forced 6th punch every Saturday since peak

21Savage

My building has been forcing lower seniority rpcd's every Saturday since peak. In my center the force in list goes about 25 deep. They usually only need about 15ish of us so the ones with enough seniorty don't have to come. This is also a large hub. But those of us that they do need face discipline up to article 7 for calling out. They added more routes on Saturday than we have enough 22.4's for and divison manager basically says 'blame your union' for only allowing x amount of 22.4's.

I've gotten a warning letter so far, no suspension yet, feel like it's coming this week though. Funny how my timecard just shows "no pay" and not "call out" yet they still discipline. I'm standing my ground on this but it's aggravating having to deal with this every week with no end in sight.

Curious if any of your guys buildings have been doing this also and how your drivers are handling it.

21Savage

Also, 22.4's still get their 2 days off and Mondays are cake walks. Easiest day of the week. Have to drag ass to get 8.

Overpaid Union Thug

My building has been forcing lower seniority rpcd's every Saturday since peak. In my center the force in list goes about 25 deep. They usually only need about 15ish of us so the ones with enough seniorty don't have to come. This is also a large hub. But those of us that they do need face discipline up to article 7 for calling out. They added more routes on Saturday than we have enough 22.4's for and divison manager basically says 'blame your union' for only allowing x amount of 22.4's.

I've gotten a warning letter so far, no suspension yet, feel like it's coming this week though. Funny how my timecard just shows "no pay" and not "call out" yet they still discipline. I'm standing my ground on this but it's aggravating having to deal with this every week with no end in sight.

Curious if any of your guys buildings have been doing this also and how your drivers are handling it.
We usually have enough RPCDs volunteer. If not they make/let TCDs work. That’s rare though.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Similar situation here. They are forcing RPCDs with up to 6 years of seniority to come in on Saturdays, and are even using them to staff other centers because they don’t run that many routes on Sat. Then they offer them a day off at random in the week.
Meanwhile 22.4s get their two days off no questions asked.
UPS is garbage. The union is garbage for allowing this BS to continue. There’s a handful of us that have just reached the point where we pretty much don’t give a single damn. Write me up suspend me fire me do what you have to do but I’m not working on my scheduled day off. Sorry not sorry, see you at the local hearing.

Pullman Brown

The Union wants RPCD jobs period. They probably had no idea that UPS planned to expand Saturday as much as they have. That said, if you stick to the letter of the contract and based on the current Saturday routes our hub would have to add over a 140 RPCD jobs to our building to keep the 22.4 25 percent ratio to allow everybody there two consecutive days off. That’s not happening. Business Agent doesn’t want to lift the 25 percent which is understandable. I have no idea how you fix this disaster unless you have very strong national no six punch language.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

Best way to handle it is to pull rank on someone beneath you and stir the pot. They don’t want the rookie getting bumped off the cake route but if you have seniority rip the diad out of his/her hands...
🧔✊

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
It has been happening here for 2 to 3 years in our center. They had 50 plus RCPDs come in right before peak started. A lot of guys caved and switched their schedules to Tues-Sat with our local allowing the switch. Now after peak it has gone back to normal for the most part.

JL 0513

It's nonsensical that we have to advance so much work from Monday into Saturday forcing guys to work a 6th punch at time and a half. Then cut a bunch of routes Monday giving numerous higher seniority guys the day, where they are getting 4 day weeks. Adding Saturday ground has caused nothing but problems and added costs.

Pullman Brown

It's nonsensical that we have to advance so much work from Monday into Saturday forcing guys to work a 6th punch at time and a half. Then cut a bunch of routes Monday giving numerous higher seniority guys the day, where they are getting 4 day weeks. Adding Saturday ground has caused nothing but problems
It’s the only way to keep many of these companies business. Weekend delivery isn’t going anywhere.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

You can fight it the same way I have. Using fmcsa 392.3 for being too fatigued to safely drive. They will tell you that only applies to semi drivers in interstate commerce which is what we do. When you deliver a package that came from another state then you are in fact part of interstate commerce. There is a decision out of the 9th district in California setting a precedent on this for Amazon drivers. Do your research and fight it that way. They are not allowed to discipline you for that. Good luck on it if that’s the route you take. You’ll find little to no support anywhere from the union to ups to your fellow drivers.

Hot Carl

We've been playing this game in my center for a couple years now. It's basically Christmas year-round for RPCDs at the bottom of the seniority list and we have to risk discipline and/or retaliation for calling out on our day off. Meanwhile, 22.4s more than halfway up the list get their two days off every single week.

We never have more than one or two volunteers for Saturday, so it's the same song and dance every week. When Monday rolls around, multiple bid routes get cut, absurdly light days on most of the routes that are in that dont have extra splits from cut routes. Few if any 22.4s are forced in, and they dangle that day and Tuesday off in front of completely exhausted RPCDs, knowing we'll have a hard time saying no, all so there will be enough hours available to run all the volume they want for Saturday.

We have multiple drivers who have voluntarily passed on being bumped up to RPCDs and remained 22.4s so they can avoid 6 day weeks, and I'm starting to regret not being one of them.

Pullman Brown

I'm confused. Why is this understandable?
Our business agent doesn’t want to undermine the very public statements of the soon to be leadership of getting rid of 22.4’s. It’s not a good look for him. Hold the line. Don’t contradict each other mindset. Politics. My question is if you want your members to stop working six days then lift the 25 percent. It’s seems like his greatest concern is getting more 22.4’s moved to RPCD’s then getting guys there two days off.

542thruNthru

Our business agent doesn’t want to undermine the very public statements of the soon to be leadership of getting rid of 22.4’s. It’s not a good look for him. Hold the line. Don’t contradict each other mindset. Politics. My question is if you want your members to stop working six days then lift the 25 percent. It’s seems like his greatest concern is getting more 22.4’s moved to RPCD’s then getting guys there two days off.
Sorry I read what you wrote wrong. I thought you were saying that they already went over the limit and your BA wasn't filing for thos RPCD position.

Pullman Brown

By cutting Saturday routes instead of Monday.
If I’m a sales guy and I’m trying to win accounts and one of there reps says what can UPS offer that the other courier’s can’t. Well, one thing we can offer is we have expanded all our service areas and it moves faster then any other courier and we are about to expand to Sunday delivery. We had the best delivery on time numbers this past peak and probably the whole year so they can back it up.