

If the EDD was set up right it would "SHINE" every day. IF it isn't set up right today it isn't going to be any better during peak...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The problem with EDD is that, no matter how well it is set up, it does not factor in the existence of pickup accounts which are in a defined geographical area and must be serviced and contained within a designated span of time. The existence of 20 pickup accounts will fundamentally alter the optimum travel path that needs to be followed for the deliveries on the route.

The IE people who came up with EDD came of age in the "Pac Man" era. They are well versed in pattern recognition, computer programming and map theory, but for the most part they have never had to put those theories to the test in the real world. My route is not a Pac Man game.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I covered a route one time and on the route is a series of one way streets, if I had followed edd it would of had me going the wrong way on the one way streets on 80% of them

Johney

When I complain about my EDD dispatch(not much) I'm told "EDD is just a tool to help you with your day" Too which I reply "I was trained to follow my load from the 1000 section to the 8000 section in that order". So if I have business dispatched to my 8000 section it gets delivered last right? I'm told "NO you need to go through your EDD in the am and look for business's you may miss and break off if needed". Which I do and add miles,time,etc. My opinion is EDD would be a great tool and asset to this company,if they just put more time into it,more than 1 poor sole trying to dispatch 90 drivers(or more) in a 6 hr period(or less). I personally like the fact that I know how many packages I have at a bulk stop. Better to spend a couple of extra minutes looking for that one box they put in the end of the 2000 section that is just a few packages into the 6000 section than have to go back when you find it while delivering your 6000 section. I don't know it just seems like a great tool that UPS is not using to it's full capacity. That's just my opinion as my EDD really can't be friend'd up too bad unless our dispatcher is really trying too,but I have seen some train wrecks for dispatches on other routes.

bigblu 2 you

i would love to have edd in our center.we have someone interrogated weekly for making decisions such as too long a drive or not the shortest route,or should have went here first,second,last etc.there is never a right answer seemingly.as we speak our b.a. is taking this complaint to the panel with a driver who was accused of "running up miles".the driver took a longer route"mileage wise" yet in his decision a safer and quicker"time wise".

DorkHead

When I complain about my EDD dispatch(not much) I'm told "EDD is just a tool to help you with your day" Too which I reply "I was trained to follow my load from the 1000 section to the 8000 section in that order". So if I have business dispatched to my 8000 section it gets delivered last right? I'm told "NO you need to go through your EDD in the am and look for business's you may miss and break off if needed". Which I do and add miles,time,etc. My opinion is EDD would be a great tool and asset to this company,if they just put more time into it,more than 1 poor sole trying to dispatch 90 drivers(or more) in a 6 hr period(or less). I personally like the fact that I know how many packages I have at a bulk stop. Better to spend a couple of extra minutes looking for that one box they put in the end of the 2000 section that is just a few packages into the 6000 section than have to go back when you find it while delivering your 6000 section. I don't know it just seems like a great tool that UPS is not using to it's full capacity. That's just my opinion as my EDD really can't be friend'd up too bad unless our dispatcher is really trying too,but I have seen some train wrecks for dispatches on other routes.

J, I have the 900 #`s of the 5000, 6000, 7000, and 8000 sections of my truck loaded with business stops that have docks so the pkgs are always right there. You can set up your edd with designated deliveries for any part of your pkg car. Edd will only be as good as you make it.

Johney

J, I have the 900 #`s of the 5000, 6000, 7000, and 8000 sections of my truck loaded with business stops that have docks so the pkgs are always right there. You can set up your edd with designated deliveries for any part of your pkg car. Edd will only be as good as you make it.
I hear what you're saying, but it takes cooperation from your dispatcher and a good loader. Both are few and far in between. Numerous drivers in my center have tried to get their EDD right only to be blown off.

ChadBrunn

I was told by newly appointed center manager/old full time Sup, not to follow by EDD. It should be ran the most efficient way to keep least amount of miles as possible!! What's the point in EDD? I asked. "Follow instructions" ANSWER!

soberups

I was told by newly appointed center manager/old full time Sup, not to follow by EDD. It should be ran the most efficient way to keep least amount of miles as possible!! What's the point in EDD? I asked.

Answer; to keep IE guys on the corporate teat.

soberups

You're gonna effin' LOVE Orion...

If they are jerks about wanting me to follow it, I will simply shut my brain off and mindlessly follow it 100%. That will last for exactly one day. The next morning, I will get called into the office and instructed to ignore it and make good decisions based upon my 25 yrs of area knowledge instead. If one day doesnt do the trick, two will for sure.