Football

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!

JARED GOFFQB, DETROIT LIONS

Lions acquired QB Jared Goff, a 2021 third-round pick, 2022 first-round pick and 2023 first-round pick from the Rams in exchange for QB Matthew Stafford.​

The Rams publicly insisted Goff and his mammoth contract could easily be traded. They were right, further proving that the salary cap is only as big of an impediment as you want it to be. Goff is essentially a stop-gap throw-in to a shockingly aggressive move for Stafford, though he will be the Lions' unquestioned starter in 2021 and perhaps beyond. A 26-year-old former No. 1 overall pick with a pair of 4,600-yard seasons to his name, Goff profiles on paper as the kind of player who maybe has a next step to take. The problem is, he maxed out as a quarterback incapable of creating instant offense under one of the brightest offensive minds in the sport. If Sean McVay couldn't take Goff to the next level, the Detroit Lions almost surely will not be able to. Goff will be in major 2021 trouble if free agent Kenny Golladay is not franchise tagged. Goff's days as a frequent QB1 streamer are likely through.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The draft picks are nice for Detroit, but they're also stuck with 110 million in guaranteed money to Goff. I still think they got the better end of this deal.

Wilson1397

Maybe, but what incentive does Goff have to renegotiate? The money is guaranteed, even if the Lions cut him they still have to pay him every cent.
True. I guess we will see. I’m sure Stafford still has guaranteed money on the table.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
True. I guess we will see. I’m sure Stafford still has guaranteed money on the table.
I "think" the Lions have already paid him most if not all the money he was guaranteed when he signed the contract back in 2017. There might still be some left but it's a drop in the bucket compared to Goff's.

Wilson1397

I "think" the Lions have already paid him most if not all the money he was guaranteed when he signed the contract back in 2017. There might still be some left but it's a drop in the bucket compared to Goff's.
Yea I don’t know either.....I didn’t feel like looking it up...lol.