forced 6th punch every Saturday since peak

Glad Im Done

My building has been forcing lower seniority rpcd's every Saturday since peak. In my center the force in list goes about 25 deep. They usually only need about 15ish of us so the ones with enough seniorty don't have to come. This is also a large hub. But those of us that they do need face discipline up to article 7 for calling out. They added more routes on Saturday than we have enough 22.4's for and divison manager basically says 'blame your union' for only allowing x amount of 22.4's.

I've gotten a warning letter so far, no suspension yet, feel like it's coming this week though. Funny how my timecard just shows "no pay" and not "call out" yet they still discipline. I'm standing my ground on this but it's aggravating having to deal with this every week with no end in sight.

Curious if any of your guys buildings have been doing this also and how your drivers are handling it.
Same problem in my hub forcing 25 plus drivers in because other drivers had no hours left. Told them I wasn’t doing it and solved the problem for them by retiring. Now they pay me 6 figures to enjoy life.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Same problem in my hub forcing 25 plus drivers in because other drivers had no hours left. Told them I wasn’t doing it and solved the problem for them by retiring. Now they pay me 6 figures to enjoy life.
Really? Here they’re about to lay off the bottom 20. I guess they really are combo drivers.

21Savage

We've been playing this game in my center for a couple years now. It's basically Christmas year-round for RPCDs at the bottom of the seniority list and we have to risk discipline and/or retaliation for calling out on our day off. Meanwhile, 22.4s more than halfway up the list get their two days off every single week.

We never have more than one or two volunteers for Saturday, so it's the same song and dance every week. When Monday rolls around, multiple bid routes get cut, absurdly light days on most of the routes that are in that dont have extra splits from cut routes. Few if any 22.4s are forced in, and they dangle that day and Tuesday off in front of completely exhausted RPCDs, knowing we'll have a hard time saying no, all so there will be enough hours available to run all the volume they want for Saturday.

We have multiple drivers who have voluntarily passed on being bumped up to RPCDs and remained 22.4s so they can avoid 6 day weeks, and I'm starting to regret not being one of them.

We've been playing this game in my center for a couple years now. It's basically Christmas year-round for RPCDs at the bottom of the seniority list and we have to risk discipline and/or retaliation for calling out on our day off. Meanwhile, 22.4s more than halfway up the list get their two days off every single week.

We never have more than one or two volunteers for Saturday, so it's the same song and dance every week. When Monday rolls around, multiple bid routes get cut, absurdly light days on most of the routes that are in that dont have extra splits from cut routes. Few if any 22.4s are forced in, and they dangle that day and Tuesday off in front of completely exhausted RPCDs, knowing we'll have a hard time saying no, all so there will be enough hours available to run all the volume they want for Saturday.

We have multiple drivers who have voluntarily passed on being bumped up to RPCDs and remained 22.4s so they can avoid 6 day weeks, and I'm starting to regret not being one of them.
Anyone lost their job yet?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If I’m a sales guy and I’m trying to win accounts and one of there reps says what can UPS offer that the other courier’s can’t. Well, one thing we can offer is we have expanded all our service areas and it moves faster then any other courier and we are about to expand to Sunday delivery. We had the best delivery on time numbers this past peak and probably the whole year so they can back it up.
Who is it that’s demanding Saturday’s
I don’t know anybody that gives 2 :censored2:s if it gets there Saturday or Monday

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Push a broom on monday. Pull seniority on the WORST route tuesday through friday. File 9.5. Then run out of hours saturday. Rinse and repeat.

Another way of thinking about it: if you want less hours. Work as long as possible. If you want more hours. Work as little as possible.

Hot Carl

Anyone lost their job yet?
The bottom of the 22.4s list is a revolving door, mostly due to them just doing dumb :censored2: or burning out.

But as for calling out on your day off, we've had a few warning letters and a couple suspensions, but as far as I know nobody has gotten the ace for it just yet.

Whither

Scofflaw
It has been happening here for 2 to 3 years in our center. They had 50 plus RCPDs come in right before peak started. A lot of guys caved and switched their schedules to Tues-Sat with our local allowing the switch. Now after peak it has gone back to normal for the most part.
TLDR: the company resorting to termination over forced 6 punches is their "nuclear" option. It's a threat they're not likely to press. Show up for your regular 5 day schedule, follow the methods, and don't lose sleep over their threats.

My local also allowed that side deal, just after peak. Forced 6 punches have been going on ever since Sat delivery started in my center. Last summer was the first time they dared to base attendance discipline on it. We had a few pending terms, but the company didn't even raise them at locals, let alone compel those drivers to fight for their jobs at panel.

The way I've looked at it is this: regardless of the contract (where, even here in the Central Region, I don't think the company has an air-tight case), if the company is resorting to discipline to cover Sat delivery, they're already showing weakness. They're short-handed on Sat. Their attempts to "force," which already imply threats to our jobs, aren't working. The only way discipline might work is if they risked taking 6 punch cases to panel and won. If they lost, their threat would be null and void. And even if they risked and won, who knows, there could be mutiny in the ranks. Needless to say even the die-hard paper-chasers get tired of doing deliveries 6 days a week, let alone low-seniority RPCDs still in progression who, in my experience, usually aren't interested in sacrificing their weekends. We had several quites last year due to forced 6 punches -- including drivers trying to qualify.

The weekend is sacred. The company might succeed in chipping away at it here and there, but once they meet serious resistance from reliable employees, terminations are only going to aggravate their staffing problem and they know it.

I will say, in my center we must've made an impression. A couple weeks ago we had severe winter weather and EC'd a mountain of volume Thurs and Fri. Center manager didn't force a soul. Several Sat routes were dispatched over 200 stops. Roads still weren't great so enough volume was rolled on to Monday to send plenty of our routes, including mine, up to spring/summer 2020 stop counts.

Cowboy Mac

My building has been forcing lower seniority rpcd's every Saturday since peak. In my center the force in list goes about 25 deep. They usually only need about 15ish of us so the ones with enough seniorty don't have to come. This is also a large hub. But those of us that they do need face discipline up to article 7 for calling out. They added more routes on Saturday than we have enough 22.4's for and divison manager basically says 'blame your union' for only allowing x amount of 22.4's.

I've gotten a warning letter so far, no suspension yet, feel like it's coming this week though. Funny how my timecard just shows "no pay" and not "call out" yet they still discipline. I'm standing my ground on this but it's aggravating having to deal with this every week with no end in sight.

Curious if any of your guys buildings have been doing this also and how your drivers are handling it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's nonsensical that we have to advance so much work from Monday into Saturday forcing guys to work a 6th punch at time and a half. Then cut a bunch of routes Monday giving numerous higher seniority guys the day, where they are getting 4 day weeks. Adding Saturday ground has caused nothing but problems and added costs.
It’s asinine. They’re just stealing Mondays work. Makes no sense at all. Now they want Sunday’s too. Mondays are going to look like the day after Xmas. We know how great that is every year.

Hot Carl

Yeah all that surepost that EAMers used to run on Mondays goes out on Saturdays now. I know that because I've been the guy they've sent to do it because I only had a few hours left for the week.

Pullman Brown

Who is it that’s demanding Saturday’s
I don’t know anybody that gives 2 :censored2:s if it gets there Saturday or Monday
I saw emails last July from corporate-Supervisor. Either there lying or that’s what some of these accounts want. It was a general email didn’t have the specific accounts names. So are you saying that some of these accounts are indifferent to whether some of there packages get there Saturday or Monday. Come on! The customers might not care but if it’s available they’ll jump all over it. Whatever. Take the Red Pill!

Last edited:

Hot Carl

Our new division manager and our shop steward mixed it up over this issue yesterday with our steward basically saying "How many more of these guys' weekends do you have to ruin before it's enough?"

Brownsocks

Just a dog
If you cut routes you cut areas that aren’t serviced which goes against getting the business of these companies.
They can shift the volume they stole back to monday,, or set the routes up like they were when Sat started. The company is paying RPCDs 60hr to work Saturdays and then paying top rate guys to sit on their ass for 2 hours on Monday. Makes no sense.